U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 03:25 PM

12,480 posts, read 14,364,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck_steak View Post
Getting a "sleep study" done is important if you aren't getting sleep long term. I used to have sleep apnea and didn't even know it until after the study was done. I lost a lot of weight and don't have it anymore, but I still have sleep anxiety so the HUGE metal fans take care of that and any noise that may be outside.

Ask your doctor for a "sleep study" if you're not sleeping long term. It's very important to your health to get good quality sleep.

here is my issue with a sleep study: I would have to be asleep--right? I can't do that on command. If I could there would be no need for going to a sleep center. So how does that work? I can't go to sleep most nights but can during the day....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 05:45 AM

1,677 posts, read 3,609,641 times
If you don't like earplugs you can get headphones. They come with music, white noise etc... and other programs for sleep. You know what the problem is and if you got headphones you could omit the meds.

Trazodone is fine but it's actually an antidepressant (you don't want to take them unless you're actually depressed) and the valierian will make your body stop making it's own.

Headphones: invest in a good pair and enjoy. It could be world war III in the front room and you wouldn't know it if you're wearing headphones.

Also having a set routine before bed is essential. Clean sheets, aroma therapy, maybe a nice pair of gel eye pads a satin night dress...oh boy; I'm getting tired.

Good Night

Old 04-20-2011, 07:49 AM

9,454 posts, read 15,010,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
here is my issue with a sleep study: I would have to be asleep--right? I can't do that on command. If I could there would be no need for going to a sleep center. So how does that work? I can't go to sleep most nights but can during the day....

sometimes you can arrange a sleep study done in your home----call around.

I can't just "go to sleep" on command, either. My environment has to be just right, room-darkening curtains, white noise (I use a small fan), a watch tv until I nod off. I know they say not to watch TV, but I find it helps for me.
People are different, some can just drop off, others have to work at it. My son14 is the same way, he often just doesn't sleep at all, then falls asleep in school the next day. His doctor suggested melatonion, but only for ocassional use. I'm looking into a sleep study for him, preferably at home. Perhaps we could add it to his IEP, that is, he's not to be punished if he falls asleep at school. He really can't help it.

Old 04-20-2011, 08:49 AM

15 posts, read 40,550 times
I used to live right next to a busy (and noisy) road and began having trouble sleeping because of it. I purchased some ear plugs and they worked great. Now I can't sleep without them!

If you've never slept with them in before, it is a bit weird at first and takes a little while to get used to. But if you stick it out for a few days I think you'll be happy.

Old 04-20-2011, 11:33 AM

806 posts, read 1,954,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
So I been taking trazedone and melatonin. Now it won't work for me. My family is very noisy. It can be 11pm at night and my mother and brother are yelling. Or my dad is yelling. They are very loud and inconsiderate with a lack of respect. So now I need some medicine that will knock me out to void out the zone. and i dont like earplugs. thanks. btw i usually go to bed around 10 or 11, but since i was bothered by the noise i have a hard time relaxing and so five hours later i wake up. i usually dream right away then the noise of my family disturbs me and i cant dream again.

What the heck is going on with your family??
Why are they yelling so late at night??
Do you ever say anything to them, or will you get yelled at too??

Man, that sux.. Total lack of respect..

Did you get a prescription for the Trazadone? Maybe you could ask your doc for a RX for Ativan, it helps with anxiety and aids in sleep. I'm sure with all that yelling, it startles you, which can cause anxiety when trying to get to sleep.

Or get a air horn and blow that baby every time they start yelling, they might get the picture... (or not, if you might get hit by your dad)

Old 05-17-2012, 11:54 PM

4 posts, read 11,325 times
Sleep issues and sleep disorders are a common prevalence in today's society. If taking Melatonin is not helping you, I would advise you take help from herbal products.

Old 05-18-2012, 07:29 AM

13,859 posts, read 13,539,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
...easier said than done. For anyone with insomnia and other sleep issues--we already KNOW we need it we just aren't capable of getting it.
True. I finally read an article years ago that stated that people with sleep problems (I'm one) often have higher levels of the stress hormone cortisol and they just don't sleep as much as other people. After that, I stopped worrying about how little sleep I would often get. My doctor told me that less than five hours a night is when you need to be concerned.

OP, stick with the fan and avoid prescription meds unless you are depressed. Waking up at 3 am is a sign of depression. With your family yelling like that, I can see why. Hang in there.

Old 05-18-2012, 10:20 PM

102 posts, read 271,514 times
Do you have RLS (restless leg syndrome)? I noticed it at the top of the post, and that's why I ask. If so, this may also be hindering your sleep. Requip, Cogentin, and several other drugs have been shown to aide in relief of RLS symptoms.

If your family is the main reason you are up, consider earplugs, a fan, or a white noise machine. You could also consider playing relaxing music as you sleep. If your family is arguing a lot, this could be causing subconscious stress, guilt, fear, or other emotions that prevent you from sleeping. Perhaps you would benefit from talking to your primary care physician, or a psychologist.

If you think the Trazodone has stopped working for you, there are plenty of other sleep aides out there. Ambien, Klonopin, Lunesta, Rozerem, Sonata, Ativan, Xanax, and Dalmane are just some of the drugs you could look into. Also, Benadryl (sold over the counter) will induce sleep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness