U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 05:28 AM

1 posts, read 5,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecypher5413 View Post
I wasn't thrilled about the actuality of a radiologist sticking long thin needles into my thyroid nodule while I was awake and watching, but this thread is to reassure you if you're facing the same diagnostic test.

My thyroid nodule had been classified uninodular non-toxic but my endocrinologist recommended the FNA just to be sure. So, while I rested on my back on a table wishing the ceiling had a picture of Clive Owen or Daniel Craig to look at, the sonographer used the transducer of the ultrasound machine to locate the nodule for the radiologist and they talked about it in multi-syllabic medical terminology while they decided on the best angle of entry. (If you're lucky enough to have a radiologist like mine, you also get to hear patient jokes and friendly banter to put you at your ease.)

Then the sonographer paints a wide area around your thyroid with Betadine solution and the radiologist warns that you're going to feel "a bee-sting or two" as he injects lidocaine around the thyroid to numb you up. (You can opt for some Xanax, too, if your anxiety level requires it.) Pain control in place, it's time to watch those VERY LONG thin needles appear in your peripheral vision and feel a strange probing sensation as the radiologist attempts to get a diagnostic sample big enough for the pathologist while carefully viewing where the needle tip is on the ultrasound display. (Bad form to nick the carotid artery.) I say "needles" (plural) because my nodule was a dry, uncooperative one (of course) and the radiologist decided to take FIVE separate samples to be sure I didn't have to repeat the procedure.

The good thing was, right before I thought I'd explode with wanting to swallow or cough during the tissue extraction (and thus cause my thyroid to bob up and down like a boat in a rough sea), the radiologist finished the extraction and removed the needle. I was given the opportunity to swallow and/or cough before each attempt, along with a hand signal if I couldn't control the urge. Luckily, I was able to stay still during the crucial moments I needed to and pretend I was sunning myself on a tropical beach while a few sand fleas were biting.

There was very little bleeding for the bandaid to cover, and I was given a re-freezable ice pack for the bruising and any swelling. A couple of Tylenol took care of the pain and all I'm experiencing this morning is a stiff neck and a bit of residual soreness.

So this is to let you know not to be afraid of a FNA if that's what it will take to set your mind at ease about the status of your thyroid nodule. It was a great relief to hear my radiologist say, in his professional opinion, it "looked benign" and that he would get the results to my endo doc as soon as possible.
Yes, I too felt very much reassured when the Dr who did my FNA told me it's highly unlikely that my nodules are malignant. He, as well as the nurse in the room said I have multi-nodules; making for a greater chance of them being benign. My FNA procedure was not difficult, or that uncomfortable for me. I just kept wanting to swallow because of the way they had my head and neck hyper-extended during the procedure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2013, 06:04 AM

13,258 posts, read 34,604,245 times
No I'm not taking iodine supplements, I never was. I don't have a thyroid problem, and never did. I had a growth of abnormal cells ON my thyroid, and the only way to safely remove that growth was to - remove the growth - and the tiny bit of thyroid that it was attached to. I never had to take ANY supplements. The thyroid itself was fine - and in fact, the rest of my thyroid is still intact, and is working just fine. I take a maintenence dose of synthetic thyroid so that my intact thyroid doesn't have to work twice as hard to produce the hormones that it is supposed to produce. I pay $4 every 90 days for it, my levels (ALL OF THEM) are perfect, I have NO side effects at all.

I had no chemo, no radiation. Snip snip and a month later the only way you could tell there was ever anything wrong at all, was the healing scar on my neck.

The only supplements I take are a chewable children's vitamin and a daily TUMs 750mg calcium chewable. I take care of myself through diet, exercise, having friends and family who love me, working and enjoying the work I do, and a positive outlook on life.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 05-03-2013 at 08:56 AM..

Old 05-03-2013, 08:35 PM

25,584 posts, read 30,493,706 times
I had a thyroid biopsy a years ago to look at a goiter I have. Family history more than environmental factors seems together cause. Once the endocrinologist figured out the level of hormone replacement I needed it is super simple to treat and control. I go in my doctor once a year for a blood test to check levels and get a new prescription.

In my instance there is family history. Albeit, not terribly common.

Old 05-03-2013, 08:59 PM

13,258 posts, read 34,604,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
I had a thyroid biopsy a years ago to look at a goiter I have. Family history more than environmental factors seems together cause. Once the endocrinologist figured out the level of hormone replacement I needed it is super simple to treat and control. I go in my doctor once a year for a blood test to check levels and get a new prescription.

In my instance there is family history. Albeit, not terribly common.
So did you have to get a needle biopsy? How was it?

Old 05-03-2013, 10:00 PM

25,584 posts, read 30,493,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
So did you have to get a needle biopsy? How was it?
Yup, it was a needle biopsy. Wasn't bad at all.

Old 06-11-2013, 01:48 PM

1 posts, read 5,795 times
i have had an ultrasound and told that i have a 1 inch hard nodule,am going for biopsy, but so worried as i seem to reed that hard nodules are cancerous

Old 06-12-2013, 12:00 PM

1 posts, read 5,780 times
Default Tyroid FNA

I found a lump at the end of last year..... in March i finally went to see a Doctor and was referred to the hospital for an Ultrasound. When i eventually had my Ultrasound after my referral had been lost the lump that i had gone to see them about turned out not to be the worry. I have a much smaller solid lump that i could not feel which had microcalcifications on it.
It doesn't matter what the lump looks like or size the only way to know if it is malignant is to have it biopsied. I had my Biopsy today. The area was not numbed and i must say it was pretty uncomfortable but something that had to be done. It was no where near as bad as my imagination had made it.
There really is no need to be scared. The chances of Malignancy are very low.
Good luck.

Old 07-12-2013, 09:42 AM

1 posts, read 5,680 times
Default Question on 1cm complex nodule - FNA scheduled

I had an ultrasound recently that showed I have a 1.1cm complex nodule on my right lobe, which was 0.7cm 4 years ago. Met with Endo, who suggested that there isn't much to worry about. Although I'm concerned that it has grown, that is complex (it wasn't 4 years ago) and that my labs including TSH are normal - which rules out underactive/overactive thyroid. Endo said they will schedule me for an FNA to help me "sleep better at night" by confirming that my nodule is not suspicious. Part of me feels the FNA will be a waste considering that I'm petrified of needles and have a super low tolerance to pain. But the other part of me won't be able to stop thinking about and googling it unless I have it done. I'm looking to get some thoughts on this and if there is anyone out there who had a similar ultrasound report which ended up malignant. I'm a 37 yo F with only colon cancer (1 person) in family history. Thanks!

Old 07-12-2013, 01:33 PM

12,480 posts, read 14,364,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCP2013 View Post
I had an ultrasound recently that showed I have a 1.1cm complex nodule on my right lobe, which was 0.7cm 4 years ago. Met with Endo, who suggested that there isn't much to worry about. Although I'm concerned that it has grown, that is complex (it wasn't 4 years ago) and that my labs including TSH are normal - which rules out underactive/overactive thyroid. Endo said they will schedule me for an FNA to help me "sleep better at night" by confirming that my nodule is not suspicious. Part of me feels the FNA will be a waste considering that I'm petrified of needles and have a super low tolerance to pain. But the other part of me won't be able to stop thinking about and googling it unless I have it done. I'm looking to get some thoughts on this and if there is anyone out there who had a similar ultrasound report which ended up malignant. I'm a 37 yo F with only colon cancer (1 person) in family history. Thanks!
I had the biopsy done for my doctor's peace of mind, not mine The pain involved is minimal because they numb the area and any pain felt is worth it for peace of mind.
IF you're so worried that you're losing sleep and googling things(which BTW is not going to tell you anything about YOUR situation), then you should probably have the biopsy. I think the malignancy rate in thyroid cancer is low and the cure rate of those are very high.

Old 07-13-2013, 11:30 AM

51,182 posts, read 50,480,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCP2013 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
I had the biopsy done for my doctor's peace of mind, not mine The pain involved is minimal because they numb the area and any pain felt is worth it for peace of mind.
IF you're so worried that you're losing sleep and googling things(which BTW is not going to tell you anything about YOUR situation), then you should probably have the biopsy. I think the malignancy rate in thyroid cancer is low and the cure rate of those are very high.
What Pippy said. I have three very large nodules on my thyroid. I'd had them biopsied about ten years before, and they were benign. But over the past couple of years, they've grown huge--they are noticeable now on my neck, and since the one on the right side is larger than the two on the left combined, I looked sort of lumpy and lopsided. I had biopsies done again, and they are still benign. They numb your neck, so it doesn't really hurt, but you can feel referred pain (not bad, just like someone is poking you) in the chest below the neck.

I have an appointment in three weeks with an endocrinologist though because they sort of hurt and they are cutting off my breathing. I can breathe just fine if I put my head all the way back, but I'll look funny and trip over things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness