U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 07:44 PM

575 posts, read 800,590 times

Advertisements

Has anyone bought eyeglasses online. I've been perusing a few sites and zenni optical keeps coming up in my research. I'm curious if anyone has used Zenni or a ny other site and what were your experiences, positive or negative?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2011, 08:00 PM

1,167 posts, read 1,732,779 times
Do you know how the frames will fit? Or what your pupil distance is? I've ordered glasses but only after trying them on and stuff.

My optometrist didn't have the frames I wanted went to lens crafters tried em on left and ordered them and had my optometrist put in lenses.

Are you gonna try and get the lenses fit by the website or are you just ordering the frames?

Old 04-06-2011, 12:23 AM

From what I have found out, when you buy glasses online, you measure your current pair as this will give you an idea as to how a new pair will fit. They also have a system where you upload a photo, and specify your pd to get an approximation of how they will fit.

Price is much lower then going to what is termed a brick and mortor store. It's possible to get a pair for under $100 as long as you have a current prescription

Old 04-06-2011, 08:45 PM

Buying glasses online is like buying jeans online. No way to know how they will fit and look. I've seen frames online that look cool, put em on, hate em. Don't fit, color looks dif in person, plus, if the prescription seems off, I like having the people who did it nearby b

Old 04-13-2011, 02:21 AM

14,330 posts, read 19,019,556 times
There is another thread about this that I started.

Purchasing eyeglasses online

Basically, I used to order from Zenni, but the quality severely diminshed for some reason.

Old 04-13-2011, 02:24 AM

24,511 posts, read 34,122,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadell View Post
Buying glasses online is like buying jeans online. No way to know how they will fit and look. I've seen frames online that look cool, put em on, hate em. Don't fit, color looks dif in person, plus, if the prescription seems off, I like having the people who did it nearby b
But buying jeans is different. You more or less know how your jean brand sizes already unless you happen to be switching to a new brand.

Same applies to glasses. As long as you're buying one of your usual brands and you know your size, you should be okay.

Either way, you can go to the store, try them one (jeans or glasses) and if you like the way they look, go for it online.

Old 04-13-2011, 08:11 PM

Yea I'm saying try them on in person first.

Old 05-09-2011, 10:53 AM

Just thought I'd update this thread. I bought my glasses online from Zenni optical and am completely satisfied with them. From initial ordering to getting them in the mail took two weeks.

The lower priced full frames I bought did need a minor adjustment to the right nose piece, but every pair of glasses I have ever bought needed this adjustment. I also bought a pair of rimless and am very happy with them. The only problem with rimless frames (I got a pair with magnetic clipons) is that the bright sun reflects off of the edge of the glass creating some strange effects as you wear them, but otherwise they are fine. The polarized clipons I bought for the standard full frame lenses sometimes prevent you from seeing certain things, like the display on your car radio when you are wearing them while driving. I would buy from these guys again. I only spent about $86 for two pair of glasses (of course you will need a current eyeglass prescription that you pay for separately).

Old 05-09-2011, 11:05 AM

2,379 posts, read 4,283,584 times
We started buying them online some time ago after reading this article

How to get an unbelievable, thrilling deal on new glasses. - By Farhad Manjoo - Slate Magazine

Basically - the reason mall stores cost so much is overhead (rent, employees, designer licensing) not quality.

Old 05-09-2011, 11:23 AM

23,599 posts, read 31,143,716 times
I have my glasses made in the UK and shipped over because the type of high-index (thin) lens that I prefer is not available in the US. I had a pair done last year for about $200. Same pair would have cost me almost that much with insurance here.

The company is thinlenses.co.uk. No, I don't work for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness