Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 12:28 PM

2,455 posts, read 6,665,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
A couple of months ago I noticed I had peach fuzz growing on the sides of my face. Don't think I would shave it though. Wouldn't that make it worse GoE?
Oops, just saw this. So far, Glory, just peach fuzz, and there is one other woman on this thread, and I apologize for not remembering your name, who says the peach fuzz will not turn into black hair. Thank God! So go ahead and shave away....LOL......Who would have ever believed that a woman would some day shave her face?

Update: NMS, I am so indebted to you for starting this thread. It has brought me not only luck, but a sense of being in a group of women who care.

I called one other Endocrinologist in the area, and I got a message to leave my name and number, which I did, explaining I am having much trouble right now. The doctor, not a receptionist called me back, and in speaking with her, I have decided to cancel the ENT appt, and go with this doctor. I have an appt. with her on Tuesday at 5:15, and believe her to be taking me afterhours. I am on my way of getting to the bottom of all this.

HUGS to all of you who brought me luck! I am so grateful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2011, 01:07 PM

1,318 posts, read 5,271,693 times
Ive heard "Threading" is great for facial hair. Anyone done that?

Greenchili

Old 05-19-2011, 04:30 PM

2,455 posts, read 6,665,527 times
No, I haven't. What is it, Greenchili?

Old 05-19-2011, 05:17 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
I believe it started in Domenica and is done in Domenican salons. It involves rolling thread over the hair to gently pull it out. I have seen posts in various cities where someone is looking to find a salon. Not sure if the thread is braided or what

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 05-20-2011 at 02:33 PM..

Old 05-19-2011, 06:08 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,260,249 times
I've seen one of those places in our local mall. It's caught my interest, but not enough to look into it.

Old 05-19-2011, 07:45 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,565,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth56 View Post
I'm 58 now and post-menopause, but peri-menopause started for me when I was 38. I had an enormous amount of stress during a 10 year period of time, abusive marriage and divorce, caring for dying mother, 2 year legal battle, single mother, lay-off from job, etc. which I believe all started the process. But anyway, it began with heavy, painful periods every 2 weeks or so. Then flooding and anemia, mood changes, and hot flashes. This lasted about 2 years, then my periods began to taper off and came every other month or so and were much lighter. After 5 years, at age 43, they suddenly stopped completely. Woohoo!

The doctors wanted to put me on HRT, but it wasn't for me personally. So I went to a Doctor of Chinese Medicine who prescribed Black Cohosh (Remifemin). It's over-the-counter medicine now. Worked great for me. No more hot flashes and big mood swings. I weaned myself off of it 5 years later and have had no symptoms since. I never had any thyroid problems.

To nomoresnow: I can so relate to the problem of not finding the right words. Thank goodness my husband understands my problem so well that he can finish my sentences for me. lol

We have some good laughs about my words. I have my own language.
I can so relate to your post!! I was in my late 30's as well when the whole process started. I have been post menopausal for 7 1/2 yrs. I didn't take HRT. My memory sometimes is not good! I sometimes cannot think of the word I am looking for! Did you gain weight though? I have put on around 35 pounds! I am having a terrible time in getting rid of the extra weight.

Old 05-19-2011, 07:51 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,565,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
I'm so lucky! Since I went off the premarin I have almost NO extra body hair! I only have to shave my legs maybe twice in the summer, (and never in the cold months) and that's it. Underarm hair, once every two or three weeks. It's AWESOME!

The biggest down side is the lack of skin tone. I went off the premarin and now my skin sags, it's awful. I eat right (most of the time) and am very active, but my skin has just lost it's elasticity.

Funny story I have a friend (we've been friends for 40 years) who just turned 51 and is in peri-menopause. She is obsessed about her weight, but does not have a small build, so she looks haggard most of the time, because she feels the need to weigh 130 pounds, when she should weigh 140 at the least.

Last time we hiked together she was moaning about cellulite. I looked her over very carefully and said in astonishment, there is not a speck of cellulite on your body. She held up her arm and pointed to some loose skin. I said that is loss of elasticity, not cellulite. Short of estrogen therapy or skin tucks, there is nothing you can do about it .

I then said slyly..well if you put on about 5 pounds your arms might fill out a little so the loose skin wouldn't be as obvious.
Oh wow! Now I am starting to feel normal again! I rarelyhave to shave my arm pits or legs now too. I am post menopausal. Unfortunately the hair on my head is less too!

Old 05-20-2011, 06:55 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flkingfan View Post
So you don't have to be on HRT, right?
You don't have to do anything you don't want to do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
Your doctor is wrong. What you need is a daily shot of whiskey.
Got that right. I hear red wine is good for you.

Old 05-20-2011, 07:19 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,389,075 times
Good thread ladies.

I am 44. I have been on the generic for synthroid since I was 29. I have terrible experiences with the "real" Synthroid.

I also take oral contraception. Does anyone know how that may changes things? Did you continue or go off oral contraception?

Old 05-20-2011, 07:55 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,028,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
I believe it started in Domenica and is done in Domenican salons. It involves rolling thread over the hair to gently pull it out. I have seen posts in various cities where someone is looking to find a salon. Not sure if the thread is braided or what

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Actually, the original technique was done centuries ago in Persia(Iran). It's been used extensively in the middle east and India ever since.

I've never had it done but I have seen it done. The thread is used to grip the hair like tweezers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness