U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 06:01 AM

27 posts, read 55,352 times

Advertisements

The one i will suggest to you is will not effect immediately, but 100% assurance as days goes by, you will notice that it will works. Is it okay to you to take a supplement? The one popular nowadays is the MX 5-HTP that promotes sleep help and support sleep disorders. They said it also works as a relief from the effects of sleep deprivation. If i were to you, i will make a concrete research about this one, i believe it will works on your situation/concern. Cheers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 06:50 AM

9,457 posts, read 16,404,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabbit View Post
That is a great idea, I'm going to do this tonight. I'll just spend the night with some coffee, a video game and maybe some reading and try to reset myself that night.
Coffee? Seriously? And don't tell me it doesn't affect you b/c obviously it does. If you want to sleep and can't give up the coffee, at least don't drink it past noon. I've been a coffee drinker for years and would never be able to sleep with coffee much past noon. Video games also too stimulating.

I second the melatonin and it resets your clock so you should only need it a few days and lower doses are as effective if not more so than higher doses--I had a pharmacist tell me that the other day. Read a little before bed--nothing too engaging though as I've stayed up all night before to finish a book. Make sure your room is dark and if light shines in, block it somehow--the darker your room, the better the quality of your sleep. Some people swear by a little hot chocolate before bed (made from scratch so you get the warm milk), I love a half glass of wine, and I've even heard of eating a potato to relax!

OTC sleep aids can work very well, but they are bad for your brain over the long term. Mom just got dx'ed with alzheimer's the other day and they said "No more tylenol PM!"

Old 07-25-2011, 10:31 PM

16,464 posts, read 19,996,430 times
Sleeping medication may prove toxic, but so may not getting enough sleep, as sleep is very healing to the body. It's been proven that driving a car without enough sleep can be equal to driving drunk. Lack of sleep could lead to an accident, injuring/killing yourself and others.

I fought the idea of sleeping medication for too many years, and finally yielded to it 10 years ago. Best decision I ever made. I also combine that with the wisdom of Eastern Philosophy: our minds crave entertainment, and thought is nothing more than entertainment to the mind. Postpone the entertainment until morning!

There's also nothing worse than getting/being angry before you go to sleep, as anger makes for a very poor bed partner.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:30 AM

6,717 posts, read 11,162,972 times
Get some 1mg melatonin tablets (or go with the smallest unit tablets you can find.)

Take one tonight, two next night.. increase by 1 tablet every night until you can sleep normally.

Then use that dosage.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:37 AM

10,892 posts, read 13,008,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilli View Post
Now I can sleep on my own. Whenever the anxious thoughts are distracting me, I just focus on breathing slow and deep, and soon enough I fall asleep. Hey that rhymed! .
+1

I'm going to make a conscious effort to try this. I've been having trouble sleeping lately as well due to anxious thinking and stress...

Old 07-29-2011, 04:35 AM

10,452 posts, read 10,224,950 times
Do you have any problems with anxiety? That can really interfere with sleep.

Meditation right before sleeping helps me a lot.

Old 07-29-2011, 09:37 AM

10,892 posts, read 13,008,285 times
The breathing thing actually helped me last night. Wow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness