U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 03:06 PM

940 posts, read 526,107 times

Advertisements

I had an Mri for breast with contract done . I took a Xanax an hour before and was fine , no reaction what so ever to the contrast. I ate before test no one told me you had to fast .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2016, 06:09 PM

219 posts, read 89,338 times
I've had MRI's every 2 months for the last 8 months and MRI's in the past...all with contrast. I've never had that reaction, it just freezes my arm and sometimes stings. But I'm also the weird one that does not like having ear buds in my ears for it as well.

Old 08-25-2016, 08:34 PM

1 posts, read 555 times
Got also a high rate about 10 minutes after the contrast was injected... it was towards the end of the MRI but I got scare and managed not to push the button... maybe it was a little of a panic attack.

Old 08-26-2016, 11:46 AM

10,760 posts, read 19,147,216 times
I recently had a brain MRI w/contrast - only reaction was a little bit of a metallic taste. Tech told me to drink lots of water afterward, I happened to be scheduled for bloodwork the next day and TSH was SUPER low, side effect of the contrast.

Old 08-28-2016, 12:58 PM

15,246 posts, read 23,861,164 times
there are different brands of contrast. I have had many MRI w/contrast and had no problems, the 3 MRI's ago, i had the nausea feeling and they had to take me out, then wait then wheel me cak in.

I found out it was a different company that made that contrast, so we looked at the way before contrasts and I always have to make sure its the name brand that doesnt make me nautious.

im good with them now.

so dont worry thats probably your problem as well.

Old 05-27-2017, 12:01 PM

1 posts, read 418 times
I had a CT recently and I admit I wasn't keen on the iv contrast , but I was doing ok until they injected that stuff , tasted an ammonia like taste & smell & then boom ... Heart rate took off fast an forceful , also skipped or extra beats leaving me thinking I was about to have a heart attack ..shortness of breath somewhat as well when HR sped up so fast ..not a good feeling at all... :-(
Not looking forward to anymore if I can avoid it !

Jan in WI

Old 05-28-2017, 09:09 PM

13,341 posts, read 10,953,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCL111 View Post
My doctor prescribed a MRI with contrast (dye) for an issue I am having. Not sure if I had a reaction to the contrast or a panic attack from being in the MRI tube. I am not normally claustrophobic and was relaxed during the beginning of the test. About 10 minutes into it they tell me over the intercom that they are going to put the contrast in and not to worry if it feels hot or cold.. Ok fine. About a minute or 2 later my heart started to race. I signaled to the tech that I was having a problem -he asked me what was wrong so I told him and he stopped the test and brought me out of the tube. A few minutes later the other tech took my bp (98/72 which normal for me) and my heart rate was 90. She said that racing heart rate was not a normal reaction to the contrast and that I was probably just nervous about the test and I should take a valium next time.

Has anyone had this reaction to the contrast?? I dont want to be doped up next time if I truly had a reaction to the contrast!! I tried to schedule an open MRI to see if that made a difference but apparently you cant use an open MRI for breast exams.

Is there a way to test if you are sensititive to the contrast? Uhg - dont know what to do because I know I need the test but dont want to have a heart attack in the process....

I had an anyphlactic reactor to CT contrast. I've had MRI and 3 phase before with no issues. My BP crashed to 80/68 I got viently sick and lost conciousness. Not a normal reaction. It was the iodine they told me. I've never had a reaction to shellfish, but I have had a topical reaction to iodine before. The contrast put me over the top. It was no fun. My body was on fire when I came to, I was goofy, and the doctor and two nurses were working on me. I fell out of the tube (I guess trying to get out I don't remember) and I guess I cracked my head good on the floor. A most unpleasant experience.

Old 05-28-2017, 09:23 PM

5,805 posts, read 2,170,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCL111 View Post
Thanks! Appreciate your replies. Maybe it was nerves. I will have to try it again - maybe try the valium route.
Yeah, sometimes I just wish they wouldn't say anything, as YOU have that panic button on your finger! Often less you know the better.

I actually am clakstifophic.. and need to take a dose of Ativan, then do mediation and breathing in order to remain calm. So Yeah, that voice sure does disrupt your mind set.. and Yep pretty sure that's what happened to you. IF indeed you were have an allergic reaction the symptoms would have been a lot worse!

Feedback to these folks who conduct these tests should help you in the FUTURE.. ala.. suggest say nothing over intercom unless I have to do something. They are all about advising their patients.. BUT Geesh.. They in end often create more problems by interjecting while you are trying to remain calm!!

Anybody remember when they tried putting headphones on piping in music.. and patients ended up becoming MOBILE ( to the beat of the music) then voila.. THAT got ended PDQ!!

OP, Best you advise the folks operating the SCAN Machine.. DO NOT DISTURB ( CODE SILENCE) .. bet you sail through your next MRI!! Valium BTW is too long acting.. Ativan is the one usually used as has SHORT half-life!! Just going by my past HC experience of understanding how these drugs work and affects!

Old 05-30-2017, 01:24 AM

33,203 posts, read 39,276,305 times
I like using a blind fold when getting an MRI, kinda takes ones mind off the close confines of the machine.

Old 06-01-2017, 07:54 PM

13,073 posts, read 21,223,552 times
I was looking for some info to prepare me for an upcoming MRI and if anything I'm now even more panic stricken. I am mildly claustrophobic from a childhood trauma and was wondering how to handle being shoved into a tube - and now it looks like they will also be juicing me up with something that's going to mess with my metabolism/ heart rate? Oy vey. How long does this process take, like - how long do I have to stay immobile in that tube? Who can I ask to get a sedative? Will they be monitoring my vitals while I'm in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness