U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 07:14 AM

1 posts, read 43 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I had a tumor on my thyroid. The needle aspiration was the single-most painful experience I've ever had. I've had my tubes tied. I've had a lumpectomy. I've had surgery on bones to repair fractures. I had a thyroidectomy. I have migraines. I have scar tissue on the end of a fallopian tube, which bumps into a nerve once every month when I get my period, and BANGS the nerve for around 20 minutes in mind-numbingly painfully excruciating waves. I've had D&Cs four times a year for two years as a post-op to cervical cancer and removal of around 1/3 of my cervix.

I will never. Ever. Ever. Forget the pain of the aspiration. It was worse than any of the above. It's the kind of pain that I *would* wish on my worst enemy.
I also experienced severe pain during my biopsy. My biopsy included a 10 mm nodule on the right side of my thyroid and a lymph node on the left side. I was given the local anesthetic, called lidocaine. He had to take several specimens from the nodule and it was so painful it brought tears to my eyes. There was a lot of pressure but thatís not what caused the pain. It was horrible. The procedure was supposed to be 20 minutes and turned out to be an hour and a half. When he was almost finished he decided to stop and give me an IV with some kind of pain reliever in it. I think it helped but I was still awake through the whole procedure and the rest of it went pretty quickly. I also consider myself to have a very high pain level threshold. I had two natural childbirths, And have undergone many tests with colon cancer. This was worse than any of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 01:18 PM

1,762 posts, read 858,068 times
Mine was painless, just wanted to mention that in case someone is scheduled to have one done and reads that it is painful.

Apparently it can be painful, but it isn't always painful.

Old Yesterday, 05:59 PM

8,668 posts, read 5,858,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I discovered the ignore feature....
I don't ignore the crappy advice, it's more fun to read the nonsense!

Even though I tend to pull out my remaining hair a some of the nonsensical posts

Old Yesterday, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post

I guess nodules are the reason for the fine needle biopsy. I had nodules years ago and nothing today. Do you consume a lot of calcium. A friend ended up with nodules which were calcium deposits from sucking on Tums for many years. No good advice from her MD.
A hyperactive thyroid can cause an increase in blood calcium levels.

No way in hell can calcium cause thyroid nodules.

Science is science!

Old Yesterday, 06:20 PM

21,547 posts, read 7,272,133 times
Mike: oh science is god and it keeps changing from all my years on this planet earth..and you can tell my friend about the tums she took for years and the nodules from that calcium. It would be kinda interesting to hear how many have developed nodules from years of popping tums like they are candy. But again, facts on this and that are all over the place.

Last edited by jaminhealth; Yesterday at 06:49 PM..

Old Yesterday, 11:50 PM

4,870 posts, read 10,780,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Mike: oh science is god and it keeps changing from all my years on this planet earth..and you can tell my friend about the tums she took for years and the nodules from that calcium. It would be kinda interesting to hear how many have developed nodules from years of popping tums like they are candy. But again, facts on this and that are all over the place.
No the "facts are not all over the place" regarding Tums and thyroid nodules....

There is NO repeat NO association between the two.....

Because you wish to ascribe causal relationships where there are none does not equate to "facts being all over the place" it simply means you don't know what you are talking about....

Old Today, 12:54 PM

I think it's time to go back to original topic for those FACING a FNA of thyroid nodule, not left field reasons of cause of the nodule issues
Attached Thumbnails
For Those Facing a Fine-Needle Aspiration of a Thyroid Nodule-everything.png  

Old Today, 04:43 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,704,881 times
I've stated numerous times before - I've had, as I recall, 4? aspirations - it's NO BIG DEAL (and it's not caused by using Tums - if some have had problems/pain I would think it's the skill of the person doing it (like any medical "thing" whether it be removing a splinter or having a cavity filled, etc. - there are people who know what they are doing and those that don't)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness