U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 02:52 PM

3,276 posts, read 10,372,785 times

Advertisements

Forgive me if this is the wrong thread (not sure if it should be in here or 'Food & Drink').

So, I'm horrible with drinking water. I always knew that I never got enough, was probably dehydrated, but just couldn't get myself to drink an adequate amount. Normally I'd drink maybe 16-20oz a day, if I remembered, but sometimes less if I forgot. It's actually fairly common for me to be complaining that I'm tired or don't feel well for a few hours, only to "realize" that I'm just thirsty.

A few weeks ago I decided I should probably change, and with the help of a new water bottle I've upped my intake to about 60oz per day (turns out I love bite valves). However, I'm not sure I like it! I'm constantly going to the bathroom (at least every 2 hours during the day) and feel more thirsty than I used to. Is this normal? I can deal with the thirst thing, but having to run to the bathroom all the time is really cutting into my schedule, and is especially becoming a problem during appointments/meetings. More than once I've just barely made it home from work and my commute is only about 30 minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 03:57 PM

2 posts, read 5,462 times
it's fine.... when you drink more water, you go to the bathroom more. If you really don't like drinking so much water, you should try having a couple glasses of green tea per day. It has a a lot of antioxidants and helps speed up your metabolism. Extremely healthy.

Old 06-21-2011, 04:57 PM

594 posts, read 1,138,785 times
If you are going every 2 hours, then you are drinking to much water.

Old 06-21-2011, 05:10 PM

13,258 posts, read 34,623,814 times
Agreed with infiri - but also you aren't mentioning what ELSE you are drinking. Are you drinking coffee, tea, any other caffeinated beverages? Are you taking diuretics for any reason, or taking medications that have diuretic side effects?

You also might be depleting your potassium levels with so much water. If there is some reason why you feel you need to drink SO much of it, then eat a banana every day too. You don't "need" to drink a gallon of water every day, and jumping from 16 to 60 ounces daily is extreme.

How about, cutting back to oh, say - 32 ounces daily (twice the minimum you usually drink)?

Old 06-21-2011, 05:35 PM

14,131 posts, read 26,259,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juniperbleu View Post
A few weeks ago I decided I should probably change, and with the help of a new water bottle I've upped my intake to about 60oz per day (turns out I love bite valves). However, I'm not sure I like it! I'm constantly going to the bathroom (at least every 2 hours during the day) and feel more thirsty than I used to. Is this normal? I can deal with the thirst thing, but having to run to the bathroom all the time is really cutting into my schedule, and is especially becoming a problem during appointments/meetings. More than once I've just barely made it home from work and my commute is only about 30 minutes.
You might want to get checked for diabetes. Frequent thirst and urination is a symptom.

Old 06-22-2011, 06:34 AM

15,616 posts, read 9,162,577 times
For women under the age of 65, the recommendation is to drink 6-8 cups of fluid a day (or half your body weight in ounces - so a 120lb woman will drink 60oz). It sounds like your goal of 60oz a day is a good one.

It's also perfectly acceptable (even expected) to have to urinate 4-7 times a day. It sounds like you're within that range. You did make a big jump, though, so you might have an easier time of it and less urgency if you increase your intake slowly. Also remember that other fluids count toward your goal. That includes other beverages, watery fruits and veggies, and more.

You're also right to pay attention to your thirst. You used to be oblivious to your thirst/dry mouth and now you're hyper-aware. That should ease. If it doesn't, and your thirst and fluid intake continue to increase without abating your thirst, then diabetes could be a concern. From what you've said here so far it really doesn't sound that way, though.

Question: How long before bed do you stop drinking for the night and do you have to get up during the night to pee?

Old 06-22-2011, 06:50 AM

594 posts, read 1,138,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
For women under the age of 65, the recommendation is to drink 6-8 cups of fluid a day (or half your body weight in ounces - so a 120lb woman will drink 60oz). It sounds like your goal of 60oz a day is a good one.

It's also perfectly acceptable (even expected) to have to urinate 4-7 times a day. It sounds like you're within that range. You did make a big jump, though, so you might have an easier time of it and less urgency if you increase your intake slowly. Also remember that other fluids count toward your goal. That includes other beverages, watery fruits and veggies, and more.

You're also right to pay attention to your thirst. You used to be oblivious to your thirst/dry mouth and now you're hyper-aware. That should ease. If it doesn't, and your thirst and fluid intake continue to increase without abating your thirst, then diabetes could be a concern. From what you've said here so far it really doesn't sound that way, though.

Question: How long before bed do you stop drinking for the night and do you have to get up during the night to pee?
7 times is really? that is acceptable??
I would fire an employee for taking to much breaks, (just kidding).

7 times would be polyuria, if it is more then 2.5 litters, then it would be polyuria, and 7 times a day, is my guess it would be more then 2.5 litters.

Old 06-22-2011, 01:16 PM

5,119 posts, read 12,725,202 times
The food you eat contains water, too....and that counts toward your daily intake. If you're not thirsty, you are probably drinking enough liquid...doesn't really matter if it's pure water or not...any liquid will hydrate you.

Old 06-22-2011, 01:33 PM

13,258 posts, read 34,623,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
The food you eat contains water, too....and that counts toward your daily intake. If you're not thirsty, you are probably drinking enough liquid...doesn't really matter if it's pure water or not...any liquid will hydrate you.
"ANY" liquid will hydrate?" That is incorrect. Alcohol will dehydrate, as will caffeinated beverages. Oils, which are liquid, contain no water at all and will not provide any hydration.

Also, not everyone has a perfect thirst drive. Before I started drinking water instead of other things, I used to drink one cup of coffee in the morning, and enough water to swallow my thyroid medicine at night before bedtime (a few sips), and that's all I would drink all day long. My legs were very dry looking and chapped, as were my hands. But I wasn't ever thirsty and saw no reason to drink water, let alone anything else. Obviously, that was going to lead to nothing good. And fortunately, I got wise and started at least -trying- to drink another glass of water every day, even if I wasn't thirsty.

Then I discovered that I liked spring water, AND that I didn't really like ice water. I ALSO discovered that if I'm stuck drinking tap water at restaurants, it's not too bad when you squeeze a lemon wedge in it.

So I learned how to enjoy drinking water, for its own sake, and now drink at -least- a half litre every day, sometimes a full litre, and occasionally a bit more than that. Plus my usual morning cup of coffee. My body has also become accustomed to it, and I now have a more healthy thirst drive and feel real actual thirst for the first time in decades.

Old 06-22-2011, 02:48 PM

19,636 posts, read 53,511,196 times
I used to drink 6-7 diet sodas per day and maybe a small glass of juice or water. Then I started getting bad charley horses and got told I was dehydrated. So I quit cold turkey and went to water. Funny thing is my blood glucose improved and my weak split nails became steel talons that need at least bi-weekly cutting.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness