U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 01:43 PM

13,258 posts, read 34,677,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
i drink a couple beers most days but rarely do i get drunk (maybe once every two months). i have no health issues whatsoever and exercise regularly. i would say more than 4 drinks a day is a lot, but everyone is different. also, drinking that much can be expensive.

you're excited about turning 21 and having the freedom to drink. that is normal and it is unfair for other posters to question whether or not you "should" drink.
What people are questioning are his motives, not whether or not he 'should' drink.

He claims he already drinks. With his dad, at home.
He claims this, after he asks how much he should drink once he turns 21.
He claims this, after he claims it's just for the health benefits.
And then he continues to justify his desire to drink, even after the risk vs. reward of drinking beer debunks his "health benefit" angle.

He is trying to make excuses for drinking, and get people to give him "permission" to do so. He's already doing it. He asks how many beers he SHOULD drink. That is why people are criticizing how many he "should" drink. He "shouldn't" drink, period. If he chooses to drink, then once he turns 21, he will have the legal right to do so. But "should" and "can" mean two different things. He wishes they didn't. But they do, and no amount of wishing is going to change that.

Old 04-05-2011, 01:56 PM

20,344 posts, read 20,462,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerntraveler View Post
Hi everybody, i turn 21 in August and I plan on drinking beer.I am a man who is about 6'2 and between 190-200 pounds.Whats the maximum number of beers I can have a day and not have health problems?I heard the number is 2 for a man.I want to drink everyday.Once i find the beer I like I will drink a light beer like Coors Light or Bud Light.
-Westerntraveler
Good plan and I commend you for seeking others' opinions. You should ask not only doctors but other experts as well, like bartenders, waitresses and liquor store owners.

You're pretty big so right off the bat you can add to even the most conservative advice you get here. The first week or so you probably should stick to 2 or 3 beers a day, not so much to avoid getting overly drunk but since you are trying to find a favorite beer, too much variety will cause a sensory overload and it will be hard to keep track of your research (take notes).

Remember you haven't had any beer the past 21 years so by rights you can double your intake for the next 21 and probably be OK as you head into your golden years. Going forward you should know that you probably won't be drinking a lot when your really old so no problem for the next 20 or so years after that either. Good luck and don't drink and drive, that's what buddies are for.

Old 04-05-2011, 02:16 PM

15,008 posts, read 16,576,367 times
I drink everyday (or about 5-6 days a week.) I usually have one or two beers or a glass of wine. No ill effects. Maybe once a month I will drink more, usually at a social gathering.

I think there is nothing wrong with having say, 1-2 drinks a day especially if it is part of a meal. Getting drunk everyday (like a six pack or a whole bottle of wine) is a very bad idea.

Old 04-05-2011, 02:33 PM

3,491 posts, read 5,365,267 times
thanks progmac a lot.....i also like the way beer makes me feel......thanks ghengis and ABQ convict.so anonchick why shouldnt i drink in your opinion

Old 04-05-2011, 02:39 PM

8,938 posts, read 15,870,714 times
First problem - you state you are a man and you state you want to drink beer everyday .... then you mention coors light & bud light?

While they may have their time and place - it's not for the professionals .... if you want to drink beer everday, then you should step up to the plate with your big boy pants and learn about beers, try a wide variety of styles, start to brew your own

from there drink as much and as frequently as you can handle .... your body will shut you down when you've had enough

Old 04-05-2011, 02:52 PM

13,258 posts, read 34,677,768 times
You're not understanding the meaning of the word "should," I guess. "Should" implies something that is important for you to do. Recommended. Drinking is not something that is ever "recommended" for people to do. It is never "important." It -can- cause you to become an alcoholic. There is no other substance in the world that can do that. Only alcohol can cause alcoholism. And you don't know you're an alcoholic, until after you've been drinking, and think maybe you should stop drinking, and discover you can't. By then, you're already an alcoholic.

Alcohol is a liver toxin. It's fun to have a drink. Some alcoholic drinks are delicious. I favor the frozen rum pina coladas, personally. And I like sangria. But it isn't something I "should" do. It is something I "can" do. It's something I "enjoy" doing. It's something that, in moderation, and as long as I'm not an alcoholic or have liver problems, is "okay" for me to do. But no, it isn't something I "should" do. And it isn't something you "should" do either.

You can. You may. But no, "should" is not on that list.

Old 04-05-2011, 02:57 PM

22,744 posts, read 28,613,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
you're excited about turning 21 and having the freedom to drink. that is normal and it is unfair for other posters to question whether or not you "should" drink.
i think some people are either forgetting what its like to be in college or are unaware of what its like for many people because they had different experiences. in college, i drank a lot 2 or 3 nights a week. it didnt impact my studies and it didnt hurt me in my future.

the OP does sound a little silly with his goal of drinking a couple beers a day for health reasons. he can drink a couple of beers a day if he chooses, no need to make that a goal for health reasons.

Old 04-05-2011, 03:01 PM

27,236 posts, read 40,303,656 times
I think you want to find your BAC information for a man of your size, while keeping it under .08, is that right?

Old 04-05-2011, 03:03 PM

well im a college student who wont be able to afford the imported brands or the fancy stuff.....plus i like the american style. and ive had guiness and i didnt like it....i would be perfectly fine with coors or bud or miller

Old 04-05-2011, 03:04 PM

okay i see anonchick i appreciate your concern
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness