U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2011, 12:02 AM

247 posts, read 428,435 times

Advertisements

I wasn't quite sure where to put this so I thought I'd just post this in the general Health & Wellness forum.

About 1-2 months ago I started getting a sharp pain in my left breast. It lasted about 5 minutes long. It also stung, similar to how it feels whenever you clean out a cut. After that one time I didn't have anything else happen until a week later. A week later it happened to my right breast as well and still lasted anywhere from 2-5 minutes long. Now its an everyday, multiple times a day thing. I went to my family doctor because that was who could see me the fastest. She did a breast exam, finding no lumps. She suggested bloodwork testing my hormones be done, so that will be happening within the next couple of days. I have had weird hormone levels in the past but haven't had them tested since I was 15 [I'm 18 now]. Also when the pain happens, it seems to be less intense during the week of my period, which my doctor found interesting. Anyways, the reason why I am really concerned about this is because of my family history. I do know that breast cancer is extremely rare at my age but on my mothers side of the family, everyone has had & died from cancer, going back as far as my greatx3 grandparents, greatx3 uncles/aunts, cousins, and whatnot. A lot of them had different types of cancer but my mothers sister [1st aunt] had breast cancer when she was in her 20's, and then had another type of cancer in her 50's when she died. I'm trying to think positive because I do realize its rare and I don't want to stress myself out any more than necessary.

It'd be great if anyone had a similar experience they could share or any advice would be appreciated!

God Bless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2011, 01:16 AM

12,480 posts, read 14,371,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkayx333 View Post
I wasn't quite sure where to put this so I thought I'd just post this in the general Health & Wellness forum.

About 1-2 months ago I started getting a sharp pain in my left breast. It lasted about 5 minutes long. It also stung, similar to how it feels whenever you clean out a cut. After that one time I didn't have anything else happen until a week later. A week later it happened to my right breast as well and still lasted anywhere from 2-5 minutes long. Now its an everyday, multiple times a day thing. I went to my family doctor because that was who could see me the fastest. She did a breast exam, finding no lumps. She suggested bloodwork testing my hormones be done, so that will be happening within the next couple of days. I have had weird hormone levels in the past but haven't had them tested since I was 15 [I'm 18 now]. Also when the pain happens, it seems to be less intense during the week of my period, which my doctor found interesting. Anyways, the reason why I am really concerned about this is because of my family history. I do know that breast cancer is extremely rare at my age but on my mothers side of the family, everyone has had & died from cancer, going back as far as my greatx3 grandparents, greatx3 uncles/aunts, cousins, and whatnot. A lot of them had different types of cancer but my mothers sister [1st aunt] had breast cancer when she was in her 20's, and then had another type of cancer in her 50's when she died. I'm trying to think positive because I do realize its rare and I don't want to stress myself out any more than necessary.

It'd be great if anyone had a similar experience they could share or any advice would be appreciated!

God Bless.

you saw your doctor so now just relax and wait for test results. Don't go borrowing trouble and automatically "assuming" the worst. I don't know what the pain is but I DO know from friends who have or have had breast cancer that they felt NO pain prior to diagnosis--none. Pain can sometimes be a good thing. Now relax and let the doc figure it out.
I think it's a BIG,HUGE stretch to even go to the thought of breast cancer.

Old 04-19-2011, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
you saw your doctor so now just relax and wait for test results. Don't go borrowing trouble and automatically "assuming" the worst. I don't know what the pain is but I DO know from friends who have or have had breast cancer that they felt NO pain prior to diagnosis--none. Pain can sometimes be a good thing. Now relax and let the doc figure it out.
I think it's a BIG,HUGE stretch to even go to the thought of breast cancer.

Thanks a lot...you're right. I need to relax. I'll just wait for the results & keep an eye out for changes. She told me to keep an eye out for skin changes or nipple discharge. Not sure why though.

Old 04-19-2011, 05:24 AM

1,289 posts, read 2,582,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkayx333 View Post
Thanks a lot...you're right. I need to relax. I'll just wait for the results & keep an eye out for changes. She told me to keep an eye out for skin changes or nipple discharge. Not sure why though.
because those usually signal cancer.

That being said, cancer usually isn't painful so I wouldn't worry about it too much until after you hear from the doctor.

Old 04-19-2011, 08:10 AM

13,258 posts, read 34,623,814 times
I get those pains once in awhile. They usually turn out to be just little tiny cysts under the muscle tissue that pop and dissolve. I'm not "cystic" (I have a relative who is, she gets cysts all the time), but breast cancer is in my family so I'm usually pretty good about self-exams and what not.

Tumors don't usually hurt unless they're pressing on a nerve. I really wouldn't worry too much about this; it's probably just a cyst.

Old 04-19-2011, 08:52 AM

10,860 posts, read 18,892,348 times
You're not pregnant, are you? Those pains are pretty common early in a pregnancy. I had them before I ever had a positive test.

Old 04-19-2011, 10:04 AM

Thanks everyone!

Old 04-19-2011, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
You're not pregnant, are you? Those pains are pretty common early in a pregnancy. I had them before I ever had a positive test.

Nope, never have been pregnant before either. My doctor had said something about a blocked milk duct or something too but I don't know how that could happen seeing as that I'm not pregnant, or have ever been. I'm not even sexually active.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness