U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 10:20 AM

395 posts, read 1,153,883 times

Advertisements

All, I needed some advice. My family doctor right now is awful. I mean, he is OK treatment wise but every time I go there, the doctor is at least 1 hour late. The clinic closes at 6 PM, so I have to take permission from work to be there at least on time and then the doctor is late, every single time for at least 1 hour.

Is this normal or am I with the wrong doctor?

I am thinking of changing the doctors and here is what I have in mind. Please can you suggest if I am covering everything I need to know before I choose a doctor?

1. At least a few good reviews.
2. Clinic open at least till 7 so that I dont have to take permission from work.
3. Open at least a few hours on Saturday.
4. Pleasant to talk to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 11:49 AM

13,258 posts, read 34,646,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakhi View Post
All, I needed some advice. My family doctor right now is awful. I mean, he is OK treatment wise but every time I go there, the doctor is at least 1 hour late. The clinic closes at 6 PM, so I have to take permission from work to be there at least on time and then the doctor is late, every single time for at least 1 hour.

Is this normal or am I with the wrong doctor?

I am thinking of changing the doctors and here is what I have in mind. Please can you suggest if I am covering everything I need to know before I choose a doctor?

1. At least a few good reviews.
2. Clinic open at least till 7 so that I dont have to take permission from work.
3. Open at least a few hours on Saturday.
4. Pleasant to talk to.
Forget the reviews. They're subjective. Someone who likes a particular doctor's treatment will say he's great. Someone who doesn't like a particular doctor's treatment will say he sucks. It could be the exact same doctor, but patients have different expectations and needs.

Forget pleasant to talk to. You should want a doctor who is competent, and his bedside manner should be secondary. Yes, it'd be great if he's a real peach. But the doctor's niceness won't treat or prevent an illness.

You want someone who is licensed to practice medicine, and has hospital privileges at a local hospital. You want someone who has either been in practice for several years, or is with a group that has been in business for several years.

You want someone who is listed on your insurance provider list, if that applies.

If "family doctor" means adults and younger children, you want someone who has solid experience in pediatrics. If "family" means you, the wife, and older teenage girls, someone who has some experience in gynecology would probably be very helpful. Sometimes generalists don't know that they're dealing with an OB/GYN situation. Someone who has experience in the field, is more likely to know that it's needed. They can also often do preliminary GYN exams if a patient is having problems - such as a lump in the breast, or unusual cramping, or sudden pre-menstrual abdominal swelling.

You might want to consider the education of the doctor as well - did he get his MD degree from Joe's College of Medicine in Racine? Or did he get his MD from Yale? Not that Joe's is a bad place, but it's an unknown. Yale at least, you can be confident he had the top opportunities to learn. Whether or not he actually absorbed his education is another matter entirely..

But given the option of choosing a doctor who went to a school I -know- is a good medical school, and a doctor who went to a school I've never heard of, I'd pick the one I know about.

Also, if you're choosing a clinic, remember you don't necessarily have to see THAT doctor. You could just make an appointment with the first available physician, OR you could even make your appointment with "Dr. Jones OR the Physician's Assistant."

Most clinics allow for that. So if Dr. Jones is running an hour late, you'll probably be able to see the PA, and the PA can handle pretty much any routine medical issue.

Old 04-04-2011, 12:01 PM

Thanks Anonchick. I will try to find out more about the doctor. I know for a fact that she is a practicing good doctor for a while where I live in. I dont know whats going on, not many doctors are accepting new patients lately. So, I have to really look out also.

Old 04-04-2011, 02:08 PM

19,639 posts, read 53,524,973 times
The reason your doctor runs late could well be that s/he is taking the time to talk to patients who have unexpected problems. That's a good thing when it's your turn to be the one who needs a little more time!

Old 04-04-2011, 08:33 PM

6,044 posts, read 21,138,885 times
I would switch doctors as well. I think your list is good, and I would just add that you need to make sure the new doctor accepts your insurance. I would want a doctor that is not too far from home/work, as well.
I think the time to "doctor shop" is while you are in relatively good health, so if you should become sick, you know you have a good doctor you can count on.

Old 04-06-2011, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
The reason your doctor runs late could well be that s/he is taking the time to talk to patients who have unexpected problems. That's a good thing when it's your turn to be the one who needs a little more time!
But not every singe time though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
I would switch doctors as well. I think your list is good, and I would just add that you need to make sure the new doctor accepts your insurance. I would want a doctor that is not too far from home/work, as well.
I think the time to "doctor shop" is while you are in relatively good health, so if you should become sick, you know you have a good doctor you can count on.
Yeah Christina, I have made an appointment with a new doc coming Friday. Hopefully that goes well.

Old 04-06-2011, 08:59 PM

9,458 posts, read 15,030,133 times
No self-respecting doctor will see you on time, that brings him down to your level!

If you think a doctor will actually honor an appt, you're dreaming. Even making your appt the first of the day doesn't guarantee the doctor will see you on time. I had the first morning appt this morning, sat there in the waiting room 30 min early, that old saw--he had an emergency. Waited until about 10 am to see him. I'm convinced doctor's wait time is a power kick.

then, ever notice, when they call you back they expect you to jump up and run? Like when they say your first name, you should be on your feet, when they say your last name, you should be running towards them. Hey, wait while I wake up my butt, it went to sleep hours ago sitting here!

Old 04-07-2011, 01:11 PM

9,003 posts, read 16,139,085 times
Doc get 15min then I'm Gone. They have phones and my number, if they are going to be more then 15m behind schedule. I expect a phone call tell me, we are running late. I've mailed bills to doctor offices, Called Re-Schedule/Late Fee, For my time. One even paid it by check. Others I subtracted the amount from there bill, and when they question it they take it off my bill. And write it off.

Old 04-07-2011, 01:44 PM

4,044 posts, read 5,947,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
No self-respecting doctor will see you on time, that brings him down to your level!

If you think a doctor will actually honor an appt, you're dreaming. Even making your appt the first of the day doesn't guarantee the doctor will see you on time. I had the first morning appt this morning, sat there in the waiting room 30 min early, that old saw--he had an emergency. Waited until about 10 am to see him. I'm convinced doctor's wait time is a power kick.

then, ever notice, when they call you back they expect you to jump up and run? Like when they say your first name, you should be on your feet, when they say your last name, you should be running towards them. Hey, wait while I wake up my butt, it went to sleep hours ago sitting here!
Liked the whole thing.

The waiting time at the doctor's office is CLEARLY part of the power relations woven into this profession. Otherwise, it could happen - at least one in 100 times! - that the doctor would be ready to see you when the appt. was made. It NEVER does. Absolutely NEVER for anybody.

Maybe it's time someone shook their pedestal a little bit?...Just wondering...

Old 04-07-2011, 01:52 PM

9,458 posts, read 15,030,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
Liked the whole thing.

The waiting time at the doctor's office is CLEARLY part of the power relations woven into this profession. Otherwise, it could happen - at least one in 100 times! - that the doctor would be ready to see you when the appt. was made. It NEVER does. Absolutely NEVER for anybody.

Maybe it's time someone shook their pedestal a little bit?...Just wondering...

They don't always have that many emergencies! come on, its more emergencies than regular business!

Makes you wonder, doesn't it, if the guy has so many emergencies, how much is he botching up? OOps, gotta run back and correct my mistakes!

Come on---they have assistants for that, or should.. I'd wonder about a doctor with constant emergencies, he's either constantly botching up, or he has no one to cover for him, or he's taken on more than he can handle, either way, no way would I play that game more than once.

Have you ever tried to call them to say you're running late, you have an emergency/ sure, right.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness