Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 07:07 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,470,570 times

Advertisements

Thanks guys, I went ahead an made an appt. To the person who mentioned ER docs not catching stuff. The doctor only glanced at my foot, didn't ask me anything other than how it happened and that was all I saw of him, so I really think a second opinion is probably a good idea. It just doesn't feel right. ya know? I would expect a bit of pain, but this feels like my foot will give out any second.

If anything, I'll know if its something more or just a really bad sprain and I can at least get into to see a PT and find out how to heal it faster and better.
And thanks for the hug!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2011, 07:12 PM

2,455 posts, read 6,665,174 times
You are welcome for that hug. Sounds like you needed one! Take care of yourself and don't stop asking questions and pushing until you get real solid answers AND help!! Ya gotta be your own advocate these days and education is a MUST! Be safe, and get well!!! (((HUGS)))

Old 05-05-2011, 07:19 PM

665 posts, read 1,728,027 times
in the meantime ............. stay off it !

Old 05-05-2011, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laidbackhippie View Post
in the meantime ............. stay off it !
Ditto! LISTEN to your body! It will NEVER steer you wrong!

Old 05-05-2011, 09:12 PM

Saucy, for you....

Old 05-06-2011, 05:14 AM

5,644 posts, read 13,225,081 times
Quote:
If the OP broke her/his ankle instead of sprained it then puting weight on it will make it worse and not better.

If it were a true sprain the swelling would have gone down in three or four days.

My guess (from personal experience) is that the E.R. "doctor" was in a rush or didn't read the x-rays right or just didn't know his job.

I think it's a good idea to go to doctor and get a second opinion. And stay away from overworked and understaffed E.R. "doctors".
1. The OP already stated xrays were taken and it WASN'T fractured

2. Swelling from an ankle sprain often takes WEEKS not days to resolve

3. Your comments on the ER doc are uninformed and unnecessary

4. My experience comes from TREATING ankle sprains on a daily basis for over 20 years, not a single isolated personal experience

Old 05-06-2011, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garden of Eden View Post
Ditto! LISTEN to your body! It will NEVER steer you wrong!
Bad advice

Study after study has shown the key to early recovery from ankle sprains is early weightbearing

Old 05-06-2011, 05:59 AM

665 posts, read 1,728,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
1. The OP already stated xrays were taken and it WASN'T fractured

2. Swelling from an ankle sprain often takes WEEKS not days to resolve

3. Your comments on the ER doc are uninformed and unnecessary

4. My experience comes from TREATING ankle sprains on a daily basis for over 20 years, not a single isolated personal experience
#1 the injury was misdiagnosed (common)

#2 swelling yes, pain no (unless it is broke)

#3 My comments (and I) are VERY informed.

Moderator cut: rude
PS..
I have been treating sprained and broken ankles since 1975.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 05-06-2011 at 11:14 AM..

Old 05-06-2011, 06:24 AM

523 posts, read 3,804,964 times
if this is a sprain, then weight bearing after around 48-72 hours would be the right thing to do and would speed recovery

if this is a sprain, then it is entirely possible to have residual swelling for several weeks (although one would expect swelling to be starting to improve after a few days) - the pain can last for many weeks, and there can be some residual permanent ankle instability.

it is also entirely possible an initial fracture was missed, or was not apparent on the initial x-ray, either a hairline fracture of a small avulsion fracture. for this reason, if symptoms remain very severe, particularly swelling, and an inability to weight bear for more than a few steps after a few days, a repeat physician consultation and probably repeat x-ray would be sensible.

but dont take my word for it - feel free to access the multitude of information online on this subject, for example: Sprained Ankle - Your Orthopaedic Connection - AAOS

Old 05-06-2011, 07:18 AM

Quote:
#1 the injury was misdiagnosed (common)

#2 swelling yes, pain no (unless it is broke)

#3 My comments (and I) are VERY informed.

PS..
I have been treating sprained and broken ankles since 1975.
1. NO Evidence that the initial diagnosis was wrong, if there was no fracture seen on xray then it is a sprain

2. Swelling and pain go hand in hand with an ankle sprain and depending on the degree of sprain both can be severe and last for weeks

4. I'm not pretending.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 05-06-2011 at 11:16 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness