U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 04:34 PM

6,825 posts, read 9,134,267 times

Advertisements

The neti pot was the only thing that helped my allergies years ago when they were severe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2011, 09:37 PM

11,923 posts, read 26,981,539 times
I use my netti pot pretty much everyday. It's a routine now, so if I don't use it I feel kinda nasty.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:27 AM

10,892 posts, read 12,086,621 times
I had a sneezing fit all day yesterday, and am trying the neti pot today...

But one side seems too stuffed up for the water to even flow through.

Is this common? Does the thing not work if you are that stuffed up?!

Old 04-25-2011, 08:41 AM

4,036 posts, read 8,289,050 times
I've never tried the pot, but we are sold on the squeeze bottles. My allergist gave one to me a few years ago, and I got DH hooked on it. I think it says in the instructions somewhere that if the sinus is completely stuffed up, you shouldn't use it. Also, always make sure the water is warm enough. If the water is too cool, it feels like you head is gonna explode.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:57 AM

3,646 posts, read 8,776,862 times
I've used the rinse bottle in the past, with a sinus infection. The first time, I did it "right" and felt SOOOO much better afterward. The next time, I did it wrong and ended up throwing up and feeling MUCH worse for days after. I'm afraid to use it again.

So - imo, if it's done right, it's awesome. If it's not, it sucks royally.

Old 04-25-2011, 06:14 PM

9,258 posts, read 15,204,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
I had a sneezing fit all day yesterday, and am trying the neti pot today...

But one side seems too stuffed up for the water to even flow through.

Is this common? Does the thing not work if you are that stuffed up?!
I've heard that you're not supposed to do it if you're completely stuffed up. Might be good to take a decongestant first and then do the neti. My sinus infection cleared up completely after I did the neti with a couple of drops of oil of oregano, but man did it burn!

Old 04-26-2011, 09:34 AM

10,892 posts, read 12,086,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
I've heard that you're not supposed to do it if you're completely stuffed up. Might be good to take a decongestant first and then do the neti. My sinus infection cleared up completely after I did the neti with a couple of drops of oil of oregano, but man did it burn!

Ok, that makes sense, lol.

Yeah, it finally gave a little and I was able to use the neti pot twice yesterday...It seemed to help a bit. I'll do it again today.

Oil of Oregano- that sounds interesting, is that commonly used?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc
I've used the rinse bottle in the past, with a sinus infection. The first time, I did it "right" and felt SOOOO much better afterward. The next time, I did it wrong and ended up throwing up and feeling MUCH worse for days after. I'm afraid to use it again.
Yeah, I'm kind of weary of the squeeze bottle, I might end up with brain damage or something with my luck lol

Old 04-27-2011, 02:48 PM

14,865 posts, read 21,851,515 times
I also use the neti-pot, it does clear out my sinuses, since I have the sinuses from hell.

Just remember you must breath through your mouth with the neti pot.

Old 04-27-2011, 02:55 PM

14,810 posts, read 12,771,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Same principal - I use a baby bulb syringe over the sink, with warm home-made saline solution. When you can taste it in your throat, you're done!
This is what I use, too. Warm water with a little salt dissolved in it; close throat, squeeze into nostril, bend over sink and let it drain out your mouth. Great for loosening up nasal gunk.

Old 05-01-2011, 08:27 AM

12,411 posts, read 14,988,659 times
If I am too stuffed up and no water exits the second nostril I first try changing the angle of my head a bit. Sometimes a bit of moving around helps. If I still get no water out (I use warm water and salt - the water is sometimes even room temp) I still will use it because salt will tend to draw out infections and congestion. I will try again in a couple of hours and eventually I will get the desired effect. Salt, for me, will eventually cause the swelling to diminish as some of it stays in the nostrils and keeps working after you've used the pot. As a child, if I had an infection on my body my mom used to apply hot salt compresses to remove the infection. This, to me, is the same principle but with just warm(or room temp) water. The pot uses no pressure but for gravity, so there is no chance of harming anything.

I used to use decongestant tablets but often had a rebound effect which left me worse off. I also don't like to use any drugs to protect my kidneys and liver so I will use a physical method if one is available. I find the neti pot both harmless and effective and would recommend it to anyone. I only wish I had had one as a child as my dad and myself were plagued with miserable head colds every winter. This is the first winter of using the pot and the first in which I had no head cold.

I think, if I used oil of oregano or some sort of mint tea I would do so in very small amounts and build up so I don't harm delicate tissues. I also would use salt with them because the natural moisture in our bodies is similar to salt water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness