U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 04:52 PM

9,454 posts, read 15,020,411 times

Advertisements

I found something that helps with my posraisis--thought I'd pass it on--

its called Balg Balm

its used by farmers for cows udders, to keep them from cracking, drying out, etc. You can buy it in 20 gal drums in feed & grain stores, but that's a lot for just personal use.

You can also buy it in 10 oz tins, for personal use, I think at Walgreens, or I just ordered it online, was less than $10.

Its a soothing salve, not sticky, and it really has helped. I have psoraisis on my feet, put some on last night with some old socks, woke up today with much improvement.
BTW, I take just about everything for psoraisis, including Enbrel, methotrexarte, and prednisone. all that keeps it form getting worse, but those stubborn spots on my feet and ankles just don't seem to clear up. This Bag Balm has given me relief, lets hope it continues!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2011, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
I found something that helps with my posraisis--thought I'd pass it on--

its called Balg Balm

its used by farmers for cows udders, to keep them from cracking, drying out, etc. You can buy it in 20 gal drums in feed & grain stores, but that's a lot for just personal use.

You can also buy it in 10 oz tins, for personal use, I think at Walgreens, or I just ordered it online, was less than $10.

Its a soothing salve, not sticky, and it really has helped. I have psoraisis on my feet, put some on last night with some old socks, woke up today with much improvement.
BTW, I take just about everything for psoraisis, including Enbrel, methotrexarte, and prednisone. all that keeps it form getting worse, but those stubborn spots on my feet and ankles just don't seem to clear up. This Bag Balm has given me relief, lets hope it continues!
OOPS!

Sorry, typo---its BAG BALM the brand is Vermont

Old 04-20-2011, 08:51 AM

15 posts, read 40,570 times
Sounds interesting. I have had psoriasis most of my life and am using a prescription cream called Dovabet with great success.

Old 04-21-2011, 10:50 AM

There's tons of home remedies out there, whatever works!

I found the Bag Balm has some sort of anti-inflamatory ingredient, some sort of sulpher. Its given me relief so the skin isn't so irritated, it can start to grow back, instead of constantly flaking off.

I might just buy some at the local feed and grain store---much cheaper! but, problem is, it quickly becomes 'contaminated' best as you can, debris gets in it, it gets gross Also, like all remedies, it works for awhile then loses its effectiveness.

Another thing I found that helps---goat's milk soap! I found some at a health food store, its about $5 for one bar, just keep it out of the shower, don't let it melt down the drain, it lasts several weeks if you're careful with it.

Old 04-21-2011, 02:27 PM

13,258 posts, read 34,623,814 times
Bag Balm is one of those hidden treasures that some people swear by, while others have never heard of it. Only caveat: don't buy it if you're allergic to lanolin. Bag Balm's primary ingredients are petroleum jelly and lanolin.

As far as I know, the only people who have -not- benefited from using it, are people allergic to lanolin (if you're allergic to sheeps' wool, you might be allergic to lanolin, which is the fatty substance secreted by sheep onto the wool).

Old 04-21-2011, 03:33 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,996,626 times
Another product that works great is Resinol. I had terrible psoraisis as a teen and that cleared me up within days. We use it for any type of skin allergy or rash and it works wonders. It's pink, stinky and gloppy but we still call it the magic ointment.

Old 04-21-2011, 06:03 PM

8,798 posts, read 9,623,537 times
I have read about a treatment for similar skin conditions that uses a crushed B12 vitamin added to a moisturizer of your choice . I personally think its the Niacin in the B12, but I use the B complex along with Aloe for skin conditions.

Old 04-21-2011, 07:45 PM

13,258 posts, read 34,623,814 times
B12 doesn't have niacin in it. Niacin, however, is also known as vitamin B3.
Vitamin B *complex* is more than just B12, but if you're crushing B12 into moisturizer, you're not getting any niacin.

Old 04-22-2011, 04:34 AM

8,798 posts, read 9,623,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
B12 doesn't have niacin in it. Niacin, however, is also known as vitamin B3.
Vitamin B *complex* is more than just B12, but if you're crushing B12 into moisturizer, you're not getting any niacin.
Yes I am probably using a B complex with every thing in it. I know that a Niacin deficiency can cause dermatitis. There was a book published on Natural healing many years ago(30-40 years ago) where I read this.

Old 04-22-2011, 12:43 PM

13,884 posts, read 13,552,692 times
There must be different degress of psoriasis. My uncle has tried everything and nothing has worked for him. This is a college student's story about his severe case of it: My Turn: Psoriasis can quickly take away comfort, and confidence - latimes.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness