U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2011, 04:06 PM

15,636 posts, read 14,689,267 times

Advertisements

I was just diagnosed with this and the doc told me that I will need to have surgery.

Is anyone familiar with this and/or has anyone had the surgery?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2011, 12:28 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,743,097 times
Yes, I had a benign parathyroid tumor removed 20 years ago in a totally routine operation with no complications. There has been no recurrence since and my blood calcium levels have stabilized to a normal level that has not changed appreciably over that time period.

I know radioactivity concerns are all over the news right now, but this type of procedure to excise your tumor may interest you:

Illustrated Guide to Minimally Invasive Parathyroid Surgery (the MIRP Procedure) for Parathyroid Problems: 25 minutes and go home.

Old 04-19-2011, 02:50 PM

15,636 posts, read 14,689,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecypher5413 View Post
Yes, I had a benign parathyroid tumor removed 20 years ago in a totally routine operation with no complications. There has been no recurrence since and my blood calcium levels have stabilized to a normal level that has not changed appreciably over that time period.

I know radioactivity concerns are all over the news right now, but this type of procedure to excise your tumor may interest you:

Illustrated Guide to Minimally Invasive Parathyroid Surgery (the MIRP Procedure) for Parathyroid Problems: 25 minutes and go home.
Thank you for the info and the link. No one has mentioned a tumor but I have not met with the surgeon yet.

Old 04-19-2011, 05:28 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,743,097 times
Sorry if I freaked you out with my incorrect assumption! I fixated on the word "surgery" in your OP.

Good luck to you in your talk with your surgeon.

Old 04-19-2011, 05:34 PM

6,482 posts, read 5,967,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecypher5413 View Post

You need a hospital with a SPECT/CT gamma camera to really take full advantage of this technique, but any regularly equipped Nuclear Medicine Department can do this. The hospital also needs a peri-operative probe to locate the tumor. One thing not mentioned is the possibility of ectopic parathyroid adenoma; it can be as far away from the neck as the patient's chest, so make sure they do two chest views (early and delayed) as well as the neck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or