U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 12:32 PM

223 posts, read 479,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
There is no time available for me to visit a doctor. I am of the opinion that Provigil is not a controlled drug, so you can buy it over the internet, which is what I might have to do.
I think you would be hard pressed to find a doctor who would prescribe this drug for the scenario that you describe. Please be careful if you do order off the internet. Most reputable online pharmacies require a prescription. I personally would be leery of those that don't.

Have you tried driving with the windows open and cranking up some great music? This was my tactic while I was in grad school and would visit my now-wife who lived in another state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 03:23 PM

14,864 posts, read 27,429,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milleka View Post
I didn't know that. I'd never heard of Provigil, so I thought it was prescription.

I understand about not taking the main highway. The "Branson" area has grown so much over the last twenty years!

I totally understand about starting a business too. My husband is in between his clock-job and his own business right now. There are some weeks he has to work 80 hrs just to get everything accomplished.

I wish you all the luck with your business and finding a solution to stay awake. That is scary to be so sleepy when you are behind the wheel. I would also recommend drinking plenty of water throughout the day and taking a multi-vitamin.
Thanks Milleka, I'll definitely follow your advice about the water and vitamin. I am hoping in time my body will adjust to the schedule better and I won't have to deal with the sleepiness issue.

20yrsinBranson

Old 04-07-2011, 04:51 PM

1,224 posts, read 3,140,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Thanks Milleka, I'll definitely follow your advice about the water and vitamin. I am hoping in time my body will adjust to the schedule better and I won't have to deal with the sleepiness issue.

20yrsinBranson
Is there any way you guys can decrease your hours? Or maybe stagger your time there? One of you take the morning "shift", overlap, and the other take the evening?

Old 04-07-2011, 05:09 PM

14,864 posts, read 27,429,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milleka View Post
Is there any way you guys can decrease your hours? Or maybe stagger your time there? One of you take the morning "shift", overlap, and the other take the evening?
Eventually, that is what we are hoping for. But he has to learn the computer system which is going to be quite an ordeal. We are already so busy I don't know when I am going to have time to teach him. Perhaps this summer when typically things slow down some.

20yrsinBranson

Old 04-07-2011, 06:42 PM

14,079 posts, read 15,952,449 times
Two things:

1. Even though you say coffee doesn't help you, it has to be remembered that coffee is only effective as a short-term stimulant in the right amounts and the right time.

Four cups of coffee will make you drowsy because that much warms your stomach which, in turn, warms the blood and that's sleep inducing. Try one cup or, at best, two.

Timing is essential. If you wait until you get on the road, it's too late. If you really want to test coffee's effectiveness, drink a cup or two about 30 minutes before you start out on your journey. The caffeine has to have time to get into your blood and affect the areas of the brain where it does its most good.

2. Overcoming drowsiness is really a case of mind over matter. Yes, there comes a time when willpower can't ward off sleep, but for a short drive like that one, you can will yourself to stay awake. I know as I've done it thousands of times. It all depends upon what you REALLY want and what you allow your mind to wander to.

If you're focused on your desire to sleep, you'll get sleepy. If you're focused on how important it is to get to your destination, you'll get there. What are your mental priorities? Never, EVER, allow yourself to think about how tired you are! Instead, think about how GOOD you feel!

I know this sounds simple, and maybe it's what you're already doing, but I used these tricks (and others) for decades to deliver on time when I was driving a truck and I was rarely late.

Old 04-09-2011, 12:08 PM

7,288 posts, read 9,602,053 times
Can you get an apartment closer to your work? It does simply sound like you are either sleep deprived or working too many hours. Can you get an assistant to help you out so you can cut your hours back and be home at a decent time (say six?).

You have no down time.

It is unhealthy and dangerous, as you know!

Please do something before you or someone else gets hurt. No job or work situation is worth death or poor health.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness