U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2012, 02:10 PM

14,505 posts, read 11,481,746 times

Advertisements

Yes lighting and smells from new clothes, carpets, perfumes, DIY stores are bad with wood particle boards, all make me feel giddy and ill.. short shopping trips for me.... all these things cause illness for some.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2012, 10:16 AM

28,765 posts, read 2,360,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkbeth View Post
I am sometimes (not too often) dizzy for many minutes at a time, going back since I broke my back and neck 4 years ago. Going up and down grocery aisles definitely aggravates the problem. Everything looks like it is washing downward before me and I can hardly see. Walking down the sidewalk can have the same effect. So can driving,unfortunately. I recently got into a small accident because of this, because I was I was in a rush to go home (I lived just across the street) and didn't stop to rest long enough. Resting (lying down, eyes shut) definitely helps. Dizziness is a pain in the neck and can be dangerous. My doctor just gave me some exercises to do and I'd better do them!

You are not still driving, are you? Other people's lives are at stake when you drive with this condition.
I gave up driving for a year until I got better. I wasn't told to, I just knew I should. (Just saying...)

Old 10-03-2012, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyJeff View Post
To most of the people responding here and certainly the poster and NKBETH please look into dysautonomia. I have POTS a subtype I suppose of Dysautonomia and I plus many others I have communicated with in support groups suffer from these symptoms. Lights in stores can actually trigger tachycardia for me and some times threaten my ability to stay conscious. I suggest googling dysautonomia, Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia, and check out facebook for many groups sharing info about it like the Dysautonomia Connection. MVP diagnosis these days often means dysauto instead.
Thank you for this post. I did look up dysautonomia and found it very interesting and helpful.

Old 12-03-2012, 10:18 AM

4 posts, read 10,059 times
I was surprised when I found this thread. I thought I was the only one experiencing weird symptoms inside a mall or big box stores. I have been experiencing this light headed/dizzy for lack of a better term when walking in a mall or stores like home depot/costco and it gets very uneasy that I want to come out as soon as possible. I am a 44 year old physically fit healthy male doing activities 5 days a week . I noticed that people have mentioned fluorescent light as a possible cause but I doubt that since I do martial arts over 2 hours at a stretch regularly in a community center enclosed space with light but never felt uneasy and I also skate every week for about 3 hours under artificial lighting indoors which does not seem to affect me. Doing any outdoor activity does not affect me either. I did explain it to my doctor and after all the tests he could not find anything wrong with me. I'm still looking for answers to my mall/big box store syndrome .

Old 12-03-2012, 10:58 AM

2,535 posts, read 4,498,439 times
I haven't read all the responses, but I would almost put money on it that you are experiencing anxiety when you walk into a store. These symptoms can be part of a larger phobia that if left unchecked can develop into agoraphobia. I experienced this during a time of stress and it did develop into agoraphobia for me. I got to where these episodes happened not only in stores but every time I left the house.

Famous southern cook, Paula Deen, also had agoraphobia. Hearing about her struggles grocery shopping (she would only shop at the front of the store because she couldn't walk all the way to the back without panicking) was very inspiring to me. From Phobia to Fame: A Southern Cook’s Memoir - New York Times

I would suggest seeking counseling. You can also read this website: Anxiety, phobia, obsessive compulsive disorder help from Anxiety Care UK
There are tons of exercises that you can do at home to help with the anxiety. BTW, I am 100% from my agoraphobia! It is treatable, but many people don't get help.

Old 12-03-2012, 11:35 AM

2,342 posts, read 2,786,342 times
If it only happens in stores ( and not at home )
it might be the overwhelming and schocking sight
of the high prices today, and it makes you dizzy ! ! !

Old 12-03-2012, 11:43 AM

19,632 posts, read 53,495,108 times
Not all artificial light is the same. Malls and big stores by bulbs by the truckload and get the cheapest they can. Most flicker at a high rate that cannot be seen consciously but yet disturb our balance and can trigger migraines and seizures in some people.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 12-03-2012, 02:18 PM

26,346 posts, read 80,765,097 times
Switching gears completely here. Could it be a form of PTSD? Seriously? Someone I know was caught shoplifting (supermarket ) when he was a minor. Didn't get arrested but was released to his parents by the store manager. For the next several years he had a "phobia" about entering stores as if he was under suspicion or being watched.

May not have been shoplifting maybe being attacked or humiliated or injured or frightened in a past experience???

Old 12-04-2012, 10:44 AM

4 posts, read 10,059 times
From my limited observation so far I feel dizzy if I am waking between the Aisles with displays on both sides. I feel a little bit better when I try to look down at the ground. My theory is the brain has a tough time processing multiple inputs/comprehending too much information at a time. Anyone experience this?

Old 12-05-2012, 12:01 PM

[quote=pegotty;27189139]I haven't read all the responses quote]

pegotty - Perhaps you should.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness