U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2011, 12:45 AM

2,807 posts, read 3,157,069 times

Advertisements

I saw the recent study showing 54 new ID'd antioxidants in Maple Syrup from Quebec, I think. Is it ok to buy Walmart or Trader Joe's Organic, or should I buy direct from an online Canadian syrup maker? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 07:43 AM

13,263 posts, read 32,144,400 times
It's showing that maple has 54 antioxidants that they didn't know was there previously. In other words, it's the maple syrup, not its growing region. The study was done by a Quebec research group.

All maple syrups have more antioxidants than previously believed. As long as it's pure maple syrup, and isn't merely "pancake syrup" or "maple flavored" syrup, or even maple syrup flavored with something else (I've actually seen raspberry-flavored maple syrup), then you're good to go.

Old 04-07-2011, 06:39 AM

28,070 posts, read 44,142,559 times
I make maple syrup. My taps are running now.

As far as I know all maple syrup is more or less the same. Flavor and darkness vary, but as for what is in it maple is maple.

I do find it interesting that while living in a maple producing area, going into any grocery store here the shelves hold a wide selection of 'pancake syrup' made from GMO corn.

While I encourage everyone to buy maple from maple trees and to avoid GMO corn products, I am not certain that buying form Canada has any greater benefit.

Old 04-09-2011, 01:03 AM

Thank you both. I'm going w/ Walmart's Organic Maple. It is yummy, & cost effective, & organic but made in St. Johnsbury, VT. But is does say Canada/USA on the bottle.

Old 04-09-2011, 07:31 AM

Do you mean that it is bottled in St. Johnsbury, VT. and made in Canada?

Old 04-09-2011, 07:41 AM

Maple Grove in St. Johnsbury is the packer, and they also own an actual grove of maples that they tap during sugaring season. Couple things could be going on:

They might make the label and import the containers from Canada. They might be a packer for a Canadian grove as well, and the label covers the origin requirements of both countries. Or, if their grove produces more than their sugaring plant can handle, they might be shipping their runover to a Canadian plant to pack. St. Johnsbury isn't all -that- far from the Canadian border, so it's possible they have a "sister plant" somewhere over the line they work with.

Or, like many larger dairy farms, they might be a co-op, that takes sap from all over the continent and pools it together to produce their syrup.

Old 04-09-2011, 07:50 AM

A grove of maples is called a sugar-bush.

I see larger sugar-bushes where they are pumping syrup into stainless steel tanks to be trucked to distant bottling plants.

Old 04-14-2011, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Maple Grove in St. Johnsbury is the packer, and they also own an actual grove of maples that they tap during sugaring season. Couple things could be going on:

They might make the label and import the containers from Canada. They might be a packer for a Canadian grove as well, and the label covers the origin requirements of both countries. Or, if their grove produces more than their sugaring plant can handle, they might be shipping their runover to a Canadian plant to pack. St. Johnsbury isn't all -that- far from the Canadian border, so it's possible they have a "sister plant" somewhere over the line they work with.

Or, like many larger dairy farms, they might be a co-op, that takes sap from all over the continent and pools it together to produce their syrup.
Thanks all & you too Anon. As you know this stuff is very addictive, as I've been awaking & slugging down a few belts in the morn & it inspires me to energetic workouts. Kind of like magic 'Granny-on-BeverlyHillbillies-potion'. LOL

Old 04-14-2011, 07:15 AM

Remember it's chock-full of sugar, and has *limited* (meaning some, but not much) nutritional value. As a treat, it's yummy. If by "a few belts" you mean a couple of teaspoons, it's awesome. If, however, you mean "half a juice glass" you might want to re-think your idea of breakfast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness