Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 01:32 AM

4,794 posts, read 12,372,574 times

Advertisements

I have had this going back 6 or 7 years. I notice a slight dizziness or lack of balance when I walk into a store, like a grocery store. I will really notice it when I start walking down aisles in a store or walking in a mall. There is almost a fogginess, for lack of a better term, along with it. It usually passes or at least decreases when I am outside but it has been increasing in frequency over the years. I have tried researching this but have found nothing on it.
Anyone ever heard of this bizarre symptom?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2011, 03:43 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,844,907 times
Possibly the fluorescent lighting, especially those that flicker??? Are you healthy in general??? Asking because such lighting can possibly trigger a migraine or even seizures if you are prone to them.

Did you speak with your MD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
I have had this going back 6 or 7 years. I notice a slight dizziness or lack of balance when I walk into a store, like a grocery store. I will really notice it when I start walking down aisles in a store or walking in a mall. There is almost a fogginess, for lack of a better term, along with it. It usually passes or at least decreases when I am outside but it has been increasing in frequency over the years. I have tried researching this but have found nothing on it.

Old 04-16-2011, 09:41 AM

2,178 posts, read 9,576,090 times
greatblueheron, you beat me to it! I have MAV and this is my WORSE symptom, the sensitivity to lights... It is like a complete system system overload... It is far worse if the lighting is especially bright and the floors are waxed and the lighting bounces off the floor too.

kanhawk, look up "Migraine Associated Vertigo" on the internet and see if ANY of those symptoms fit you.. When this first started with me, I was not having migraines, in fact, I hadn't had headaches in years, hadn't had a migraine in over 40 years.. If you have migraines headaches in your past at anytime, you CAN have MAV. The "name" is very misleading because if involves far more than migraine headaches and vertigo.

I wear a baseball cap and dark glasses when I know I am going out where there is going to be bright lights.. LOL! People stare at a old lady in a baseball cap in dark glasses inside but I don't care.. I stumble, stagger and bump into walls when it is bad and I have to limit my time in those stores or I end of having to leave my buggy and run for the door into natural lighting.

Also, being thrown in complete darkness also shuts my system out of wack, I loose 2 of my main systems.. my eye sight and inner ear that are used for balance (I also have a inner ear problem) so to much light is my enemy and darkness is my enemy.

Study up on MAV, if this is what you have, you will eventually have more and more symptoms show up. I have had symptoms that went back 5 years that I can connect to this and mine just got bad last July and continued to get worse until December when I had a bunch a tests that finally pinpointed what it was and we are now still working on finding the right treatment that works for me. My sensitivity to light didn't show up until the end of October last year and that seems to be getting worse and worse.. Even being on the computer is hard on my eyes.

Good Luck and let me warn you, finding answers are not easy!

Old 04-16-2011, 11:11 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,533,504 times
Quote:
Are you male or female?
Did this start when you reached your 40's?

Old 04-16-2011, 11:14 AM

1,549 posts, read 4,256,348 times
I don't find this to be too unusual. It's probably the reason I hate going into Home Depot and Lowes. Those stores make me rather light headed and it's probably a combination of the lighting and all the products they sell there with scents i.e. lumber, flowers, pesticides and whatnot.

When I leave the store, I am ok.

Old 04-16-2011, 11:18 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,533,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyKLO View Post
I don't find this to be too unusual. It's probably the reason I hate going into Home Depot and Lowes. Those stores make me rather light headed and it's probably a combination of the lighting and all the products they sell there with scents i.e. lumber, flowers, pesticides and whatnot.

When I leave the store, I am ok.
The scents are my thinking too. I never had allergies until my 40's. There are days it hits me as soon as I walk in; even if I don't smell anything; then there are days I can walk almost the whole store until I get by towels/bedding or other isles with scents.

I've wondered if the air filters were dirty. Some stores; the heat blasts you in the face as you walk in.

Old 04-16-2011, 11:53 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,124,373 times
Quote:
My husband and I both experience these symptoms. We have determined that it is the florescent lighting that does it. The bulbs flicker at a very high speed and you cannot detect it with the naked eye, but it does affect you.

There have been times when I have felt so ill that I have had to leave because I thought I was going to throw up. Very often I will have to visit the ladies room with a "bad tummy" when I am in stores that have this kind of lighting. Many people have this symptom as well, but just assume it is something they ate.

20yrsinBranson

Old 04-16-2011, 11:56 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,675,618 times
Default I often get

ENT allergies when going into those cheap rock bottom discount stores in the tackier areas of NY City because the stores themselves have allergens and some of the products they sell (like belts) are dusty. but really, it's hard to avoid going into these stores because the prices are so cheap!!

Old 04-16-2011, 01:02 PM

9,289 posts, read 14,894,337 times
Have you considered agoraphobia ?

Old 04-16-2011, 02:55 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,863,876 times
This is really interesting. I have the same problem with slight vertigo in stores and it started the same time I started getting migraines, after I had my first child and had problems with the anesthesia. I thought the vertigo was more of a panic attack symptom and never thought of mentioning it to my doctor, since it doesn't occur with the migraines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness