U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2011, 02:04 PM

6,368 posts, read 13,342,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davachka View Post

I will look into the neti pot and sinus washout, dont have any idea what either are...thanks!
Get the squeeze bottle. Works much better than the pot. And don't forget to use distilled water. Very important.

a 5 yr old rinsing

YouTube - NeilMed Sinus Rinse
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2011, 11:42 PM

575 posts, read 800,410 times
Neti pot is definitely worth the investment. In my particular case my pain seemed to be originating nearer to the back of my head and the ear doc I went to checked my ears and sure enough he pulled out enough earwax to almost cork a bottle. I'm not saying it is earwax but maybe some sort of obstruction or growth since I had some of those symptom like debilitating headaches and some light nausea.

As an aside, the doc who was about 80 realized a possible cause might be something in the ear. Experience does count for something!

Old 04-12-2011, 07:58 AM

2,406 posts, read 6,796,361 times
Thats very interesting, no her problem is not earwax, but maybe an ear issue is something to look deeper into.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebri View Post
Neti pot is definitely worth the investment. In my particular case my pain seemed to be originating nearer to the back of my head and the ear doc I went to checked my ears and sure enough he pulled out enough earwax to almost cork a bottle. I'm not saying it is earwax but maybe some sort of obstruction or growth since I had some of those symptom like debilitating headaches and some light nausea.

As an aside, the doc who was about 80 realized a possible cause might be something in the ear. Experience does count for something!

Old 04-12-2011, 08:03 AM

2,406 posts, read 6,796,361 times
We have an appt with her ENT today, and I am going to ask about the neti pot/neti squeeze bottle. I have no experience/knowledge of it!

I do remember when my daughter was a baby she was horrified at the blue bugger sucker...she even still remembers lol...hope its nothing like that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
Get the squeeze bottle. Works much better than the pot. And don't forget to use distilled water. Very important.

a 5 yr old rinsing

YouTube - NeilMed Sinus Rinse

Old 04-12-2011, 01:59 PM

3,029 posts, read 6,908,280 times
I used to get horrible sinus infections about 3 or 4 times a year. Turns out they were allergy related. At the advice of my doc I started to take Benadryl tablets every night. And actually, I've been taking them almost every night for more than ten years. I can count on one hand how many sinus infections I've had since then, and none have been as bad as before. Plus, they help me get drowsy at night as I had always had problems falling asleep. Doc still says it's OK for me - but you may check with yours.

Old 06-20-2011, 09:35 PM

1 posts, read 851 times
I moved to Western Wisconsin from Florida October 2009 and today is June 20, 2011 and I have had sinus issues 24/7 365 days a year..When lived in Florida a box of Kleenex would last me year or more here in Wisconson lucky if one box last me a week..been to docs and antibiotics gave up milk stopped wearing perfumes etc and can seem to get rid of them...any help out there or suggestions..

Old 06-20-2011, 11:40 PM

12,480 posts, read 14,364,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakers 63 View Post
I moved to Western Wisconsin from Florida October 2009 and today is June 20, 2011 and I have had sinus issues 24/7 365 days a year..When lived in Florida a box of Kleenex would last me year or more here in Wisconson lucky if one box last me a week..been to docs and antibiotics gave up milk stopped wearing perfumes etc and can seem to get rid of them...any help out there or suggestions..
wow and eeeks--that's a long time to suffer. Hate that for you. What,if any type meds have you tried? After moving to the Pacific NW I kept a chronic sore throat and my doctor has me use Fluticasone Propionate nasal spray once a day EVERY day. Plus I use Benadryl and Ocean saline spray. All three help a lot. I prefer antihistamines over decongestants---but that's just me. Some people swear by Zyrtec and such but I stick to the benadryl.

Old 06-21-2011, 01:19 AM

8,874 posts, read 12,914,194 times
I cured my chronic sinus infections -- which inflicted earaches, headaches, toothaches, and vertigo, in addition to the usual disgusting sinus gunk -- by moving to Southern Arizona. Now, mind you, I still have allergies. Sneezing, itchy and watery eyes, and what the singers call "Vegas throat" all the time, but for some reason here it doesn't morph into an infection. No fevers, no gross stuff coming out of my nose. In fact, I've only had two regular head colds in five years here and the symptoms lasted about half the time they lasted when I lived in DC, Pittsburgh, New Jersey, and Seattle. No going through boxes of tissues and gallons of cough syrup. I only get about 10% of the debilitating headaches I used to get and neither of my colds went to my lungs. There's something to be said for lack of humidity.

Old 06-21-2011, 10:47 AM

12,620 posts, read 17,684,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davachka View Post
Wondering if anyone has experienced chronic sinus infections and were successful in treating them? I posted awhile back that my daughter was suffering from migraines/headaches. It turns out that she is actually suffering from ear/sinus infections that are quite severe and causing headaches/migraines. This has occurred every month since December. Once the sinus/ear infection is treated, within a week or two the head pains go away as well, but that week or two is extremely severe and dehabilitating. Sound familiar?
I started having issues and they were becoming chronic. I did research on the internet and found sometimes a person needs to be on a longer time frame of the antibiotics to clear up the infection. She also needs to be on something like Mucinex as the main ingredient clears up the fluid that is behind the ear drum. And this is the problem the fluid is not gotten rid of with the antibiotic so the infection comes back and it becomes a cycle and chronic. The dizziness could be from Labyrinthitis which I also developed during this time period. I forget how long I was on the antibiotic maybe 8 weeks straight dont remember. I was also on different antibiotics during this same time frame as some just did not work. Stay vigilant about this and dont just leave it up to the Dr. educate yourself online and be proactive in your care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness