U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 03:55 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,574,557 times

Advertisements

My wife has had very good success with Zenni. The Rx is always perfect, but the frames are rather cheaply made. She orders a dozen at a time, and its a race to see if she can break them or lose them first, but at that price, who cares? She probably has a half a dozen pairs sliding around under the car seats. Sometimes it can be a long wait (3 weeks or so) to receive them.

Inerpupillary distance is not problem, if your Rx doesn't state that, you can come close enough looking at a ruler in a mirror. Bow length is more of a challenge, they measure them, apparently, from the hinge to the tip, and you have to guess about where the ear curve will be.

If there are inconsistencies or what look like errors in the Rx you submit, they will hold your order and e-mail you to ask for a clarification, which is nice. Like if you order several pairs of glasses, and there appears to be a mistake in the Rx of one of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2011, 08:57 PM

2 posts, read 2,206 times
I bought 3 pairs of eyeglasses with progressive lenses from Zenni Optical, ordering was very easy. I was a little worried about their quality before ordering. Considering their inexpensive prices, I decided to give it a try. When I received them, I was pleasantly surprised to find the quality was excellent and they look just like the expensive eyeglasses I bought from local optical store. The fit on all three are great, I can see great, they look great, I have nothing at all bad to say.

Old 07-09-2011, 06:16 PM

276 posts, read 708,159 times
i like 39 dollar glasses. they do cost more than 39 dollars though. they have these "models" with different different face shapes that you can put the glasses on.

Old 06-11-2012, 09:27 AM

11,090 posts, read 18,630,179 times
Default Purchasing Eyeglasses From an Internet Site

Can anyone tell me their experience with buying glasses from an Internet site? Interested in good or bad experiences, especially with Coastal.com . They have lots of stylish frames, but I am concerned with getting them fitted properly.

Old 06-11-2012, 11:59 AM

I'm glad the moderator moved my question. Coastal.com has a super function online which allows you to upload your own picture (minus glasses), then use the "try-on" function. it challenged me to try some more dramatic ones than I would normally pick for myself. I really liked their stylish Joseph Marc, Derek Cardigan and Jil Sander frames.

I live out in a small town and the local Lenscrafters just doesn't have anything that good. I think one can compare the dimensions of a current frame to guess how well they fit. I think it's worth a try when I get my current prescription.

Old 06-12-2012, 01:09 PM

4 posts, read 3,004 times
Yes I bought frames online from ezcontacts shipped from Brooklyn. If I had my measurements I would have got the RX put in but the Rx was just as cheap at eye center but I did save on frames big time. I went to a nice eye center, picked out frames I really liked got the model and make, and I told them after trying a few I didn't want to forget which ones I liked so they wrote it down for me, and then I ordered a pair of armani exchange frames for less than 100.00. Aya nice and I will do it again.

Old 06-12-2012, 01:54 PM

1,133 posts, read 3,178,689 times
Last year I ordered several pairs of glasses from Zenni. Prices ranged from $7-$15. Some I like better than others, but even my least favorite pair is good enough to wear around the house. They seem as good a quality as the ones that I paid $99/2 pair at the mall. I got some that are tinted for prescription sunglasses.

My SO didn't like any thing at Zenni but he did find eyeglasses he liked at 39dollarglasses. If you Like them on FB you will get a $15 off coupon code. When I used the code it only took $12 off. I sent them an email asking about it and they took $3 more off. You can unlike and Like them again to get a coupon code again later. My SO is quite happy with the glasses he got.

Old 06-12-2012, 02:01 PM

1,133 posts, read 3,178,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeneko View Post
We started buying them online some time ago after reading this article

How to get an unbelievable, thrilling deal on new glasses. - By Farhad Manjoo - Slate Magazine

Basically - the reason mall stores cost so much is overhead (rent, employees, designer licensing) not quality.
One of my co-workers used to work at one of the retail eyeglass places. I showed her my Zenni eyeglasses and she said they looked great. She told me an employee price on eyeglass frames was just a few dollars. They are enormously marked up in retail price.

I read a lot of Zenni reviews online. Some people brought their Zenni eyeglasses to their eye doctor to have them checked out. One reviewer said that her eye doctor asked where she got them so cheaply. He wanted to know so that he could order glasses from there for a few elderly patients he had that couldn't afford expensive eyeglasses. Nice.

Old 06-14-2012, 08:09 AM

23,602 posts, read 31,161,722 times
I tried to order from Zenni today and it doesn't work at my office.

Stupid WebSense; so many websites have so much social media that's integral to the function of their sites that things like this happen.

Old 06-14-2012, 06:06 PM

I ordered a pair from Coastal.com today. They seem to have better quality frames than Zenni or others.

I had to measure the pupil distance myself. I looked in the mirror and marked two X's on my glasses with removable marker. Then took off the glasses, and measured between the X's.

I hope they turn out well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness