Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 08:49 PM

175 posts, read 844,391 times

Advertisements

My wife had a pacemaker put in 6/9/07. From right after the surgery, her arm is in intese pain when she moves it certain ways or holds it in certain position. This has not left and seems to be worse. She is limited in what she can do as she cannot put much strain on the arm. It pains between the elbow and shoulder. She cannot move her arm straign out even a matter of 2-3 inches as it causes intense pain. She had tried to move it some in an effort to exercise it but nothing works. She now uses tylonol to be able to sleep. What should we do? Our cardiololgist is 100 miles away and hard to get to. Is this something serious or will it eventually leave? Thanks for you help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2007, 12:10 AM

25,464 posts, read 13,521,272 times
Default arm pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikos View Post
My wife had a pacemaker put in 6/9/07. From right after the surgery, her arm is in intese pain when she moves it certain ways or holds it in certain position. This has not left and seems to be worse. She is limited in what she can do as she cannot put much strain on the arm. It pains between the elbow and shoulder. She cannot move her arm straign out even a matter of 2-3 inches as it causes intense pain. She had tried to move it some in an effort to exercise it but nothing works. She now uses tylonol to be able to sleep. What should we do? Our cardiololgist is 100 miles away and hard to get to. Is this something serious or will it eventually leave? Thanks for you help.
You may need to telephone her Dr. I had a Pacemaker 'implanted' a little over 3 yrs. ago. I was warned at that time to NOT raise my left. It takes time for the 'leads' from the Pacemaker to the heart to 'heal' at the site. she really should not be exercising that arm. Again, please contact her Dr. at least by telephone. she should have received instructions from someone at the hospital prior to her release and going home.

Some pain,, in my case, was normal. But I did follow orders and even when showering or just doing anything, I made sure that I kept my left arm lower than my heart and never straightened the arm out to the side or over my head. You might want to check adn see if there had been some type of written orders. I wish her good health. Please check w/Dr.

Or you may want to research on the internet for some info while you wait for other info from Dr.

Old 08-10-2007, 04:53 AM

175 posts, read 844,391 times
Thanks so much, Northwoods, for your comments. Yes, we received the instructions about not raising her arm, and my wife was very careful not to raise her arm. She did not sleep on that side and really watched carefully not to do anything that would harm it. Of course she now can't use it much at all. This pain was there after the surgury but has intensified and is worse now. I will call the doctor today.

Thanks for you good advise!

Nikos

Old 08-11-2007, 04:06 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,726,888 times
My Dad has been in the hospital for one month now. He had a pacemaker put in about 2 weeks ago. He had some discomfort for a day or two, but has no pain whatsoever now. His Physical therapist has been having him do excercies with weights with his arms and he has had no pain or problems at all.
Maybe just a trip to your local Dr could determine if it is necessary for the cardiologist visit. Good Luck!

Old 12-12-2008, 11:28 AM

1 posts, read 26,032 times
Default pacemaker

Nikos:
I was wondering if you had any more info on your wifes arm pain. My Mom just had her 2nd set of leads put in 4 months ago and has terrible pain when she drives or hold her arm down straight. Her doctor is not much help. She will see a neurologist in Feb but you never know what he will say. Sometimes it takes others experience to help more. My e-mail [EMAIL="princessraeannem@hotmail.com"]princessraeannem@hotmail.com[/EMAIL]

Old 12-13-2008, 09:05 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,926,006 times
Something must be "out of whack"--one of the leads infringing on a nerve---the pacemaker shouldn't cause any pain.

Old 01-18-2011, 11:48 AM

2 posts, read 46,137 times
I had a pacemaker put in on Nov 15th 2010. I did exactly what I was told with the instructions. I wore the harness they give me so that you don't raise your arm above your head at night and followed the exercizes they wanted me to do. I am having problems with my left arm mostly in between the elbo and shoulder, I do not have full use of my left arm. I am now experiencing some dizziness, but I have had dizziness in my past, before the pacemaker was put in. They could not find anything wrong with the dizziness in my past, test after test, lets face it, you start feeling like you are a nut, and you know you are not. So getting back to the story, I called my doctors office and tried to get into see my cardiologist and was told to call my regular Doctor. who told me to call my cardilogist.
That same evening I had a real bad dizzy spell and fell back on the bad arm talk about hurt. My fiance tool me to the walk in clinic, and the doctor asked why I didn't call my regular Doctor, then he also showed me a print out that the nurse from were I go see my Cardio Doctor had put in the computer, that the Doctor had wanted to see me. I thought excuse me. The not so funny thing is, (I called them, they did not call me or call me back) and they told me that they did not think they could get me in to see the Doctor, and that I should go to my regular Doctor. I told the Docter at he walk in clinic that no body, no body called me back to set anything up for me to go see my Cardio Doctor. He gave me a funny look like I was lieing to him, and the attending physician told me that I should see a behavioral Doctor. to try to work out my problems. I was not rude to this Doctor and could not figure out what his problem was. I felt that he was the one with the problem. I went thier for help and those were the words I got.
My fiance was in the room with me. He works at a spiecalty hospital and deals with people who have had brain injuries and are depressed everyday of there lives. He told this Doctor he did not think or see I was depressed or had a problem, that I was just frustrated from it all. The Doctor just looked at him in the same way he had looked at me, did not say a word back to him. Then the doctor gave me a percription for meds. to calm your nerves, and told me to call my regular Doctor. Now I am worried that I am seeing the wrong Doctor's. I feel like everyone thinks I am a nut. All I want is to know what or why I am having the probems with my left arm and the dizziness. I feel this is very unethical of any Doctor to treat people this way.
So if anyone of you have been lucky enough to find out what was the cause of the arm pain, could you please be kind and post it maybe it could be of some help me.
Thank You Lynn

Old 01-18-2011, 08:50 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,926,006 times
If this is a new pain after 4 years, call the doctor! Mayber there is someone closer to you that your cardiologist could recommend.
Hubby's had his pacemaker for 5 years now....there should NOT be arm pain!

Old 01-20-2011, 09:16 AM

2 posts, read 46,137 times
I had my pacemaker put in on Nov 15th 2010. Its been a little over 2 months now since it was put in. I cannot lift my arm past my shoulder, just bringing the arm up hurts and every once in a while I hear a crack or a snap, the rotation of my arm is bad also when you try to rotate it down low, it can be very painfull. I try to exercise it like they tell you in your paper work.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:20 AM

1 posts, read 22,816 times
I thought I was the only one with these symptoms. My cardiologist's comment was "I doubt seriously, that it's cardiac related". You're just to sensitive and over analyze things. Basically he was telling me I was having a panic attack.
I guess Heart treatment is still in the voodoo stage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness