U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2011, 08:10 PM

2,406 posts, read 6,796,361 times

Advertisements

Wondering if anyone has experienced chronic sinus infections and were successful in treating them? I posted awhile back that my daughter was suffering from migraines/headaches. It turns out that she is actually suffering from ear/sinus infections that are quite severe and causing headaches/migraines. This has occurred every month since December. Once the sinus/ear infection is treated, within a week or two the head pains go away as well, but that week or two is extremely severe and dehabilitating. Sound familiar?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 08:44 PM

13,258 posts, read 34,604,245 times
Poor girl, she sounds like she's having a really tough time of it. You say this happens every month - is she of an age to be menstruating? There could be some kind of really odd hormonal imbalance going on. My very first thoughts though would be to get her to an autolaryngologist (ENT guy) and have her fully checked out. Have him check also for any lumps on the scalp behind the ears; if there's a cyst that's pressing against a sinus, that could be causing all that pain. Cysts are not as uncommon as you'd think - most people have one or two somewhere on their heads and don't even realize it. It's just a big zit that may or may not go away all by itself and never turns into anything horrible. But it can cause pain if it happens to be located in an odd spot, and can be easily lanced open and healed if that turns out to be the case.

If she wears glasses, she might want to check the fit, make sure the ear pieces aren't too tight. And astigmatism - another common cause of headaches that seem to show up with sinus problems. The eyeball gets a little pressure from a clogged sinus, and BAM - daggers in the skull.

Lastly, have her gums checked for periodontal disease.

All of these things can effect the sinuses, or be affected -by- the sinuses. And all of them can cause, trigger, or contribute to debillitating headaches. The good news, is that if it's any of these things, they are all easily treated.

Good luck!

Old 04-07-2011, 04:54 AM

Thank you for your response. Her obgyn ruled out hormones, and her ENT said both her MRI and her CT scan came back normal (of sinuses, brain, etc). Nor did they find any cysts. Her eyes were checked with her first sinus infection in December and are fine, as are her teeth/gums. Its quite a mystery really, she is on her 5th sinus infection now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Poor girl, she sounds like she's having a really tough time of it. You say this happens every month - is she of an age to be menstruating? There could be some kind of really odd hormonal imbalance going on. My very first thoughts though would be to get her to an autolaryngologist (ENT guy) and have her fully checked out. Have him check also for any lumps on the scalp behind the ears; if there's a cyst that's pressing against a sinus, that could be causing all that pain. Cysts are not as uncommon as you'd think - most people have one or two somewhere on their heads and don't even realize it. It's just a big zit that may or may not go away all by itself and never turns into anything horrible. But it can cause pain if it happens to be located in an odd spot, and can be easily lanced open and healed if that turns out to be the case.

If she wears glasses, she might want to check the fit, make sure the ear pieces aren't too tight. And astigmatism - another common cause of headaches that seem to show up with sinus problems. The eyeball gets a little pressure from a clogged sinus, and BAM - daggers in the skull.

Lastly, have her gums checked for periodontal disease.

All of these things can effect the sinuses, or be affected -by- the sinuses. And all of them can cause, trigger, or contribute to debillitating headaches. The good news, is that if it's any of these things, they are all easily treated.

Good luck!

Old 04-09-2011, 08:13 PM

2,031 posts, read 4,499,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davachka View Post
Wondering if anyone has experienced chronic sinus infections and were successful in treating them? I posted awhile back that my daughter was suffering from migraines/headaches. It turns out that she is actually suffering from ear/sinus infections that are quite severe and causing headaches/migraines. This has occurred every month since December. Once the sinus/ear infection is treated, within a week or two the head pains go away as well, but that week or two is extremely severe and dehabilitating. Sound familiar?
Assuming that they've sent swabs for cultures to check what the bacteria is or whether it's a fungal problem, rahther than just giving antibiotics without knowing what they're treating.

May be a stupid question, but how did they diagnose the ear/sinus infection?
Were there other symptoms aprt from headaches?

Old 04-11-2011, 08:55 AM

Infected ear, nose, mucus, headaches, fatigue,classic symptoms of sinus infection so they say its a sinus infection and just give antibiotics every time. No swabs were taken. Now she is getting severe fatigue, dizziness, nausea and headaches as well, both during the sinus infection and for about 2 weeka afterwards.

After 5 months of this, now they are saying maybe its mono lol. She got tested for it the other day, I highly doubt it. They don't think its fungal or systemic because it wouldn't be coming and going, it would just stay this way. Basically just lots and lots of guesswork...while my dd is miserable for all this time!

Old 04-11-2011, 09:10 AM

12,976 posts, read 11,788,166 times
I have had terrible sinus issues my entire life. Mine are definitely worsened by allergies, and now, pollen season, it's at its worst. Also pets and mold can make it much worse. Does your DD suffer from allergies?

One thing that sounds stupid, but prevents clogging, is for your DD to get into the habit of blowing her nose first thing in the morning, and last thing at night. Teens have a terrible habit of sniffing, and all they are doing is forcing dirty mucus back into the sinuses. Sniffing = sinus infection for people such as her.

The only thing that really helps me is to do the sinus washouts. And by that I mean real sinus washouts, not saline nose spray. They are initially gross, but once you start to feel so much better, it doesn't matter. Get her a neti pot, and if she uses it morning and evening regularly for a while she should start feeling much better. As soon as I start to feel sinus symptoms I start using it, and have managed to stay off antibiotics for years.

Old 04-11-2011, 10:17 AM

No, she has never had allergies of any kind. Just this past december she has started getting these sinus infections. We did get her tested for allergies, and it came back as a slight allergy to dust. So we put covers on her pillows/mattresses and got all the vents in the house professionally cleaned.

I will look into the neti pot and sinus washout, dont have any idea what either are...thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I have had terrible sinus issues my entire life. Mine are definitely worsened by allergies, and now, pollen season, it's at its worst. Also pets and mold can make it much worse. Does your DD suffer from allergies?

One thing that sounds stupid, but prevents clogging, is for your DD to get into the habit of blowing her nose first thing in the morning, and last thing at night. Teens have a terrible habit of sniffing, and all they are doing is forcing dirty mucus back into the sinuses. Sniffing = sinus infection for people such as her.

The only thing that really helps me is to do the sinus washouts. And by that I mean real sinus washouts, not saline nose spray. They are initially gross, but once you start to feel so much better, it doesn't matter. Get her a neti pot, and if she uses it morning and evening regularly for a while she should start feeling much better. As soon as I start to feel sinus symptoms I start using it, and have managed to stay off antibiotics for years.

Old 04-11-2011, 10:29 AM

12,976 posts, read 11,788,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davachka View Post
I will look into the neti pot and sinus washout, dont have any idea what either are...thanks!
Neti pot: Can it clear your nose? - MayoClinic.com

They are available at any grocery store or any pharmacy, and have many and varied names, but if you ask for a neti pot, people working there should know what you are talking about. They come with saline sachets, and you mix the sachet in warmish water. I only use half a sachet as a whole one burns a bit. I would start her on half too.

Honestly I am quite surprised that none of your doctors have suggested this as it's basic care for chronic sinus problems.

Old 04-11-2011, 10:49 AM

575 posts, read 800,410 times
I have allergies and am a mouth breather since my nasal passages are chronically swelled. I had debilitating migraines about 6 months ago and thought it was due to my chronically bad sinuses, but it was actually due to excessive earwax. I had my ears cleaned and the pain went away instantly. I would have a doc check the ear for something like that.

Old 04-11-2011, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Neti pot: Can it clear your nose? - MayoClinic.com

They are available at any grocery store or any pharmacy, and have many and varied names, but if you ask for a neti pot, people working there should know what you are talking about. They come with saline sachets, and you mix the sachet in warmish water. I only use half a sachet as a whole one burns a bit. I would start her on half too.

Honestly I am quite surprised that none of your doctors have suggested this as it's basic care for chronic sinus problems.
Yes, I'm surprised about alot of things when it comes to this as well, thank you for the link!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebri View Post
I have allergies and am a mouth breather since my nasal passages are chronically swelled. I had debilitating migraines about 6 months ago and thought it was due to my chronically bad sinuses, but it was actually due to excessive earwax. I had my ears cleaned and the pain went away instantly. I would have a doc check the ear for something like that.
Thanks Steve, that is veyr interesting, definitely something to look into since she each one of her 5 sinus infections starts with an ear infection as well!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness