U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 06:20 AM

213 posts, read 876,847 times

Advertisements

My 23 yr old son got burned on hand during the 4th. He should have gone to the DR'S but due to $$$ didnt.
Because its on the 'hand' it is considered a major burn. It is about 2" - 3" and blistered when it happened. Now a week later, we have been keeping it cleaned & covered. The blister has not popped yet. I have been told to pop it. Does anyone know if this is correct? I had always heard NOT to pop the blisters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2011, 06:31 AM

11,294 posts, read 17,082,031 times
It is generally not safe to pop a blister. It is also generally stupid to not go to a doctor if you have a 3rd degree burn on your hand. If he's very lucky, it will heal all by itself. If he isn't lucky, it will get infected, and possibly necrotize, and he'll lose his hand. It's likely the result will be somewhere inbetween; a mild infection that can be treated with antibiotics - which requires a doctor's prescription, which he'll have to get from a doctor, which means he'll have to suck it up and go to the doctor anyway.

If he had gone when he first got the burn, the cost would've been less than what it -could- end up being if it gets infected.

Old 07-11-2011, 09:59 AM

7,685 posts, read 8,994,143 times
I probably would pop it, but then I would regret it later because 1. It hurts a lot worse after you pop it and 2. It's much more likely to get infected after you do

Old 07-11-2011, 10:37 AM

3,629 posts, read 2,837,713 times
if you do not see a doctor and you should,please use neosporin on it,keep it clean and bandaged and please use a glove on that hand when handling things

Old 07-11-2011, 10:43 AM

28,114 posts, read 24,084,256 times
Try not to pop the blister. The fluid in there is sterile.

If it does pop on its own, it's really no big deal. Just keep it clean.

Old 07-11-2011, 10:58 AM

10,436 posts, read 10,173,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catchick30 View Post
My 23 yr old son got burned on hand during the 4th. He should have gone to the DR'S but due to $$$ didnt.
Because its on the 'hand' it is considered a major burn. It is about 2" - 3" and blistered when it happened. Now a week later, we have been keeping it cleaned & covered. The blister has not popped yet. I have been told to pop it. Does anyone know if this is correct? I had always heard NOT to pop the blisters.
What you are doing appears to be working. Do not pop the blister. It may take another one or two weeks to heal.

See here:

First Aid: Burns -- familydoctor.org

Old 07-11-2011, 05:50 PM

1,563 posts, read 2,078,148 times
Don't pop the blister. It will eventually pop and when it does it's a good idea to cut the skin away. If you have silvadene cream use it. If you don't, try to get some. It's a prescription cream that is a miracle worker on burns.

Your doing good. The tendency is to pop them but actually what the skin is doing is preparing itself in the protection of the fluid from the blister. It will know when to pop. Needless to say this is all done with sterile technique.

Old 07-12-2011, 09:13 AM

213 posts, read 876,847 times
Thanks all, He did decide to go to the local urgent care just "to ask advice", thankfully they were kind enough not to charge & to tell him DO NOT POP, keep doing what your doing,.... which was keeping it clean, wrapped & even though alot of what we read said no ointment - we had been putting neosporin on it. I was pretty sure we shouldnt pop it, as it is actually protecting the new skin underneath, but was not positive.
Fortunately (or unfortunately?) I know a little about 2nd and 3rd degree burns from my brother, who when we were younger, opened a hot radiator... Learned a couple of lessons on that actually! LOL

Old 07-17-2011, 03:45 PM

5,500 posts, read 6,665,418 times
Don't chastize the guy for not going to a doc because of cost concerns. Hey, those places aren't free.

Moderator cut: off topic, take it to Politics
BTW, they told her NOT to pop it (which was my advice) use ice, take naprosyn for pain and swelling, and prescribed a cream similar to OTC neosporin, keep a sterile dressing on it.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 07-17-2011 at 04:51 PM..

Old 07-17-2011, 09:09 PM

1,053 posts, read 1,183,434 times
I always pop blisters and pull off the dead skin. Then I apply Neosporin and a band-aid.

Disclaimer: The above mentioned suggestion is merely that, a suggestion. This poster does not guarantee the recommendation stated is the best course of action. Popping a blister could potentially create more problems than leaving it alone. This poster was crazy enough to remove a wart with fingernail clippers and constantly picks scabs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness