U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 04-10-2011, 07:08 PM
 
368 posts, read 1,358,635 times
Reputation: 247

Advertisements

A family member is suffering form a rare autoimmune disorder which causes very dry skin, redness, rashes, scaling, etc. I read that aloe vera pills and shea butter do help with dry skin. Anyone using these products? Also, if I want to buy them how do I know which ones are the real thing (no scams)?

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-10-2011, 07:17 PM
 
Location: In a house
13,258 posts, read 34,755,638 times
Reputation: 20198
Not aloe vera pills. Just aloe vera. It's a gel, you can get it (and shea butter) in any GNC. Both are applied right to the affected area, by dabbing gently. Aloe is soothing and cooling and is known for its ability to promote healing of various skin problems. Shea is also very good for the skin, but it has a shorter shelf life, and -can- go rancid eventually (though most people use it up long before that happens).
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2011, 07:22 PM
 
368 posts, read 1,358,635 times
Reputation: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Not aloe vera pills. Just aloe vera. It's a gel, you can get it (and shea butter) in any GNC. Both are applied right to the affected area, by dabbing gently. Aloe is soothing and cooling and is known for its ability to promote healing of various skin problems. Shea is also very good for the skin, but it has a shorter shelf life, and -can- go rancid eventually (though most people use it up long before that happens).
Thank you for the quick replay. Actually, it is the aloe vera pills/capsules I am talking about - that's what I read about, I was surprised myself... If you do a search you will see that it supposed to provide internal healing, it is used for Crohn's Disease, etc.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2011, 07:53 PM
 
Location: In a house
13,258 posts, read 34,755,638 times
Reputation: 20198
No, the only people who promote aloe pills to treat crohn's disease, are people who sell it. Think about the total lack of logic:

You take a pill. Let's say it's a fast-dissolving capsule. So it dissolves while it's in your stomach. Once that happens, it begins to be ingested, and the nutrients are sent wherever nutrients go. The rest turns into either urine, or feces, and exits one of two orifices in the body.

If your Crohn's is affecting your anus, and this little itty bitty tiny bit of powdered processed freeze-dried herb is somewhere inside a 4-inch-long, 1-inch-wide tube of crap...how exactly is it supposed to heal your anus?

If it's in your intestine, it's also being mixed with a variety of stomach acids to form that tube that exits your body so again - no, it ain't gonna happen.

Furthermore, the "active" ingredient in Aloe that serves as a laxative, is called Aloin, which is banned by the FDA because it is toxic. Only aloin-free aloe is allowed to be sold for internal use. And without the aloin, it really has no function at all, except as a gelling agent in some gourmet foods.

Last edited by AnonChick; 04-10-2011 at 07:55 PM.. Reason: I spelled laxative wrong.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2011, 08:31 PM
 
368 posts, read 1,358,635 times
Reputation: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
No, the only people who promote aloe pills to treat crohn's disease, are people who sell it. Think about the total lack of logic:

You take a pill. Let's say it's a fast-dissolving capsule. So it dissolves while it's in your stomach. Once that happens, it begins to be ingested, and the nutrients are sent wherever nutrients go. The rest turns into either urine, or feces, and exits one of two orifices in the body.

If your Crohn's is affecting your anus, and this little itty bitty tiny bit of powdered processed freeze-dried herb is somewhere inside a 4-inch-long, 1-inch-wide tube of crap...how exactly is it supposed to heal your anus?

If it's in your intestine, it's also being mixed with a variety of stomach acids to form that tube that exits your body so again - no, it ain't gonna happen.

Furthermore, the "active" ingredient in Aloe that serves as a laxative, is called Aloin, which is banned by the FDA because it is toxic. Only aloin-free aloe is allowed to be sold for internal use. And without the aloin, it really has no function at all, except as a gelling agent in some gourmet foods.
Hmmm.... I see your point...
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2011, 10:55 PM
 
Location: Tucson for awhile longer
8,874 posts, read 12,969,834 times
Reputation: 28962
The best product for very dry skin I have found is the quite-reasonably-priced Gold Bond Ultimate Protection skin therapy lotion. It comes in a pump bottle and there are versions containing aloe and shea butter, although I am partial to the one that's SPF 15 and contains vitamins A, C, and E. It doesn't smell flowery, it soaks into the skin immediately, and given how thick it is, the pump never gets clogged. It's the only thing I've found that really does heal my skin when it's cracked and scaly. It's not an immediate panacea, but use it for three days running and you will see a difference.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2011, 02:45 PM
 
368 posts, read 1,358,635 times
Reputation: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
The best product for very dry skin I have found is the quite-reasonably-priced Gold Bond Ultimate Protection skin therapy lotion. It comes in a pump bottle and there are versions containing aloe and shea butter, although I am partial to the one that's SPF 15 and contains vitamins A, C, and E. It doesn't smell flowery, it soaks into the skin immediately, and given how thick it is, the pump never gets clogged. It's the only thing I've found that really does heal my skin when it's cracked and scaly. It's not an immediate panacea, but use it for three days running and you will see a difference.
Interesting... I bought this one as COSTCO the other day. Thanks!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2011, 10:28 PM
 
Location: ATL suburb
1,366 posts, read 3,611,416 times
Reputation: 1542
The lotion, Eucerin, is pretty good for dry skin, but if you can afford it, pure Shea Butter can do wonders. I've gotten it from Whole Foods and it's somewhat solid, but "melts" in your hands or on your skin. My son and husband use it for chap lips and my son has not gotten any of that "red ring" around his mouth during the winter.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top