U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2017, 09:27 PM

3,891 posts, read 6,277,168 times

Advertisements

I have the same thing. I believe it's the lighting. I almost always wear a baseball cap. (Brim forward ). If I forget a hat I really pay for it.
In stores that have skylights see if you feel any difference at night vs day or overcast vs sunny day. I feel much better on sunny days because there is more natural lighting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2017, 09:49 PM

1,681 posts, read 3,668,980 times
This would happen to my mother who then wore a heart monitor for a month because the doctor said it was nothing. Previous to her wearing the heart monitor for a month the doctor would put her on a heart monitor for a day and then two days and nothing...she ended up being diagnosed with heart disease (I'm not stating what kind), and eventually ended up with a pace maker. She would get light headed if she went anywhere. This is the worst case scenario, but if that happened to me I wouldn't be taking advice from people on the internet...I would be going to my doctor.

Old 08-26-2017, 03:18 PM

1 posts, read 523 times
OK, I came here because I am so tired of not knowing what causes this insidious effect on me when I walk into a big box store; Lowes is one I frequent but it happens in many. The higher the ceiling and the more dingy the flourescnt lighting the worse I get. I don't think about it and certainly don't feel anything until I am in for about 10-15 minutes. Then it hits me - I feel little dizzy and out of sorts which , in me anyway, brings a lot of anxiety. Best way to describe it would be mild vertigo. I usually try to get what I need and get out; although I would enjoy hanging around and shopping more but just feel I got to GET OUT! PS- I am 64M and this has happened to me for the last several years. Otherwise healthy with no other conditions. I dont get headaches like Laura707.

Old 08-27-2017, 01:43 AM

18,740 posts, read 4,801,477 times
Don't actually get dizzy, but do feel sleepy....I think it's the fluorescent lighting.

Old 01-29-2019, 08:11 AM

1,492 posts, read 899,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Agoraphobia.
Every individual case here is different.. but generally speaking I agree, it's a degree/form of agoraphobia. Agoraphobia literally translates from Greek (Agora= marketplace). Fear of marketplaces is a long established affliction. The symptoms are varying & subjective.. but essentially everyone here is in consensus: that symptoms happen in a public marketplace. I believe forms of lighting & scents can all be triggering. But it's the experience of public marketplaces underwriting the bad experiences..

Old 01-29-2019, 10:09 AM

6,149 posts, read 3,812,622 times
Yeah, I'm not so sure.

It was happening to me a lot for a while but I only really noticed it at night. I'd walk into a store and suddenly get dizzy. The worst was when I went into a supermarket and instead of arranging shelving rows front to back they had laid out shelves diagonally. And for some reason they'd painted the ceiling black and that made it even worse. Extreme disorientation.

It hasn't happened in a few years but I avoid brightly-lit stores at night now anyway. I have some damage to a balance nerve and I'm afraid of falling.

Old 01-29-2019, 11:23 AM

3,861 posts, read 1,381,699 times
Lights, hormone-disrupting air "fresheners" plugged into walls, off-gassing from all of the plastics and polyesther clothing (plastic), etc., etc.

Sensitivities to chemical exposure, basically.

Old 01-29-2019, 05:28 PM

1,492 posts, read 899,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Lights, hormone-disrupting air "fresheners" plugged into walls, off-gassing from all of the plastics and polyesther clothing (plastic), etc., etc.

Sensitivities to chemical exposure, basically.
NB, To determine that it's chemical sensitivity.. we'd need to document varying degrees of chemicals in specific stores, then compare them to the varying degrees of shopper discomfort. Also need to distinguish the difference between grocery & box stores vs fast food places (which also have all kinds of florescent bulbs & are saturated w/ scented cleaning chemicals). I'm not hearing posters in here saying they are as uncomfortable in fast food places or classrooms, which have gross smells, harsh lighting etc ? (Tho I do believe extra-sensitized nerves are influenced by the elements u mention.)
Just my take, there is something uniquely agoraphobic about grocery & big box shopping. Also the complaint of heightened anxiety in check out lines is consistent with agoraphobia/nervous illness.. why would the waiting experience become harder to cope with due (fundamentally) to lighting (?)
I'm curious about that check-out line distinction. Peace

Old 01-29-2019, 05:45 PM

6,037 posts, read 3,402,184 times
It’s the “Sale” signs.. I get giddy and dizzy!

Old 01-31-2019, 10:59 AM

2,963 posts, read 782,458 times
It's a common sign of anxiety. Do you have social anxiety, general anxiety or does shopping give you anxiety?

Store lights are a well-known trigger in the anxiety community. Google around and you'll see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness