U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 11:40 AM

6 posts, read 9,867 times

Advertisements

I had my FNA this morning and it went very well. They injected some type of anesthetic before taking the sample, which did not hurt. Hoping for results in the next couple of days. For anyone else that requires the FNA, do not worry. It is nearly painless and fast. Good luck to everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 08:30 PM

51,225 posts, read 50,519,955 times
I just found out today that I'll have to have the thyroid removed. I was hoping there was some other way to deal with the nodules, but apparently not. They're strangling me.

I still have to meet with the surgeon, but the endocrinologist said it's usually just an overnight. I've never been in the hospital before except when i had my daughter (by C-section), so I guess I've been lucky but I'm not thrilled about somebody cutting me open. It's got to be done though, so I'll get through it.

Old 07-30-2013, 12:36 PM

12,480 posts, read 14,371,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I just found out today that I'll have to have the thyroid removed. I was hoping there was some other way to deal with the nodules, but apparently not. They're strangling me.

I still have to meet with the surgeon, but the endocrinologist said it's usually just an overnight. I've never been in the hospital before except when i had my daughter (by C-section), so I guess I've been lucky but I'm not thrilled about somebody cutting me open. It's got to be done though, so I'll get through it.

I know several people who have had this surgery. Not even ONE of them has complained of pain; including my 75 year old aunt. I always assumed it would hurt but not according to anyone I've asked.
(Ask for pain pills though,just in case you have a bad day/night)
Sorry you're going through this and the strangling sounds just ghastly. Will be sending positive thoughts your way.

Old 03-18-2014, 04:05 PM

63 posts, read 69,063 times
I had this done today and for all those people who have been reading patients' opinions online about it and are in fear from the horror stories, please don't be afraid, there's nothing to it! Piece of cake! I started out with one nodule, then it became three, and one had grown a bit, so I was sent to a head/neck cancer surgeon. Good looking, Too, I might add! He felt my neck quickly and asked if the nodules bother me, which they dont. He said 95% of the time, the nodules are benign, no cancer....and he leaves them alone unless they are bothering me. He did a very fast ultrasound, then took a sample with a needle. It took just one stick, it actually did not hurt at all, I barely felt anything but a tiny bit of pressure for a second. The needle is so teensie-tiny-thin, you wont hardly feel a thing! If you are a diabetic on insulin, you know how little the needles are. And it did not feel long at all! Trust me! It took about 5 seconds! I swear! The guy's a pro! He said it was a good sample and he didnt need to do anything else, and I was sent on my way with a follow-up appointment for next week to find out the results. I don't know why some call this a "surgery"! This is not a surgery! Now, if you were getting all or part of your thyroid removed, that would be a slight surgery!

All the people that wrote the online posts on various sites about it being painful or exscrutiating, I don't know if they're just lieing to scare you, or are really big babies that love to exaggerate, but they scared the crap out of me with their stories, then it turned out to be a 5-second piece of cake! And all their comments about "they had to make 7, 8, or 12 "passes" (whatever that means).......all I can say is HUUUUUHHHHHH????? Dont know what they are talking about! Many said their throats were sore afterwards, and they could hardly swallow, etc. I cant even tell he DID anything! NO soreness at ALL! It looks like I have a little round hickey but thats all. i immediately went to Culver's for a burger, fries, and Coke!

Some talked about the numbing being as bad or worse than the needle aspiration. Well, I wasn't even offered it, nor would I have needed it at all. It's crazy to think you'd need to be numbed for something that painless! Just please rest assured that this is a walk in the park, and don't be afraid. NO FEAR!

Last edited by luvmyfloyd; 03-18-2014 at 04:10 PM.. Reason: Left out info

Old 03-18-2014, 10:47 PM

12,480 posts, read 14,371,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyfloyd View Post
I had this done today and for all those people who have been reading patients' opinions online about it and are in fear from the horror stories, please don't be afraid, there's nothing to it! Piece of cake! I started out with one nodule, then it became three, and one had grown a bit, so I was sent to a head/neck cancer surgeon. Good looking, Too, I might add! He felt my neck quickly and asked if the nodules bother me, which they dont. He said 95% of the time, the nodules are benign, no cancer....and he leaves them alone unless they are bothering me. He did a very fast ultrasound, then took a sample with a needle. It took just one stick, it actually did not hurt at all, I barely felt anything but a tiny bit of pressure for a second. The needle is so teensie-tiny-thin, you wont hardly feel a thing! If you are a diabetic on insulin, you know how little the needles are. And it did not feel long at all! Trust me! It took about 5 seconds! I swear! The guy's a pro! He said it was a good sample and he didnt need to do anything else, and I was sent on my way with a follow-up appointment for next week to find out the results. I don't know why some call this a "surgery"! This is not a surgery! Now, if you were getting all or part of your thyroid removed, that would be a slight surgery!

All the people that wrote the online posts on various sites about it being painful or exscrutiating, I don't know if they're just lieing to scare you, or are really big babies that love to exaggerate, but they scared the crap out of me with their stories, then it turned out to be a 5-second piece of cake! And all their comments about "they had to make 7, 8, or 12 "passes" (whatever that means).......all I can say is HUUUUUHHHHHH????? Dont know what they are talking about! Many said their throats were sore afterwards, and they could hardly swallow, etc. I cant even tell he DID anything! NO soreness at ALL! It looks like I have a little round hickey but thats all. i immediately went to Culver's for a burger, fries, and Coke!

Some talked about the numbing being as bad or worse than the needle aspiration. Well, I wasn't even offered it, nor would I have needed it at all. It's crazy to think you'd need to be numbed for something that painless! Just please rest assured that this is a walk in the park, and don't be afraid. NO FEAR!
not so fast there now. When my nodule was first discovered I had that simple little procedure you speak of. One needle, fast and quick.However.................there is another type biopsy which I later had to have and it was done by the head radiologist at a hospital in what was basically an operating room.
No fast,quick and in a hurry that time. Oh NO. There was a third person in the room who sat at a table and as the radiologist withdrew tissue time after time she would hand over to this lady who checked to make sure samples were significant in size for pathology to test them.
The needle was quite large and not only blood but tissue was taken. It DID hurt like hell. There multiple pokes and prods. I would guess up to 20. The procedure took a good hour. AND my neck was sore and bruised the next few days.
Please don't assume what you went through is what all procedures are like.

Hope your results are benign. Mine were but not everyone's is. Every person is an individual with very different experiences. Be glad that is all you had done --so far

Old 03-19-2014, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
not so fast there now. When my nodule was first discovered I had that simple little procedure you speak of. One needle, fast and quick.However.................there is another type biopsy which I later had to have and it was done by the head radiologist at a hospital in what was basically an operating room.
No fast,quick and in a hurry that time. Oh NO. There was a third person in the room who sat at a table and as the radiologist withdrew tissue time after time she would hand over to this lady who checked to make sure samples were significant in size for pathology to test them.
The needle was quite large and not only blood but tissue was taken. It DID hurt like hell. There multiple pokes and prods. I would guess up to 20. The procedure took a good hour. AND my neck was sore and bruised the next few days.
Please don't assume what you went through is what all procedures are like.

Hope your results are benign. Mine were but not everyone's is. Every person is an individual with very different experiences. Be glad that is all you had done --so far
That's what I had, too. It took about an hour, and the doctor sent the assistant out to look for a bigger needle because the one he had wasn't good for the biggest (larger than 10 cm) nodule.

I had the doctor in the background, too, (She was a doc but a pathologist) looking to see if they got enough tissue and not just blood for a proper biopsy. The assistant had my thyroid on the screen, and the pathologist kept talking about whatever she was seeing under her microscope and the biopsy doctor kept saying--LOOK AT THIS. LOOK AT WHAT I'M SEEING HERE. I was numb, so it didn't hurt, but it wasn't over in seconds, and I was sore for a few days afterward.

Anyway, I got the results--benign, BUT the thyroid was so large I was having difficulty breathing--so much so that when I talked I got out of breath. They decided to take out the thyroid, then cut me open and found that my neck was full of what looked like cement that could not be separated from the soft tissue. It was around my trachea, my trachea was shoved to one side, around my carotid artery, everything. They biopsied it because it looked like anablastic carcinoma, but if it had been that, I would not be here typing this now. It is either Hasimoto's Thyroiditis or Reidel's Thyroiditis. They couldn't distinguish between the two. I am being treated with prednisone and tamoxifen, and I can breath better now.

Old 03-19-2014, 12:37 PM

10,713 posts, read 19,054,470 times
That sounds like a biopsy, not an FNA which is aspiration - two different procedures.

Old 03-19-2014, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
That sounds like a biopsy, not an FNA which is aspiration - two different procedures.
They do an FNA to get the material for a biopsy--otherwise why would you do an FNA in the first place?
I had FNAs on the three nodules for the initial biopsies. Months later, during surgery, they cut out 7 pieces for another biopsy.

Old 03-19-2014, 07:30 PM

10,713 posts, read 19,054,470 times
Point is: folks were posting on here for a different procedure than the thread.

Old 03-19-2014, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Point is: folks were posting on here for a different procedure than the thread.
True.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness