U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2012, 12:05 PM

118,677 posts, read 13,636,894 times

Advertisements

When ever I enter a store like Winners, Costco and so on I get headaches and feel dizzy and want to throw up...I figured out it is those lights up on the ceiling.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2012, 03:57 PM

18,717 posts, read 4,702,479 times
I don't get dizzy but I do feel sleepy. I thought it had to do with flourescent lighting but am not sure.
Also in Walmart I always get "zapped" when reaching for items although I don't when at other stores..
(and I'm wearing the same shoes.."rubber" soles..??)

Old 12-05-2012, 04:01 PM

118,677 posts, read 13,636,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pekemom View Post
I don't get dizzy but I do feel sleepy. I thought it had to do with flourescent lighting but am not sure.
Also in Walmart I always get "zapped" when reaching for items although I don't when at other stores..
(and I'm wearing the same shoes.."rubber" soles..??)
Yes when I touch their shopping cart I get '' zapped'' too

Old 12-05-2012, 08:03 PM

525 posts, read 917,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcmd View Post
From my limited observation so far I feel dizzy if I am waking between the Aisles with displays on both sides. I feel a little bit better when I try to look down at the ground. My theory is the brain has a tough time processing multiple inputs/comprehending too much information at a time. Anyone experience this?
Yes I experience this, like there is just too mamy possiblities, combinations for my brain, information overload, etc. I wear sunglasses when I start to feel it and I look down a lot and I just keep going,pushing through it and it fades. It use to really get in the way of MY LIST for the grocery store, Home Depot etc. to the point a few times i would practically run home but I just nowpush[/b]through and focus on what I need to get from the store. If I do that then I am not putting too much energy into the 'feeling weird', if that makes any sense? I put more energy into WHY I am there and WHAT I am doing and try to totally block off the feeling, just keep pushing yourself through it.

I use to make myself become distracted to help push through I.e. talk on the phone, read text messages, look at a magazine resting on my cart, etc to keep my mind off the "weird feeling" now I do not really have to do that as much.

Old 12-06-2012, 07:25 AM

14,648 posts, read 29,685,966 times
I tend to only experience this in the larger "box" stores. A drugstore or small grocery like ALDI doesn't bother me, especially if there are large expanses of glass where I can see outside. I definitely feel "overload" in those big stores, between the lighting, the zillions of claustrophobic aisles, too many people, chemical smells, sounds, etc. The only big store that usually does NOT bother me much is the Super Target where I do some of my grocery shopping. For me, Walmart and Home Depot are the absolute worst.

Old 09-22-2013, 04:16 PM

1 posts, read 3,281 times
wow....i'm not losing the rest of my mind!!! for about four years i've had dizziness and weakness, clammy feelings and vomiting while shopping. once i had those symptoms at an outside craft show and while walking thru the bumpy field, i threw up...just a bit. two weeks ago i was at hobby lobby and got all those feelings and when i got to the car i actually did vomit. of course, i had just eaten , too. i noticed it first at walmart; started going to the checkouts on the other side of the store and it's better. if i go to the side that has subway...i'm in trouble.

while talking to a woman at a different store she told me she never feels good after she leaves walmart. we were both relieved to have found each other! we both thought it was lighting.

i do have some anxiety so that doesn't help. now that i know there alot of us out there i feel relieved. thanks everyone!

Old 09-29-2013, 09:18 AM

415 posts, read 593,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybean50 View Post
That's what i was going to say.

I have a slight version of this/panic attacks. The larger the store, the worse it is.

I do my shopping online, or someone does it for me. I take meds but they dont help 100%.

The things you describe are exactly what i feel like.
wow i kinda get this lately, big open area's can bring on anxiety attack where as my legs begin to feel weak and i even get dizzy as to where i want to hold on to somting .. smaller areas im fine, I get out of my car in a big parking lot it might hit me while heading to the store, I had it happen in a gymnasium once as well....Soo what to do ??

Old 09-29-2013, 09:35 AM

1 posts, read 3,326 times
Same here....this is daily for me since the last 3 years. Not just fluorescent lighting but almost any lighting causes these dizzy off balance disoriented uncoordinated feelings for me. Can you imagine. I cant even work because light is needed on all jobs. The only work left for me to do now is go get a driving Job where I don't encounter these feelings much. I Must mention too that I have Gen. Anxiety disorder, Mitral Valve Prolapse and Heart Palpitation...heart flip flops when walking up any incline or stairs and for no apparent reason at times too. I also have Calcification in the my Brain (a Large clump seen on Mri of my Brain). I was told this was normal but I feel this may have something to do with this dizzy off balance disoriented uncoordinated kind of condition. Anyone here has Calcification on their brain?? Such an unbelievable unexplainable unresolvable situation for all of us. Given my situation, how many of us are able to function if any at all in these kinds of situation.

Old 10-01-2013, 01:31 PM

7,129 posts, read 5,942,160 times
I had anxiety that I was convinced was a health problem such as a brain tumor end up being entirely manifested from my thoughts and mental state. Going into stores would make me shaky and a bit dizzy during this period. Once I took control of my thoughts I became essentially immune to this. The trick is believing you are relaxed and focusing on relaxation and the idea that nothing can hurt you, that there's no danger here. Most of the time people just let their thoughts run amok and control their behavior. They don't know how to take control... and even if they do know how, they don't actually 'believe it' ...

Not all of my symptoms however were in my head... I have been diagnosed as having a bicuspid aortic valve with 'moderate' regurgitation, and certain activities such as weight lifting bring on the symptoms, which originally started the anxiety in the first place. Thus I avoid weight lifting and accept I'll have to be a 'skinny' guy pretty much. Don't want that aortic root which as of now is only modestly larger than normal to get any bigger from blood pressure spikes. Even healthy people would be wise to not hold their breath while doing strenuous lifting since that will really raise blood pressure temporarily.

The main symptom of aortic regurgitation or a bicuspid valve, by the way, is a bounding pulse (you can feel your heart beating a lot of the time)

Old 10-04-2013, 08:36 AM

415 posts, read 593,178 times
Interesting /\ /\ As I to have had Hart issues as well, infact2 years ago i had a hart Ablation, Hmm..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness