Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2010, 03:41 PM

106 posts, read 287,431 times

Advertisements

Anyone have success eradicating heartburn symptoms completely?

After switching to a more whole, nutrient dense foods diet, I developed a moderate case of annoying heartburn that is sorta "on again off again" now for the last few months. Some days it's hardly even there, and others it's much more prominent.

Doc says to take the purple pill (Nexium specifically). But my research has lead me down a different path, since taking those proton pump inhibitors never actually cures heartburn... just makes you completely reliant on using the ppi's long term.

Gut flora definitely plays a huge role, and altering diet as much as I did back in August can definitely be a catalyst for 'throwing off the groove' of gut flora. Also, it seems that H. pylori is pretty involved, and is quite tough to beat. That's a 'bacterial infection' (sort of) that inhabits itself in the stomach mucus lining and is rather difficult to expel. H.p. is said to irritate the esophagus, thereby allowing stomach acid to creep up a bit, causing 'heartburn'.

There's more to it than that... and actually it's quite amazingly complex and I don't fully understand it yet. It's a shame too, as I feel amazing otherwise. I am totally in shape, have loads of energy and clarity of mind, and I'm gaining significant muscle every week.

I recently came upon the testimonies of people using active manuka honey to combat an H. pylori infection. Many people have had success, so I ordered 16+ rating and await it's arrival in the mail.

Anyone have thoughts/comments/ideas about any of this?

Thanks,
Jack K.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2010, 06:34 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,798,569 times
Only a small portion of GERD sufferers have H. pylori and it is easily diagnosed by either a stool sample or a biopsy. I don't believe anything but antibiotics will cure it. I took 4 different kinds, 4 times/day, for 2 weeks. After 1 week, I woke up feeling much better (but I finished the pills).

I have also had GERD for many years, only to find out via one of the CT with contrast scans I had that I had a "loose" end of the esophagus where liquids could pool. That was fixed surgically.

There was considerable difference between the symptoms and pain I had when I had H. pylori.

On a side note, it was discovered by an Australian doctor back in the ?70s? and the American doctors took quite a long time to believe that most ulcers are caused by it. It doesn't normally cause GERD, it causes stomach ulcers.

Old 12-14-2010, 06:54 PM

5,325 posts, read 6,011,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Kronk View Post
Anyone have success eradicating heartburn symptoms completely?

After switching to a more whole, nutrient dense foods diet, I developed a moderate case of annoying heartburn that is sorta "on again off again" now for the last few months. Some days it's hardly even there, and others it's much more prominent.

Doc says to take the purple pill (Nexium specifically). But my research has lead me down a different path, since taking those proton pump inhibitors never actually cures heartburn... just makes you completely reliant on using the ppi's long term.

Gut flora definitely plays a huge role, and altering diet as much as I did back in August can definitely be a catalyst for 'throwing off the groove' of gut flora. Also, it seems that H. pylori is pretty involved, and is quite tough to beat. That's a 'bacterial infection' (sort of) that inhabits itself in the stomach mucus lining and is rather difficult to expel. H.p. is said to irritate the esophagus, thereby allowing stomach acid to creep up a bit, causing 'heartburn'.

There's more to it than that... and actually it's quite amazingly complex and I don't fully understand it yet. It's a shame too, as I feel amazing otherwise. I am totally in shape, have loads of energy and clarity of mind, and I'm gaining significant muscle every week.

I recently came upon the testimonies of people using active manuka honey to combat an H. pylori infection. Many people have had success, so I ordered 16+ rating and await it's arrival in the mail.

Anyone have thoughts/comments/ideas about any of this?

Thanks,
Jack K.
Do you have an H. pylori infection? In the U.S., the majority of people having GERD don't have an H. pylori infection. It appears that H. pylori is sensitive to manuka honey in the "petrie dish", but has not yet been shown to be clinically effective. My opinion is that persons diagnosed as having an H. pylori infection should suck it up and take the antibiotics as H. pylori can cause stomach cancer. OTOH, if you are merely having "heartburn", I see no harm in trying the honey.

Last edited by lenora; 12-14-2010 at 07:22 PM.. Reason: H. pylori infection is sometimes treated with as little as one day of therapy.

Old 12-17-2010, 11:58 AM

I haven't actually been tested yet for an H.pylori infection. It has been recommended to me to take the Urea Breathe test to determine. But I did receive my active manuka honey yesterday. Much of the research I've seen on it confirms that the anti-bacterial properties in 16+ manuka honey is quite strong, and in some ways even more effective than an anti-biotic. I ate a spoonful of it yesterday and it was incredibly delicious, which I didn't really expect based on some of the comments I had read. At this point, I'm just very hopeful that it will help me as it has apparently helped others already.

Old 01-03-2011, 02:42 PM

ok so i wanted to give an update on my status. i have been eating the active manuka honey now for over 2 weeks, daily. i haven't been very consistent as far as exactly how much i'm eating, and i don't really have a schedule, because i don't carry it with me and the container is sitting in my cupboard, so i just eat a teaspoonful (sometimes a half teaspoon) whenever i remember to (usually 2-3 times per day).

the report: a significant improvement in symptoms. i still have felt the occassional heartburn sensation, but it's been extremely light, and as soon as I take a spoon of the honey, it subsides. i'm still trying to figure it out, and i've read that it may take up to 2 months of daily use before everything is back to normal. it is my understanding that the activity in the honey does 3 things to combat heartburn.

1. it physically 'coats' the esophagus, providing immediate relief. (i think this sounds nice, but i don't take it for this reason) i think #2 and #3 are more important.

2. it controls the overgrowth of H.pylori by killing most of it. the antibacterial properties are said to be stronger than antibiotics.

3. it promotes healthy gut flora by stimulating growth of positive bacteria, thereby acting as an effective 'probiotic'. this is believed to be key in fighting heartburn and especially H.pylori.

I'm not advocating that I am 100% correct and accurate here. This is just what I have found up to this point. Take it as "FWIW" please, but at least it seems to be really helping me and I like that it's a nutrient packed, whole food (and very tasty) alternative to silly drugs.

Old 02-14-2011, 05:58 PM

1,266 posts, read 3,222,242 times
Thank you, JK, for posting this very interesting thread on something I'd never heard of. (I did a search about "heartburn" and found it.) My usual remedies for the occasional heartburn I suffer are chewing a stick of gum, eating an apple, and then drinking a glass of water -- always seems to work for me.

Like every lazy web surfer, I looked up "manuka honey" on Wikipedia and wanted to know if you are aware of this section:

The UMF or unique manuka factor is a rating system that measures the non-hydrogen peroxide antibacterial potency of manuka honey. The system has a range from 0 to 30 but typical manuka honey has a rating of 10 or more. Moderator cut: only 1-2 sentences can be quoted and a link
So my question is, what is the rating of your brand of manuka honey and where did you buy it? Thanks for any help, as I'm intrigued and would like to get some of this product.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 02-15-2011 at 09:01 AM..

Old 05-19-2011, 10:57 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,798,569 times
Very interesting news story tonight: Lesser-known kind of honey can help kill superbugs - ksl.com

Old 05-25-2011, 03:11 PM

Hmm. Nice find SB. I have used 2 different brands.

Wedderspoons 16+

Y.S. Organic Bee Farms 15+

They taste completely different from each other, but both have a sort of medicinal twang to them.

The Wedderspoons is definitely sweeter, but neither are unpleasant at all.

I don't take it much anymore, as my heartburn is virtually gone now.

Last edited by Jack Kronk; 05-25-2011 at 03:22 PM.. Reason: formatting
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness