Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2011, 02:31 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,839,154 times

Advertisements

Woe is me.... I am becoming my grandmother after all.

Anyone have good tips for easing bunion pain?? (no surgery). I have the gel inserts you put between the great toe and #2 toe...but hoping someone has had luck with a night-time brace for a bit of corrective action on the great toe or any other suggestions. I have moved on to shoes with more roomy toe boxes...but still I have pain at night.

How do you deal with this annoying and painful problem???
Thanks for any tips~

gbh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2011, 06:17 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,763,721 times
Spacers between big and 2nd toe are the usual solution for night-time pain, also if you wear slippers around the house, get a pair that you can cut a hole in the tops so your toes are exposed, or get sandal-slippers (NOT flipflops!) like low-heeled mules.

There are lots of surgical options these days, depending on how bad the bunion is. Some of them don't even require general anasthesia and can be done as a one-hour out-patient procedure with local while you're awake. Some allow for a mild twilight that you -can- stay awake for, but usually drift off to sleep around 10 minutes into the procedure and wake up groggy, but able to move around.

Full recovery from surgery takes awhile, between six weeks and as long as six months. But there are rarely complications from the surgery, and if you follow the advice given, take the absolute minimum pain meds possible, do any physical therapy required as often as required, and wear whatever protective devices they tell you to wear, you could be up and about in short order.

So you'd be able to move around, but you'd have to be careful and it'll hurt. No marathons til you're completely recovered, but a trip to the supermarket within a few weeks without having to use a store's scooter is possible, in other words.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness