U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 12:01 PM

12,480 posts, read 14,385,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neena4 View Post
Simple test FNB I was worried over nothing it only took 20 mins

there are FNB and then there are FNB. I've had a 20,almost no pain,minute one. And I've had a very long,very painful yet very thorough one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2016, 06:23 PM

1 posts, read 1,068 times
An ultrasound of my thyroid revealed a few small nodules, but the dominant one was 1.1 cm and solid. Endo doesn't think it's malignant, however, he has to prove it with an FNA. I am not so afraid of the biopsy as I am that it is cancer. I am 69. My TSH levels on a routine blood test revealed that it was borderline low. That's what sent me to the endo. I am always anxious and jumpy. Dr. said this could all be part of thyroid problem or possibly Graves disease. Any helpful hints?

MUCKY

Old 02-05-2016, 04:09 PM

13,435 posts, read 7,159,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mucky46 View Post
An ultrasound of my thyroid revealed a few small nodules, but the dominant one was 1.1 cm and solid. Endo doesn't think it's malignant, however, he has to prove it with an FNA. I am not so afraid of the biopsy as I am that it is cancer. I am 69. My TSH levels on a routine blood test revealed that it was borderline low. That's what sent me to the endo. I am always anxious and jumpy. Dr. said this could all be part of thyroid problem or possibly Graves disease. Any helpful hints?

MUCKY
Usually low TSH means you're hypO, not hypERthyroid - Graves causes you to be hyperthyroid. You'll need more tests to confirm a diagnosis. Lots of people do have nodules, especially later in life and they are many times benign or extremely slow growing. Good luck!

Old 02-17-2016, 10:56 AM

889 posts, read 1,430,443 times
I just had thyroid surgery last week. I had a 6cm (large!) nodule, and the doctor removed it along with half of my thyroid. I won't know for a while if the other half is compensating.

The fine needle aspirative biopsy, which I had in November, was totally painless. It felt weird, but without pain. I could drive myself home without any problems.

Old 05-09-2016, 09:26 PM

1 posts, read 916 times
I've just had a biopsy today and seriously (being the anxious person that I am) I had huge anxiety leading up to it, mostly due to the horror stories I read online.

Seriously, I stressed over nothing!

I was given a local anaesthetic (which stung a little, but nothing major) and I only felt the smallest prick of the biopsy needle and then nothing.

They only needed to do two passes to get sufficient cells and it was over in 20 minutes - piece of cake!!

Seriously, don't stress over the biopsy. My tiny tattoo hurt more!

Old 12-04-2016, 02:45 AM

1 posts, read 682 times
I had my first FNA 15 years ago. I could feel the little nodule when I swallowed. While I remember it being uncomfortable to lie there and not move while someone stuck three large biopsy needles in my neck, I don't recall a lot of pain after. Results were inconclusive so I went about my life.

Had a thyroid ultrasound a week ago because my endo thought my thyroid felt enlarged. The ultrasound report came back multinodule goiter. One on the left is almost 3 cm and the two on the right were almost 1 cm each. Had the FNA 36 hours ago. For some reason, they only biopsied the two on the right. I imagine it's because they showed calcification on the ultrasound. The ultrasound tech for the FNA told me everyone has a different experience. I had been through it before and I thougt I knew what to expect. I was wrong.

Holy geeze, that was unpleasant. The initial lidocaine shot wasn't bad at all. I felt the pinch and the burn but I know the numbing is coming and it did until he had trouble piercing the nodule because of the calcification. Over and over I could feel the doctor stabbing at it. I heard him tell the tech that the nodule was so calcified, it kept rolling away. At first it wasn't bad but then I started to feel it and I couldn't stop the involuntary wincing. He noticed and asked if I was feeling it. It felt like it was hitting my throat. I could feel the pressure with each stab up in my ear. He told me there's a nerve that runs down your thyroid and sometimes they hit it and sometimes they don't. Please don't write people off for feeling pain you did not as being weak. You just got lucky or your nodule was more cyst like than calcified. It's a lot easier to pierce a grape than a skittle.

He finally stopped and said he's not going to continue because he didn't like hurting someone that much and he felt he got enough. After he left the room, I asked the tech if I could see the pictures and she showed me where the needle definitely went into the nodule. I told her I had fears of going through this again given my last FNA was inconclusive. She said that happens a lot with cyst like nodules. It's harder to get a tissue sample from a cyst (as opposed to what I don't know) but she said they "definitely" got tissue this time. Ugh. 3-5 day wait for results. My FNA site has swollen to a lump with a huge black/blue/red bruise about 2-3 inches around it and I am starting to feel pressure in that same ear which concerns me.

Bottom line is no one knows what kind of experience you're going to have. I myself had two wildly different experiences. It depends on the type/size of nodule and where they're sitting on that particular day. For every person on this site that said it's a piece of cake or no big deal, there are those of us that had a very different experience. I have had many procedures in my life. This wasn't my first pain rodeo. No matter what your experience, it doesn't last long and once that needle is in there, you're almost done.

Last edited by Interliner; 12-04-2016 at 03:03 AM..

Old 07-22-2017, 01:44 AM

2 posts, read 738 times
Had a fine needle biopsy today. Had this in 2005 approx. There was no pain either time, however, now have lupus, with a compromised immune system, this time feeling as if I have the flu or have a flare of lupus ( achey, sick all over is how a flare feels). Wondering if the procedure is responsible for this. Wish we all had problem free thyroid procedures; it is not so. From decades of experience with illness, knowledge I have acquired from endocrinologist, the majority of these needle tests go well without horrific discomfort, still the individual patient physical facts determine who has pain. If you feel apprehension, the option of sedatives is legitimate, give this serious thought. Hope all tests are negative, if not, zapping those with powerful thoughts of love.

Old 07-22-2017, 10:58 AM

18,925 posts, read 6,185,164 times
I can't say anything about the procedure and lupus now. I sent you a rep with some info.

I never had the needle thing but had years of sluggish thyroid and since on desiccated thryoid in 2002 it changed my life. I got no good help from the endo doctors I saw starting back in 1991.

I guess nodules are the reason for the fine needle biopsy. I had nodules years ago and nothing today. Do you consume a lot of calcium. A friend ended up with nodules which were calcium deposits from sucking on Tums for many years. No good advice from her MD.

Old 07-23-2017, 08:47 AM

4,628 posts, read 10,513,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I can't say anything about the procedure and lupus now. I sent you a rep with some info.

I never had the needle thing but had years of sluggish thyroid and since on desiccated thryoid in 2002 it changed my life. I got no good help from the endo doctors I saw starting back in 1991.

I guess nodules are the reason for the fine needle biopsy. I had nodules years ago and nothing today. Do you consume a lot of calcium. A friend ended up with nodules which were calcium deposits from sucking on Tums for many years. No good advice from her MD.
Again, Tums DO NOT lead to calcium deposits on the thyroid, not even REMOTELY possible or plausible

Increased calcium intake IN ANY FORM does not lead to calcium deposits on the thyroid...

Calcium deposits on the thyroid can indicate thyroid cancer and should be aggressively worked up...

You need to stop posting this same unsubstantiated nonsense over and over...

Old 07-23-2017, 11:58 AM

14,701 posts, read 18,785,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
`...You need to stop posting this same unsubstantiated nonsense over and over...

Unfortunately, the C-D posting rules do not prohibit someone's posting unsubstantiated nonsense, no matter how physically harmful it may be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness