U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 11:37 AM

223 posts, read 503,084 times

Advertisements

Cigarette smoke does not cause colds but an allergy or inflammation caused by the irritation of smoke can make one susceptible to cold.

Sorry OP, smokers generally have a decreased sense of smell (and taste) so they have no idea how nasty they smell to others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 06:51 PM

7,330 posts, read 12,565,592 times
I've had allergies for about 40 years and no doctor ever told me I was more susceptible to colds because of them. I agree with those who say this isn't why you're sick. Did you never have colds before working with this woman?

Old 04-07-2011, 07:12 PM

6,044 posts, read 21,143,670 times
Colds are caused by viruses. But the smell is certainly unpleasant. I would look at investing in an air purifier for at home, and maybe one for work too. Perhaps some air fresheners, scented oils, something along those lines might help too.

Old 04-07-2011, 09:56 PM

10,892 posts, read 13,021,596 times
Or just walk by and spray them with Febreze all nonchalant..

Old 04-07-2011, 10:06 PM

6,971 posts, read 12,389,944 times
My exwife is the only member of her family that never smoked. She never had to tell me when she went to visit her parents and took our boys. You could smell the smoke in their hair and clothes. My son, when he was in his teens, told his grandmother the reason he didn't want to go to their house is because of the smoke smell. Stillkit and texlady, you can get your panties out of a wad. I'm not whining trying to get anybody to quit smoking. The only person who can make a smoker quit is himself. All I am saying is the smell does stick to everything.

Old 04-08-2011, 04:05 AM

14,078 posts, read 17,045,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
My exwife is the only member of her family that never smoked. She never had to tell me when she went to visit her parents and took our boys. You could smell the smoke in their hair and clothes. My son, when he was in his teens, told his grandmother the reason he didn't want to go to their house is because of the smoke smell. Stillkit and texlady, you can get your panties out of a wad. I'm not whining trying to get anybody to quit smoking. The only person who can make a smoker quit is himself. All I am saying is the smell does stick to everything.

So do a lot of smells, (wood smoke, sweat, exhaust, cheap perfume, garlic, curry), but nobody says anything about them because they're not the cause du jour.

For instance, my Doctor is Indian and, after lunch, you can smell the curry on his breath and oozing out of his skin from a block away. Do you really think I'd complain to managment about that? Would I be rude and say, "Gee Doc, you stink!"

No, I wouldn't and, hopefully, neither would you. Yet, you wouldn't extend that same courtesy to a smoker. Why not?

Last edited by stillkit; 04-08-2011 at 05:25 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 04-08-2011, 04:46 AM

5,145 posts, read 10,433,454 times
Drink more water and stay hydrated. I notice when my system gets dry, I tend to get allergy attacks with little colds. Stinky smells are worse too. Keep some hot peppermint tea at your desk.

Old 04-08-2011, 06:41 AM

51,325 posts, read 50,591,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
I third this, with the understanding that anti-bacterial soaps only kill bacteria and not viruses..
I think the antibacterial soap fad is ridiculous. Normal soap and water is just fine.

Quote:
Best thing to do is to both wash hands and not touch eyes, nose, mouth and other orifices.
EEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWW

Quote:
Remember the H1N1 thing? Same rules still apply. Oh, and I first-hand smoke and haven't been sick since May of 2009 (knock on wood). However, I am not in the workplace exposed to sick coworkers who come in to work when they should be at home.
I smoke also, and I haven't been out sick in years. Everyone in my aisle caught this respiratory flu thing that was circulating over the winter. Two developed pneumonia. I felt as if something was coming on one day, but it went away. Perhaps the tar lining my lungs formed a barrier to the germs!

Old 04-08-2011, 06:54 AM

10,864 posts, read 18,917,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

I smoke also, and I haven't been out sick in years. Everyone in my aisle caught this respiratory flu thing that was circulating over the winter. Two developed pneumonia. I felt as if something was coming on one day, but it went away. Perhaps the tar lining my lungs formed a barrier to the germs!
I never used to get sick until I quit smoking. Now I have allergies and I get a cold every month in the winter and spring. I would never start smoking again because quitting is so difficult and uncomfortable, but I really did feel better most of the time when I smoked.

Old 04-08-2011, 12:10 PM

7,371 posts, read 12,327,760 times
You're immune system sucks, probably due to having a bad diet. That's the real reason you keep catching colds. Cigarette smoke may irritate some people, but it certainly does not cause colds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness