U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 07:48 PM

67 posts, read 112,712 times

Advertisements

I know a lot of people get them. You know when you feel your heart thump out of nowhere. But i seem to be getting them a lot lately, like every 10 minutes should i worry about this, i am 29 but i have no idea if this is serious. Iam not one of these types that go down the doc every 2 weeks because of a runny nose. I only see the doc if ive broken a bone or something like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 07:53 PM

4,551 posts, read 9,315,000 times
I usually get them when I am having panic attacks which can be quite often at times. It makes me more nervous although I'm pretty used to them since I have had them for over 30 ears and my mother has them

Old 04-25-2011, 07:55 PM

7,326 posts, read 11,463,663 times
You probably should see a doctor, but one possibility could be a recent change in diet. Heart palpitations can be caused by either too much or too little potassium. Many years back, I got on a kick of drinking a lot of coffee with a creamer with dipotassium phosphate in it and started getting a lot of heart flutters. I stopped using the creamer, (still drank the coffee) and the palpitations went away.

Old 04-25-2011, 07:57 PM

10,452 posts, read 9,508,393 times
I was getting those all the time a few weeks ago so I started doing meridian stretching. The founder of this system repaired all his organ systems from an auto accident by doing stretching, which is how he developed it. The heart stretch has pretty much stretched out my palpitations. I'm getting a physical on Thursday and I'll mention it just in case but I don't think it's anything too serious. I know this seems far out but it seems to work. I'll let you know what my doc says on Thursday. Though I should mention, get it checked out if you have any history of heart disease in your family or if you have an anxiety disorder or drink lots of coffee/don't exercise/anything that could put you at risk for heart disease. I have a long history of severe anxiety which is part of the reason I'm getting mine checked out.

Old 04-25-2011, 09:10 PM

665 posts, read 1,399,968 times
PVC or premature ventricular contraction.

caffeine and alcohol as well as athletic activity, sweating etc. causes a loss of magnesium, potasium and sodium as well as taurine and arginine.

Check it out

Common Irregular Heartbeats are Completely Normalized by Taurine and Arginine (http://www.naturalnews.com/026380_taurine_zinc_cancer.html - broken link)

you really should get your heart checked though

PVCs are very common and a doctor will probably tell you that it's from stress and will NOT give you advice about deficiencies that cause this affliction.

Old 04-26-2011, 06:18 PM

55 posts, read 114,213 times
i've dealt with this for over 20 years.i was 15 years old back in 1990 getting ready to lie down for sleep for school when i had my first ever palpitations.i was scared i was having a heart attack.my dad rushed me to ER where they initially thought i might have mitral valve prolapse and then i was referred to another hospital where i was told they couldn't find anything wrong after multiple tests.it went away for six or seven years until around 1997 then they came back a lot and i was diagnosed with anxiety attacks.i bet i went to ER about thirty times in a ten year period.evertime they said panic attack.i dealt with this for a few years before i finally had heart tests done in 2004 and everything was alright but cholesterol was sort of high.i was given script for lipitor and i did my research and threw that crap in the garbage and found out online that fish oil and magnesium helped with cholesterol.imagine my surprise when the magnesium and fish oil not only helped my cholesterol but it almost totally knocked out my palpitations.in the last five years instead of getting them all the time i get 'em a couple times a year.google is your friend.

Old 04-27-2011, 02:52 PM

14,810 posts, read 12,760,186 times
I've had these kinds of palpitations off and on for the past 25 years. They started when I was 50. One thing I eventually narrowed it down to was ibuprophen which I then eliminated from all OTC medications I take. Oddly enough, my DIL, who is 39, has the same reaction to ibuprophen. You might take note of how much caffeine, sugar, alcohol you consume, as well as medications. As others have stated, palpitations can have multiple and diverse causes and, for the most part, they are not dangerous--just annoying.

Old 04-27-2011, 06:00 PM

67 posts, read 112,712 times
Thanks for the advice people i will take it on board.

Old 04-27-2011, 07:15 PM

222 posts, read 334,638 times
When I was 35, I noticed my heart beating differently. I ignored it. I don't go to the doctor unless I'm bleeding out my eyes. Then one day I felt like I was getting symptoms of a heart attack. I went to an immediate care place. They checked me out and told me to go directly to the hospital. Didn't have a heart attack, but fast forward a bit - I ended up going to a cardiologist and it was determined I had Mitral Valve Prolapse.

I initially took some medicine so I wouldn't notice the heart beating differently. I eventually gave that up as the medicine seemed to be making me tired. The doctor said my condition (MVP) wouldn't take any years off my life and I could still do anything I wanted. He said I should avoid caffeine.

In my research about MVP, I read that you need to take antibiotics (Amoxicillin) before going to the dentist for any procedure, including a regular cleaning, because bacteria could get into your blood and go to your heart which could be serious.

But about two years ago, my dental hygienist told me that MVP was taken off the list of needing antibiotics and she said to check with my doctor about it. I told her I would rather be on the safe side and I just continue taking the antibiotic (four pills) an hour before a dentist appointment.

(Cliff's - There are different kinds/causes of heart palpitations. Be on the safe side and get it checked out.)

Old 04-27-2011, 08:57 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,877,009 times
I am 27 and have been getting those also. I might try fish oil, my dad has SVT and loves those fish oil pills, along with his prescription medication, they help his heart beat stronger. But I had 3 EKGs and they are all normal. If it keeps up, my doctor said they could fit me with a 30 day monitor to log any strange patterns. Good luck, they are completely unpleasant in any situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness