U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 04:03 PM

1,437 posts, read 1,398,134 times
...and are apathetic about their health in the long term

Old 07-07-2011, 05:16 PM

6,598 posts, read 3,979,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onwardandupward View Post
But could this have anything to do with the peddling of junk food to children? Of course not, says the GOP, who is resisting even VOLUNTARY guidelines to limit the marketing of junk food to kids:

GOP sides with foes of bid to limit youth food ads
Eh, McDonald's, Burger King, etc. have been marketing to me since I was a kid years ago before this obesity epidemic.

It's probably more to do with kids not playing outside and running around but instead sitting and playing Nintendo.

Personally, during the time that Obama, Nancy Pelosi, and Harry Reid were all in power...I gained weight! Definitely a connection between Democrats and Obesity! I like science!

Old 07-07-2011, 05:18 PM

757 posts, read 486,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeinGlanzendMotorrad View Post
Parents can say no. Just because the ads are there doesn't mean mommy and daddy have to give in to little fattykins at every turn. Blame the parents, not the ads.
Agree 100%

Also no one is forcing them into fast food chains like McDonald's. The parents voluntarily take their children to these places.

Old 07-07-2011, 07:58 PM

44 posts, read 92,954 times
Agree that parents don't have to buy it, but I think it's important to SERIOUSLY consider the impact that advertising has on the choice. So much advertising is seriously misleading (i.e. all natural doesn't really mean all natural, multi grain doesn't = healthy, just more than one grain). We can't just make this about saying yes/no at the counter. These are REALLY different times from 30 years ago with every aspect of obesity. I'm going to get off of the couch that I am sitting on to type this note and go jog...

Old 07-07-2011, 08:11 PM

3,012 posts, read 1,336,503 times
It's also important to consider that processed fatty and sugary (corn syrup) laden foods are easier to cook - or heat-up as it may be - and cheap in comparison to fresh meat and vegetables. Whether you can't afford to feed a family of 4 with locally grown, hormon free meats, are just too busy to cook, only buy what you have a coupon for, or just love fast food, eating processed is just bad for you. This coupled with lack of exercise is a recipe for obesity.

You can't lay this at the feet of fast food advertising as they are simply trying to sell a product. If so, you should also blame the coupon circulars in your Sunday paper. Do you think most of the items you get coupons for are actually good for you?

Old 07-07-2011, 08:34 PM

1,158 posts, read 990,367 times
We are a food obsessed society. Not only is obesity on the rise to the detriment of our health but recent reports have eating disorders being steadily on the rise in all age groups, races and now affecting both sexes. The American Academy of Pediatrics has recommended standardized screening of kids for eating disorders.

Everyone is deluded by the thinking that thin is healthy, but anorexia nervosa has a low success rate even with treatment and is downright deadly.

Anorexia, Bulimia, Binge Eating Affect Older Generation Too - NYTimes.com

Old 07-07-2011, 09:03 PM

4,690 posts, read 1,873,041 times
Appomattox was the key to our public health problems. I blame it all on Marse Robert.

Quote:
Twelve states now have obesity rates above 30 percent: Alabama, Arkansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, and West Virginia.

Nine states, plus D.C., have childhood obesity rates greater than 20 percent: Arkansas, Georgia, Illinois, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Tennessee, Texas, and West Virginia.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:07 PM

3,474 posts, read 2,022,791 times
While I won't disagree that things such as fast food does indeed contribute to the US's obesity problem, other countries with much lessor obesity rates don't necessarily have an abundance of healthy food eaters; its more so that Americans see most of there daily excercise being walking from their door to the car, and maybe around a store for a bit coupled with eating way more then is necessary at each meal.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:10 PM

3,474 posts, read 2,022,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarian View Post
Appomattox was the key to our public health problems. I blame it all on Marse Robert.
Or Mr. Lincoln... all he had to say was adios & it would have saved everyone the trouble

Old 07-08-2011, 05:24 AM

1,000 posts, read 976,828 times
I wonder what health care costs due to weight-related issues will look like it 50 years. I also wonder if we are going to see a gradual decline in life expectancy as my generation (gen X) and the ones afterward get older. Added bonus: maybe we won't have to worry about fully funded social security in 50 years. Fewer and fewer people will be making it to retirement age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness