U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2011, 09:29 AM

9,596 posts, read 17,698,995 times

Advertisements

Its been over 2 yrs since i last had a severe bout of vertigo & it took 1 month to fully recover. Its back again & i got it a few days ago & it went away for a day & now its back. From 3 pm yesterday till 3 am this morning it was pure hell. The dizzyness was like a constant tidlewave coming & going & if someone was to break into my home i would be helpless. I didnt throw up this time but i did come close. My dzzyness is coming back now. What can i do to stop or prevent this ?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vertigo_(medical)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2011, 09:43 AM

523 posts, read 3,278,920 times
the treatment of vertigo depends on the underlying cause, and you won't know that unless you have a proper medical assessment.

for what its worth, the two commonest causes are benign paroxysmal positional vertigo, and viral labyrinthitis due to a mild viral infection - there are medications which can help both, and both are usually self limiting.

there are some much rarer more serious causes, particularly if you auditory symptoms, such as ringing in your ear, or hearing loss - and for this reason you should definitely be assessed by an appropriately qualified professional.

Old 05-05-2011, 11:49 AM

19,631 posts, read 53,468,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kronenborg View Post
the treatment of vertigo depends on the underlying cause, and you won't know that unless you have a proper medical assessment.

for what its worth, the two commonest causes are benign paroxysmal positional vertigo, and viral labyrinthitis due to a mild viral infection - there are medications which can help both, and both are usually self limiting.

there are some much rarer more serious causes, particularly if you auditory symptoms, such as ringing in your ear, or hearing loss - and for this reason you should definitely be assessed by an appropriately qualified professional.
can't add anything to what was already said!

Old 05-05-2011, 04:25 PM

2,185 posts, read 3,888,771 times
I had it so bad once, I stayed home from work for 5 months! I had to crawl on the floor to get around, sleep sitting up because laying down made it much worse and my BF had to hold me up in the shower so I wouldn't fall over. There are many meds they can give, but the best one is a low dose valium. It takes the edge off and relaxes you.

Old 05-07-2011, 10:40 AM

1,078 posts, read 2,208,088 times
I had vertigo terrible after moving to my husbands hometown at the top of the Rockies. I'm a flatlander born and raised so just the elevation difference caused it. It took me at least two years before I was able to go hiking, hunting or horseback riding up in the hills. It's terrible

Old 05-07-2011, 01:54 PM

12,620 posts, read 17,684,974 times
Could be fluid behind your ears causing it or a sinus infection?

Old 05-07-2011, 08:29 PM

21,416 posts, read 29,529,737 times
A low salt diet can help.

Old 05-08-2011, 05:55 PM

9,596 posts, read 17,698,995 times
My doctor gave me a RX for Meclizine HCL 25MG tab (4xs a day) & it seems to be working. I had my ears cleaned out at the va hospital week before last & the lady who did the ear cleaning really went to town on my ears. Im better now but vertigo i would only wish on my enemies & some politicians, etc.

Old 09-08-2013, 02:40 AM

1 posts, read 2,257 times
Hi
I have just been diagnosed with Vertigo for the very first time at 56 years old and now i am on day 5 and still suffering.
My prescription is 5mg Prochlorperazine tablets 3 times a day which did work fone for the first 2 day's but now it seem i am getting giddy all over again.
It wqas supposed to be my holiday next week and there is no way i can drive for 2 hours straight feeling this way.
Does anyone have any idea how long this dizzy spells last.
thank's
Ray Newport,South Wales,Uk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness