Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 05:35 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,308,235 times

Advertisements

I use Finacea (strong azaleic acid) and 15% glycolic acid to exfoliate out the comedones (the bumps) and acts as a natural moisturizer/anti-aging treatment. It helps somewhat with the oil too, but mostly the oil is hormonal and nothing will work for it. I never bother with using a gentle facewash anymore... that is advice that I have tried to follow but it does not work even though it is "conventional knowledge". If I don't exfoliate the pores just get clogged in half a day. I've also tried expensive products that soak up the oil with little silicon beads and that stuff just clogs the pore and gets saturated with my grease in a few hours. I also do not use oil free makeup because it will just stimulate more oil production - by using a moisturizing foundation my face actually makes less oil.

If you just want to look greaseless on special occasions the under-makeup oil absorbers are okay to use with blotting papers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 07:14 PM

1,237 posts, read 3,447,714 times
I second the posts about washing too much. I know it sounds counter-intuitive but in getting rid of oil, your body steps it up and produces more to keep your skin from drying out. (I am one of the oh so unfortunate with an oily T-zone and dry elsewhere - makes finding a good product difficult).

The post about Cetaphil is a good one (it's actually what my dermatologist recommended). I however, don't enjoy the wipes. I see no harm in using the cetaphil in the AM and PM - just make sure to moisturize. I know that for me personally, I tend to change cleansers/moisturizes every once in a while and use a different one in the AM vs the PM. Other than cetaphil, I've found luck with cream cleansers (Aveeno in particular). You can keep making the rounds around the drugstore looking for what works for you - or go to the dermatologist. In the end it might just save you some money to get a professional opinion (plus they can give you samples to try a variety of products).

There's always the chance you have overactive glands your typical OTC cleanser won't cut it.

Old 04-07-2011, 07:37 PM

12,954 posts, read 13,665,225 times
Try not using soap altogether on your face. Just water and gently rub it with a wash cloth. It has worked well with people I know who have not used soap on their face for many years.

Old 04-08-2011, 04:19 AM

1,047 posts, read 3,988,425 times
I too always had very oily skin. With each passing decade, I would think that it would start to go away. It did not until I turned 50! For those who don't have oily skin, it's hard to not wash when you go to bed! What I found helpful were those blotting papers that you can buy. Keep them with you and use them every couple of hours. I just bought some for my son who has inherited the oily skin. They really take the shine away.

Old 04-08-2011, 05:37 AM

741 posts, read 1,287,970 times
Thank you all very much, I just want you to know I have taken the time to read each and every reply! I have now picked up Cethaphil oil/normal wash and a small tube of Cethaphil moisturizer.

Strange question: But has any felt or discovered that their shampoo or conditioner was causing flareups of small acne like bumps around their hair line or temples?

Also, can diet/excersise REALLY help with the oil?

I am 27 years old and am now facing the fact this will be a problem that will carry through into most of my adult years, so I'm thankful you all have such good info!

Old 04-12-2011, 03:57 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,926,044 times
I too have very oily skin. Within an hour of washing my face it will be excessively oily. However, I don't have any bumps, acne, or anything like that. It's smooth and blemish free, but very oily. I did see a dermatologist a few years back for an unrelated issue and I brought it up..but he said it's just my skin type, and to learn to live with it. It isn't causing any issues so he said there isn't anything he would prescribe for it. I'm a guy so I don't use makeup/moisturizers or anything like that, but it drives me nuts nonetheless.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:38 PM

1,084 posts, read 2,476,898 times
Use a clay masque like Queen Helene Mint Julep Masque. I have seen them in Ulta, CVS, Walgreens, Target, and Walmart. I use it about once or twice a week in summer. It doesn't get rid of the oil 100%, but it does help absorb a lot of it.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:46 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,149,092 times
I am close to forty and have had acne issues since my teens. I have tried everything from accutane (two cycles) to every prescription there is. It finally took me til this year to figure out what I was doing wrong. For one, I used to wash too much too. Not good. Then I finally started using cetaphil like others have mentioned. I like cetaphil because it doesn't use scenty dies. This is usually what causes acne in people. They eliminate that. Plus, I was on antibiotics for years until they didn't help either. I used to be a model in my twenties, so you can understand how important it was to have good skin.

Certain foods would give me more breakouts than not. Oily foods like potato chips, peanut butter, coffee, etc. Some dermatologists will argue this, but then why do I get acne after eating this stuff. Also hormones don't help.

Are you ready for what is the best product out there for acne?

Still ready?

Water! For years I didn't know this. You can eat all the foods you like too, if you drink enough water. For some reason I thought water wasn't good for you, so for years I would stay dehydrated. Dehydration actually causes acne. Wish I would have known this over the years. Could have saved some scarring. But I drink about 12 to 13 glasses of water a day. I know it seems like a lot. But it has performed magic for me. I eat pizza, chips, basically everything I like, and water flushes it all out of my system. My skin has never looked better and I wish I would have known this years ago. My acne was never that bad that people would comment. However, I knew how awful it was and how it was causing so much stress in my life. Water works. Give it a try. It flushes all that crap that would produce acne. Simple remedy. I don't think that some companies and or people want you to know this. Because they make a killing off of selling people products that don't really work. I think some acne fighting products cause acne. I don't trust them. They had a product a few years back (some patches type thing) that actually did work. You cut them to the size you need and put them over a pimple, zit, or whatever before you go to sleep. They worked great (first product to actually work) and then all of a sudden poof, they were pulled from the shelf. Makes me not trust those people who are in control of these issues.

P.s, Oily skin will not bother you as much with a clear complexion. Plus, having oily skin (I have it too) is good in the long run. You will not wrinkle as much as someone with dry skin. Be grateful you have oily skin.

That's my two cents.

Good luck. If

Old 04-14-2011, 03:40 AM

18,270 posts, read 14,423,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeMachine View Post
Thank you all very much, I just want you to know I have taken the time to read each and every reply! I have now picked up Cethaphil oil/normal wash and a small tube of Cethaphil moisturizer.

Strange question: But has any felt or discovered that their shampoo or conditioner was causing flareups of small acne like bumps around their hair line or temples?

Also, can diet/excersise REALLY help with the oil?

I am 27 years old and am now facing the fact this will be a problem that will carry through into most of my adult years, so I'm thankful you all have such good info!

Yes, when I was younger I had some acne and tried a few dozen things but it wouldn't stop. Then one day I ran out of conditioner and discovered in a matter of days or a few weeks, that this was what was causing my acne. Once the conditioner was out of the picture, my face no longer had any acne.

Also hairspray should be as far away from the face as possible, or use hair gel.

Old 04-15-2011, 09:02 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,416,751 times
My face was always ubra-oily. I still had regular breakouts when I was 30, despite the fact that I used astringent daily.

Then I started using plain ole rubbing alcohol 4-5 times a day. Voila -- the oiliness was controlled and my breakouts ceased. I had to keep using the rubbing alcohol that often for many years to control the oiliness. I just bought it in bulk...24 bottles would last me 2-3 months.

Now, 35 years later, I dont need to use it that often -- but I still use it twice a day. The upside of very oily skin, as someone has already noted, is that I have absolutely no wrinkles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness