U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 12:05 PM

21,547 posts, read 7,272,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
Unfortunately, the C-D posting rules do not prohibit someone's posting unsubstantiated nonsense, no matter how physically harmful it may be.
Unfortunate or not, we all come from our experiences in our lives. And contrary to what some think or push, it's a big world out there with plenty of room for difference of opinions and experiences. As for harm, I'm dealing with plenty of harm from my last major health experience with knee.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 07-23-2017 at 12:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2017, 03:08 PM

4,870 posts, read 10,780,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Unfortunate or not, we all come from our experiences in our lives. And contrary to what some think or push, it's a big world out there with plenty of room for difference of opinions and experiences. As for harm, I'm dealing with plenty of harm from my last major health experience with knee.
Saying "eating Tums can lead to calcifications on the thyroid" is not a "difference of opinion"....

It is made up nonsense, ascribing a causal relationship to a circumstance of taking Tums to development of thyroid nodules or calcifications that is not supported by any science, makes no sense from an anatomic or physiologic standpoint...

Unless you can produce even ONE study to back up this nonsensical fairy tale of "Tums leading to thyroid calcifications" you need to stop posting it over and over and over ad nauseam.

If you cause even ONE person to ignore a physician's advice to have a thyroid nodule biopsied because, "hey I take Calcium supplements, THAT must be why I have these nodules, I read it on the internet so it must be true"
and that person actually has Thyroid Cancer then you have done real harm...

There are "opinions" and there are "informed, educated opinions".....not all opinions should be given the same weight on topics such as medicine....

As for "harm with your knee" since you choose to share so much information on this topic as has been pointed out to you over and over, the most likely "causes of your infected knee" would include repeated prolotherapy, acupuncture (including self acupuncture) and lack of appropriate dental care....so in other words "self inflicted harm"

Old 07-23-2017, 03:51 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,704,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
Unfortunately, the C-D posting rules do not prohibit someone's posting unsubstantiated nonsense, no matter how physically harmful it may be.
I discovered the ignore feature....

Old 07-23-2017, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Saying "eating Tums can lead to calcifications on the thyroid" is not a "difference of opinion"....

It is made up nonsense, ascribing a causal relationship to a circumstance of taking Tums to development of thyroid nodules or calcifications that is not supported by any science, makes no sense from an anatomic or physiologic standpoint...

Unless you can produce even ONE study to back up this nonsensical fairy tale of "Tums leading to thyroid calcifications" you need to stop posting it over and over and over ad nauseam.

If you cause even ONE person to ignore a physician's advice to have a thyroid nodule biopsied because, "hey I take Calcium supplements, THAT must be why I have these nodules, I read it on the internet so it must be true"
and that person actually has Thyroid Cancer then you have done real harm...

There are "opinions" and there are "informed, educated opinions".....not all opinions should be given the same weight on topics such as medicine....

As for "harm with your knee" since you choose to share so much information on this topic as has been pointed out to you over and over, the most likely "causes of your infected knee" would include repeated prolotherapy, acupuncture (including self acupuncture) and lack of appropriate dental care....so in other words "self inflicted harm"
What's wrong with a person working on their own health. Who says anyone has to go to doctors constantly. I have no other health issues but this nasty lifelong OA. The more I can stay away from doctors, the better off I am. If I get sick and tired of the compromised walking I MAY consider a knee replacement, but I fear that big time. Still deal with 3 complications from hip replacement in 2010. I've had enough damage done over my years.

And everyone here makes their own decisions.

Old 07-23-2017, 08:08 PM

1,118 posts, read 696,342 times
Quote:
What's wrong with a person working on their own health. Who says anyone has to go to doctors constantly. I have no other health issues but this nasty lifelong OA. The more I can stay away from doctors, the better off I am. If I get sick and tired of the compromised walking I MAY consider a knee replacement, but I fear that big time. Still deal with 3 complications from hip replacement in 2010. I've had enough damage done over my years.

And everyone here makes their own decisions.
there is nothing wrong with one working on their own health. but you don't confine yourself to your own health.

your latest advice on tums/nodules is almost beyond the pale and could have negative consequences for someone that is not you.

Old 07-24-2017, 05:35 AM

33,637 posts, read 40,337,723 times
I had two thyroid biopsies last year to discover the nature of a nodule, while my apprehension was high the procedure turned out to be painless, after the ordeal the nurse showed me the biopsy needle,it was about an inch long and of a size similar to my insulin injection needles. Not sure why some feel pain during this procedure as the area is thoroughly frozen beforehand.

Old 07-24-2017, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old fed View Post
there is nothing wrong with one working on their own health. but you don't confine yourself to your own health.

your latest advice on tums/nodules is almost beyond the pale and could have negative consequences for someone that is not you.
This is exactly what my friend told me she had popped tums for yrs on her docs recommendation that it was a good form of calcium, she ended up with nodules and then had a good portion of thyroid removed. Her voice is very compromised now. She's sorry she listened to her MD's. Don't believe if you don't wish too, millions pop those tums like they are candy and who knows many do have calcium nodules from this practice. Why is it so inconceivable. So many drugs and foods do us harm.

My friends don't make up stories and as I said I had some nodules years ago when a MD ordered an ultrasound and have no issues and that was probably 20 yrs ago, I take thyroid support and no tums for sure, never did. And why can't people share health issues with friends...maybe you don't but many do. What are friends for.

Furthermore, MANY threads talk about friends/family experiences???!!!!

Last edited by jaminhealth; 07-24-2017 at 10:22 AM..

Old 07-24-2017, 10:16 AM

1,118 posts, read 696,342 times
your friend has no idea if those two things are connected and neither do you.

you're doing this but without any data points. you don't even have a decent anecdote.

Mexican Lemons Prevent Highway Death – Common Knowledge

Old 07-24-2017, 10:16 AM

33,637 posts, read 40,337,723 times
I used to take a lot of Tums and Rolaids for heartburn /acid indigestion then last year my doctor prescribed a daily medication called Pantoprazole, 40mg, i havent had a heartburn issue in over a year.

Old 07-24-2017, 03:29 PM

4,870 posts, read 10,780,819 times
Quote:
This is exactly what my friend told me she had popped tums for yrs on her docs recommendation that it was a good form of calcium, she ended up with nodules and then had a good portion of thyroid removed. Her voice is very compromised now. She's sorry she listened to her MD's. Don't believe if you don't wish too, millions pop those tums like they are candy and who knows many do have calcium nodules from this practice. Why is it so inconceivable. So many drugs and foods do us harm.

My friends don't make up stories and as I said I had some nodules years ago when a MD ordered an ultrasound and have no issues and that was probably 20 yrs ago, I take thyroid support and no tums for sure, never did. And why can't people share health issues with friends...maybe you don't but many do. What are friends for.

Furthermore, MANY threads talk about friends/family experiences???!!!!
Why is it inconceivable ? Because you are ascribing cause and effect where there is NONE....

There is NO evidence, I repeat NO evidence that taking Tums causing calcifications ANYWHERE in the body let alone the thyroid...

Your "friend" (convenient that you have friend's with every known condition to mankind) may have A. taken Tums...she may have B. developed a thyroid nodule with calcifications....

That DOES NOT MEAN A LED TO B...how much clearer do we have to make this for you????

You say millions pop Tums like they are candy and you wonder how many have thyroid nodules from this practice....I'll tell you right now how many NONE OF THEM DO the two aren't causally related...

If I eat jelly beans every day and develop a thyroid nodule, did the jelly beans cause the thyroid nodule...according to your logic apparently so...

"Researchers haven't identified any direct links between calcium intake (via food or supplements) and soft tissue accumulation. "
Calcium beyond the bones - Harvard Health

"CONCLUSIONS:
When calcification is noted within a solitary thyroid nodule, the risk of malignancy is very high. Surgery should be recommended regardless of the result of fine-needle aspiration cytologic findings."
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12112538
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness