Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 01:53 AM

924 posts, read 2,223,215 times

Advertisements

I'm convinced that increased exposure to second and third hand (the smell) smoke lately has led to my second cold in 2 months. I believe it's being caused by a combination of all my neighbors smoking (I live in a 6plex in a working class neighborhood), visiting peoples' apartments (I'm moving this summer) and my colleague who reeks of smoke.

Workplaces sometimes have policies against wearing heavy perfumes but what about smoke smell? Any suggestions on how to deal with smoky colleagues? I'm not talking about people who puff away in front of office buildings (that's another pet peeve of mine -I tend to avoid such entrances if possible), but people who reek so bad indoor, it makes you cringe. I've been sneezing non stop this week and I can't afford to get sick all the time. No I don't have allergies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 06:27 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,450,172 times
Deal with it. It's not making you sick unless you have a severe allergy. You're just obsessing.

Accepting others peculiarities and vices is just a part of the human experience. I'm sure there are things about you which your co-workers find annoying too, but take a tip from their politeness and don't make a federal case out of it.

Old 04-06-2011, 08:09 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,725,734 times
When I've lived in older buildings, I could sometimes smell the neighbors' smoke in my apartment. You can buy an air purifier for your home if that would make you feel better.

It's probably not causing your colds, though. I've had two colds in the last two months and I haven't had any exposure to cigarette smoke, second- or third-hand. It's just cold season.

Also, don't be too sure you don't have allergies...they can develop even if you've never had them before.

Old 04-06-2011, 09:58 AM

12 posts, read 14,621 times
Really....now people are blaming "third hand smoke"....for making them sick!! Unbelievable!! I really wish the government would just go ahead and make cigs illegal, so all you non-smokers would get off of smokers backs....and yes I smoke!

Old 04-06-2011, 10:49 AM

1,224 posts, read 3,986,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValueAddedWorker View Post
I'm convinced that increased exposure to second and third hand (the smell) smoke lately has led to my second cold in 2 months. I believe it's being caused by a combination of all my neighbors smoking (I live in a 6plex in a working class neighborhood), visiting peoples' apartments (I'm moving this summer) and my colleague who reeks of smoke.

Workplaces sometimes have policies against wearing heavy perfumes but what about smoke smell? Any suggestions on how to deal with smoky colleagues? I'm not talking about people who puff away in front of office buildings (that's another pet peeve of mine -I tend to avoid such entrances if possible), but people who reek so bad indoor, it makes you cringe. I've been sneezing non stop this week and I can't afford to get sick all the time. No I don't have allergies.
Get a miniature air-purifier for your desk. Go to HR is the smell is really that bad. You would do the same thing if your colleague smelled like poop or pits.

Old 04-06-2011, 10:57 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,587,238 times
You can't get a cold from smelling smoke (or anything else). You get a cold from germs.

Old 04-06-2011, 11:00 AM

87,995 posts, read 83,827,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
You can't get a cold from smelling smoke (or anything else). You get a cold from germs.
Exactly. Washing your hands is the key.

Old 04-06-2011, 04:16 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,862,290 times
I quit smoking, but the constant nagging of self righteous whiners, make me want to smoke again..even if just out of spite.

Old 04-06-2011, 06:01 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,965,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jufrbo View Post
I quit smoking, but the constant nagging of self righteous whiners, make me want to smoke again..even if just out of spite.
Something tells me this was not the feedback the OP was looking for.

Old 04-06-2011, 06:04 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,965,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Exactly. Washing your hands is the key.
I third this, with the understanding that anti-bacterial soaps only kill bacteria and not viruses.

Best thing to do is to both wash hands and not touch eyes, nose, mouth and other orifices.

Remember the H1N1 thing? Same rules still apply. Oh, and I first-hand smoke and haven't been sick since May of 2009 (knock on wood). However, I am not in the workplace exposed to sick coworkers who come in to work when they should be at home.

Last edited by mistygrl092; 04-06-2011 at 07:25 PM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness