Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 03:34 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,304,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaijai View Post
"Just say no".
You will find (i say this from experience) that your cravings will subside once you totally get off of the sugar.
Eat a balanced diet with plenty of whole grains, lean protein, fresh vegetables and fresh fruit (but not too much fruit! ... just a bit and ideally, for optimal digestion, alone, ie; not with non-fruit foods).
You'll be surprised at how much better you will feel.
Just because you're not dealing with a weight issue does not mean that the sugar isn't doing harm to your body.
And if you're eating for emotional reasons, deal with your issues.
The idea of seeing a doctor for this is, imo, absurd.
Absurd, really? This person eats a dozen cookies in 5-10 minutes and three donuts, two Snickers bars and a few cookies all at one time and is then craving sugar in less than an hour? This is not just a craving, this is pathological. Most people would be sick if they ate like this. He/she owes it to him/herself to see why her body wants so many simple sugars. Most people wouldn't eat a dozen cookies in a couple of days, let alone in 5 minutes. This person needs to speak to a medical professional about this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2011, 03:47 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,788,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
Absurd, really? This person eats a dozen cookies in 5-10 minutes and three donuts, two Snickers bars and a few cookies all at one time and is then craving sugar in less than an hour? This is not just a craving, this is pathological. Most people would be sick if they ate like this. He/she owes it to him/herself to see why her body wants so many simple sugars. Most people wouldn't eat a dozen cookies in a couple of days, let alone in 5 minutes. This person needs to speak to a medical professional about this.
You have no idea how many people do this. Most people just don't go public with it. Sugar addiction is a huge problem in this country and getting to be in other countries as well, but it can be broken. You have to go cold turkey--you can't wean yourself off, b/c the minute you taste the sugar you're off again. 3 days and the worst will be over but don't make exceptions for anything.

It's possible though that it could be a medical condition--it seems that low thyroid can cause this, but if the OP is thin, that's probably not it. Also, the OP could be diabetic--one of the symptoms is effortless weight loss--sounds like a dream but it isn't.

Old 06-26-2011, 04:34 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,849,515 times
Quote:
Yes, to me it's absurd.
People run to the m.d. without first taking responsibility for their own health.
There are situations when an m.d. is needed.
But i think that people would, in general, be better off if they took responsibility for their bodies and health instead of constantly handing over their power to the medical establishment.
Help is always there when needed but, speaking generally, people have been conditioned to run to an m.d. for anything and everything and have know idea of how to tend to their own health requirements.
Perhaps the o.p. needs to first get off the sugar, finds out how to eat for health and gets proper exercise.
Then if she still feels the need for medical help, fine.

Old 06-26-2011, 05:09 PM

3,074 posts, read 4,723,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemon&lime View Post
Stop stocking your pantry with sweets and buy real food instead. Eat real meals based on real foods, you have to force yourself. I broke myself of the same exact addiction 15 years ago through using a diet plan called The Zone. You don't need a doctor, you need 3-6 months or even a year or more of disciplined eating. Once you learn to eat right sweets won't be a problem anymore.
Very good advice, especially since it has worked for 15 years. I am working on the same addiction. Chromium caps in the morning have helped take away the cravings - not remove them, but make the dragon into a lizard. I also use Truvia for sweetning since it is more natural. I don't like replacing sweets with chemicals. Not having it in the house is very helpful for me.
All of the above work for me, hope it works for you

Old 06-27-2011, 06:27 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,304,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawporri View Post
Very good advice, especially since it has worked for 15 years. I am working on the same addiction. Chromium caps in the morning have helped take away the cravings - not remove them, but make the dragon into a lizard. I also use Truvia for sweetning since it is more natural. I don't like replacing sweets with chemicals. Not having it in the house is very helpful for me.
All of the above work for me, hope it works for you
Chromium deficiency is the cause of sweets cravings in diabetics. Again, I think that the OP should at least see his/her doctor and get an opinion and possibly be tested for diabetes. If they don't have it, great. If they do, they need to know and they need to be treating it daily. Diabetes can kill if not treated properly. I know a 47 year old man who just died this past week because of complications of diabetes. It's a much more serious disease than a lot of people think.

Last edited by canudigit; 06-27-2011 at 07:08 AM..

Old 06-27-2011, 07:08 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Chromium deficiency is the cause of sweets cravings in diabetics. Again, I think that the OP should at least see his/her doctor and get an opinion and possibly be tested for diabetes. If they don't have it, great. If they do, they need to know and they need to be treating it daily. Diabetes does kill if not treated properly. I know a 47 year old man who just died this past week because of complications of diabetes. It's a much more serious disease than a lot of people think.
I agree. It is NOT ABSURD to see a doctor for a checkup. At the very least the OP can find out if he/she is in good health or not, and whether damage is being done to their body. I would get a good dental checkup, too. The findings alone might be a good motivator to stop the sweets. This is a vicious spiral and one that needs to be broken.

Again, if I can do it, ANYONE can. I eat very little sweets anymore, and don't really enjoy them when I do.

To the OP: - Ask yourself if you might be "self-medicating" with the sweets as a substitute for something missing in your life. In my case, the sweets eating was related to boredom/depression. It reached a pinnacle several years ago when I was living in a place I was not happy and had some problems at home. In my case I gained a LOT of weight. These days, things are a lot better, I learned to ditch the sweets, I work out a lot, am much thinner and I cook at home and eat healthy.

Good luck to you, we are here to help you!

Old 06-27-2011, 07:26 AM

7,115 posts, read 12,654,276 times
Sure, it's possible to tough it out and quit sweets cold-turkey--I've pretty much done that myself, but my concern is that the OP might have created an adrenal fatigue problem with constant sugar intake.

My sweet tooth never assumed such large proportions as theirs. Today my cravings are limited by sucking on a few hard candies, or some fresh strawberries or blueberries.

The OP may have created a medical problem through sugar consumption, so I do think it's a good idea to get evaluated. Constant spikes from sugar intake can be quite harmful to the body--and, as I and others have mentioned, constant sugar cravings can sometimes be attributed to a mineral or other dietary shortage.

And yes, sugar--or other comfort food over-indulgence can be due to emotional needs going unfulfilled, that's why I recommended counseling if the medical evaluation comes back clean.

Look at all the help smokers trying to quit can get--sugar addicts needs a helping hand sometimes, too. It's a complicated issue, yes?

Old 06-27-2011, 10:57 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,311,226 times
OP, if you need moral support in your battle, you might try Overeaters Anonymous. Not everyone in that program is overweight. Some are trying to stick to special diets for health reasons. OA doesn't tell you what to eat -- that's your doctor's job and your choice. They just recommend you have a sponsor (a person with experience in the program who will be your direct support system) and eat three balanced and planned meals a day -- unless your doctor orders otherwise (a lot of medical diets today apportion five small meals rather than three larger ones). OA is free, although they pass the basket for voluntary donations to defray the costs of putting on the meetings (most are held in low-rent places like church basements or hospital meeting rooms.) Anyone who has the issue of being in the clutches of food and not being able to control their consumption meets the definition of "addicted" in the 12-step program meaning of the word. It's surprising how many people are powerless over their food intake. OA means to address that.

Overeaters Anonymous - Welcome to Overeaters Anonymous
Overeaters Anonymous - Welcome to Overeaters Anonymous
http://www.oa.org/meetings/find-a-meeting-online.php (broken link)

Also, I concur with those who think you should be tested for diabetes, even if you have none of the physical symptoms. The testing can show if you are on the road, even if you are not there yet. And it's far easier to get control of your problem if you can address it BEFORE you become diabetic.

Best wishes to you.

Old 06-28-2011, 10:00 AM

262 posts, read 651,076 times
Thanks everyone SO much for your advice and input. I will definitely find ways to cut down on sweets. Yesterday wasn't too bad. I had only 12 oreo cookies and a half a pint of icecream. That's a pretty big accomplishment for me. Hopefully, today I will make it through the day with just a couple of cookies and lower it from then on. If I can manage withdrawing from sweets without any headaches or night sweats, then I guess there is no need to consult a doctor. Likewise, if I do suffer from severe withdraw, then I'll consult some type of medical professional as there may be an underlying issue.

Old 06-30-2011, 10:13 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beilua Rose View Post
Thanks everyone SO much for your advice and input. I will definitely find ways to cut down on sweets. Yesterday wasn't too bad. I had only 12 oreo cookies and a half a pint of icecream. That's a pretty big accomplishment for me. Hopefully, today I will make it through the day with just a couple of cookies and lower it from then on. If I can manage withdrawing from sweets without any headaches or night sweats, then I guess there is no need to consult a doctor. Likewise, if I do suffer from severe withdraw, then I'll consult some type of medical professional as there may be an underlying issue.
Congratulations on the cutting back! But I second the recommendations on seeing a doctor to make sure your blood sugar and thyroid levels are ok. If you're eating all those calories and aren't gaining weight you could have a hyperactive thyroid.

If everything checks out with the doctor, I recommend going cold turkey. Stock up on lean protein, whole gains, fruits and vegetables and moderate amounts of fat. You're going to need things that are slow to digest so that you don't get those highs and lows that you're probably enjoying right now.

Good luck with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness