U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2011, 11:52 AM

42,668 posts, read 71,523,609 times

Advertisements

Suddenly, I don't need sleep anymore. I'm 72---is this just one of the things that goes with getting old?

All my life, I've been able to go to sleep quickly anywhere, and sleep soundly all night. Now, in the past few weeks, I can't make myself get sleepy enough, I stay up till 3 am, can't get to sleep, and I'm up a few hours later. I often get sleepy during the day, but I wake after an hour's nap, and go on. Maybe 2-3 hours of sleep a day, tops.

I have no "issues" that keep me awake. No stresses or uncertainties in life, no dark thoughts keeping me awake, no physical discomforts that make me toss and turn. I don't drink coffee, maybe a cola every other day, no drugs or alcohol or tobacco. No lifestyle or activity changes. I just don't seem to need any sleep anymore.

Apparently, though, I still need dream time. My dreams are more regular, and if I doze off, I often start to dream even before I'm asleep, and I'm aware that I'm awake and dreaming.

Does anybody know anything about this?
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2011, 05:39 PM

5,115 posts, read 9,411,192 times
Strange...maybe try some magnesium and some Sleepytime tea before bed to see if that does the trick...are you getting enough sunlight and exercise. No, this is not normal if it's a big departure from your usual sleep pattern and bears more investigation...

Old 05-01-2011, 06:08 PM

32,538 posts, read 29,319,241 times
Are you sure you're only sleeping for an hour during the day? My guess is you get all comfy in a chair and doze off and the hours you nap are more than you think.

A lot of older people do this then can't figure out why they can't sleep at night. (My dad was a napper who denied he slept more than an hour during the day. He lived with us and I could see him snoozing on the patio. Busted! The good news is he was the senior who was totally up on Saturday Night Live and Austin City Limits.)

Old 05-01-2011, 06:56 PM

665 posts, read 1,476,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Are you sure you're only sleeping for an hour during the day? My guess is you get all comfy in a chair and doze off and the hours you nap are more than you think.

A lot of older people do this then can't figure out why they can't sleep at night. (My dad was a napper who denied he slept more than an hour during the day. He lived with us and I could see him snoozing on the patio. Busted! The good news is he was the senior who was totally up on Saturday Night Live and Austin City Limits.)
this is what I thought too

Whatever it takes though. I wish i could sleep during the day.

Old 05-01-2011, 08:55 PM

17,281 posts, read 3,528,493 times
Funny DewDrop! My beloved grandmother did the same thing....nod off during the day, then roam the house at night and fuss about how she couldn't sleep! Although older folks do need less shut-eye...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post

Old 05-01-2011, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Funny DewDrop! My beloved grandmother did the same thing....nod off during the day, then roam the house at night and fuss about how she couldn't sleep! Although older folks do need less shut-eye...
ALL ages NEED 8 hours !

Old 05-03-2011, 10:06 PM

9,457 posts, read 16,404,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laidbackhippie View Post
ALL ages NEED 8 hours !
Not to be a know-it-all, but I just read an article that said that the optimal amount of sleep is 7 hours and that between 6-8 hours is best but over 8 hours is associated with a cognitive decline. I was surprised b/c I assumed that you can't get too much sleep unless you're depressed or something. I'd urge the OP to see a doc about this b/c it could signal something more troubling and I'm thinking I read somewhere that a sudden inability to sleep or sleeping too much might signal a problem. I'd have it checked out just to be on the safe side.

Less-Than-Optimal Sleep May 'Age' the Brain | Caring.com

Old 05-04-2011, 07:55 AM

This article explains how the fluoride in municiple water supply and your toothpaste may be causing lack of sleep by blocking the sleep hormone melatonin.

http://www.naturalnews.com/026364_fl...nd_sodium.html

Old 05-04-2011, 02:38 PM

4,618 posts, read 10,494,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laidbackhippie View Post
ALL ages NEED 8 hours !
Not true....

Some ages need significantly more than 8 hrs, some less...

It also varies by individual.

There is no hard and fast rule for how much sleep ALL humans need..

Old 05-04-2011, 04:13 PM

2,455 posts, read 5,262,979 times
Since I haven't hit 72 yet, I can't be sure if this "sudden" turn of events is normal or not. What is normal for one is not for another, so throwing the normal word around doesn't describe the "norm" for each of us.

If this is really bothering you, and you swear you are only napping an hour or so, I would go to your doctor for a check up. Tell you what. The next time you think you are about to dose, set your alarm clock for say, 3 hours from the present time. If the alarm clock goes off while you are still napping, you will know you are sleeping for more then only one hour. Could that be workable for you so that you know one way or another for sure how long you really are sleeping for? Then, maybe a doctor visit won't be necessary after all, for you are really sleeping more during the day, and that is why you are having trouble sleeping at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness