U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 08:46 AM

6,368 posts, read 12,503,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraGirl123 View Post
I bought the squeeze bottle back in December when I had an awful head cold. Ewwww...you should have seen the gunk this thing cleaned out of my nose! Easy to use, though.
I use mine even when I'm not having sinus problems, like after mowing grass or working outside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marissy View Post
Where do you buy the squeeze bottle? Walmart? Target?
Any large drugstore should have it. I bought mine at Kroger. It comes in a kit with 50 pre-mixed salt packets. I think it was around $12-13. Don't forget to use distilled water because of the chemicals in tap water.

Moderator cut: no copyrighted images allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
This is the first winter that I can ever remember in which I did not become ill. I consider this a minor miracle for the pain and suffering it has spared me. I would recommend the neti pot to anyone. The squeeze bottle may be as good, but I think the idea is that you clean out the sinuses by making sure it goes in one nostril and out the other.
If you use the bottle right, it goes in one nostril and definitely out the other. The difference is, you're putting pressure behind the solution, pushing it further into your sinuses and reaching more area.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 04-13-2011 at 11:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2011, 10:22 AM

1 posts, read 2,047 times
Hi my nose is pretty stoped up on the left side, so I started with the right side hoping fluids would push the gunk out the left side. but nothing happen so I tilted my head a little more and water begun pouring out of my mouth. It freaked me out at first, then I thought let me try the stuffy side. I felt the water seating in my nose but no luck. My fluids did not run from one opening other, I guess it dosn't work for severe cases. The good news is my right side, where the water did enter, feels pretty good. Maybe I need to get the bottle as-well I even tried hold my head in different direction.

Old 04-22-2011, 10:56 AM

18,899 posts, read 49,795,800 times
just keep doing it until the left side runs clear. It can take many tries before it does work.

Old 04-22-2011, 11:16 AM

10,892 posts, read 12,086,621 times
Wow I didn't even know they had a squeeze bottle! That looks pretty cool.

I tried the neti pot, but like alot of other posters, it didn't seem to really work very well.

Old 04-22-2011, 11:50 AM

88 posts, read 179,278 times
I have a neti pot which I purchased at Walgreens with the saline packets. I like to use slightly warm distilled water. This morning my nose felt a little congested so I used mine.

It may take a little practice for some to learn to use the pot correctly. Don't breathe when using it. The water should flow from the opposite nostril & not from your mouth if your head is bent & tilted up in the correct position.

Old 04-22-2011, 11:56 AM

914 posts, read 1,455,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown noob View Post
Here's a vid I found in case you have never heard of a neti pot before:

YouTube - How To Irrigate Your Nasal Passages

And a site with some usage info:

How to use a neti pot

The first time I tried it I felt like I was drinking salt water. Did I do it wrong? Some of the water was coming out of my mouth as well as my nose.

And I really don't think I would try it with coffee like the dude in the video did.

My boyfriend swears by those cursed things. I tried it once with a horribly stuffed nose and nothing went through and drank a lot of salt water. When he does it, it looks like it feels great.

Moderator cut: not allowed here

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 04-22-2011 at 01:04 PM..

Old 04-22-2011, 11:59 AM

43,858 posts, read 41,694,873 times
I haven't used one, but they do give them away for free on their Facebook page fairly regularly. (Every 3 months or so) I'll make sure to post it when the next free offer comes up.

They just had a free offer last month....
Free NeilMed Sinus Rinse Kit or NasaFlo NeitPot - New Offer - Facebook

Other people on CD did have good things to say about it. Seems it is great for asthma relief.

Old 04-22-2011, 12:06 PM

2,203 posts, read 2,370,725 times
lifelong history of chronic sinusitis here and used a netti pot for several years. Have since switched to a nasal rinse bottle (they sell them in all major drugstore chains (CVS. Wallgreens, RiteAid, etc.) I think the bottle works much better because when you squeeze the bottle, you get much more pressurized water flow. With the netti pot you are just pouring it up one nostril; with the sinus rinse bottle you are shooting pressurized solution--much more effective. I do it religiously at least once daily, sometimes twice daily. Not only does it clear the sinuses but keeps them moist and gets rid of viruses, bacteria.

Old 04-23-2011, 12:07 PM

2,178 posts, read 7,817,581 times
I've used them for many years and wished I'd heard of them many years before I actually did! I have chronic sinusitis with year round allergies with seasonal flare ups. Have had so many sinus infections that it would be impossible to count them.

I have been flushing mine out twice a day every day this April since this is my worst allergy month and so far, not a problem yet.. Unfortunately, I am still suffering from problems I was left with from last Aprils allergy season and had been scared to death of this Aprils allergies.

I have the pot but also have several of the squeeze bottles, I LOVE those!!

Old 04-23-2011, 12:21 PM

11,678 posts, read 19,921,944 times
I've used one, the first time when I got a bit of bronchitis beginning of last year.

I too have problems when I'm really stuffed up, but like others have said, I just keep at it until I get my head right. If it comes out my mouth, I just spit it out and blow out my stuffed up nose gently, then it usually drains.

I didn't know there was a squeeze bottle, but I don't think I'll need that. Never thought of using coffee. Thankfully, I've only needed it once this last winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness