Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 03:19 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,022,030 times

Advertisements

Just wanted to give the outcome on my situation. My stone had started to pass but got lodged in my urethra and completely blocked it up. This resulted in a stay in the hospital for IV antibiotics and pain management. They had to give me lots and lots of painkiller just to cut the edge off the pain.

I ended up having laser lithroscopy. It was completely successful in removing the stone. I'll be out of work for a few weeks as they wait for my kidney to start working again. After a few weeks, they're going to find out if it healed or I have permenant kidney damage.

The pain after the removal was significant but nothing like the kidney stone itself. I have some decent spasms that's causing pain but it seems to be controlled pretty well with pain medication and that medicine they give for the spasms. Drinking lots and lots of water as that does seem to help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 01:57 PM

4,587 posts, read 4,215,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Just wanted to give the outcome on my situation. My stone had started to pass but got lodged in my urethra and completely blocked it up. This resulted in a stay in the hospital for IV antibiotics and pain management. They had to give me lots and lots of painkiller just to cut the edge off the pain.

I ended up having laser lithroscopy. It was completely successful in removing the stone. I'll be out of work for a few weeks as they wait for my kidney to start working again. After a few weeks, they're going to find out if it healed or I have permenant kidney damage.

The pain after the removal was significant but nothing like the kidney stone itself. I have some decent spasms that's causing pain but it seems to be controlled pretty well with pain medication and that medicine they give for the spasms. Drinking lots and lots of water as that does seem to help.

I am glad they were able to take care of the problem and you are feeling better. I shudder to think of all the pain you experienced. It's good that they didn't short change you on the pain meds in the hospital. (even though they only took the edge off)

So your kidney had shut down due to the stone blockage and the lithroscopy then broke up the stone? Did the lith take care of all your stones or just the one lodged?

Old 07-27-2011, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLlovesRaleighwood View Post
I am glad they were able to take care of the problem and you are feeling better. I shudder to think of all the pain you experienced. It's good that they didn't short change you on the pain meds in the hospital. (even though they only took the edge off)

So your kidney had shut down due to the stone blockage and the lithroscopy then broke up the stone? Did the lith take care of all your stones or just the one lodged?
The rest of my stones were very small and must have passed at some time. They didn't see them when they did the x-rays after the procedure. Yes, the stone had been lodged for some time it appears and the delay in getting me to the urologist caused me a lot of unnecessary pain as my kidney was shutting down. So, when I went to the urologist, he immediately put me in the hospital. He wanted to get me on IV antibiotics and get the pain under control before doing the surgery the following day. Apparently, helping the pain get under control helps with healing? I must admit that the pain I underwent until I got the surgery was intense and about 10 times worse than what I was undergoing until that point.

The lithroscopy was not entirely successful. They weren't able to break it up but had to pull it out. This did cause me a bit more pain after the fact and a bit more bleeding. I guess it was low enough to do that. I've had a bit of pain since then but the medicine they gave me to help with the spasms seems to help some. That and the pain meds. I am looking forward to getting better once and for all. This really went on way too long and was handled poorly by a number of doctors until this point. I was misdiagnosed for a few months with stomach issues and then the urologist office staff decided to not get me in right away and give me an appointment two weeks away. The urologist apologized multiple times for that. If I had been handled correctly, this would have been much easier to handle early on.

Old 07-27-2011, 11:06 PM

Quote:
The rest of my stones were very small and must have passed at some time. They didn't see them when they did the x-rays after the procedure. Yes, the stone had been lodged for some time it appears and the delay in getting me to the urologist caused me a lot of unnecessary pain as my kidney was shutting down. So, when I went to the urologist, he immediately put me in the hospital. He wanted to get me on IV antibiotics and get the pain under control before doing the surgery the following day. Apparently, helping the pain get under control helps with healing? I must admit that the pain I underwent until I got the surgery was intense and about 10 times worse than what I was undergoing until that point.

The lithroscopy was not entirely successful. They weren't able to break it up but had to pull it out. This did cause me a bit more pain after the fact and a bit more bleeding. I guess it was low enough to do that. I've had a bit of pain since then but the medicine they gave me to help with the spasms seems to help some. That and the pain meds. I am looking forward to getting better once and for all. This really went on way too long and was handled poorly by a number of doctors until this point. I was misdiagnosed for a few months with stomach issues and then the urologist office staff decided to not get me in right away and give me an appointment two weeks away. The urologist apologized multiple times for that. If I had been handled correctly, this would have been much easier to handle early on.
Yes, it definitely sounds like things should have been handled more expeditiously. I am glad you are on the mend and hope that you have a speedy recovery. Will you be able to go on vacation?

Old 07-28-2011, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Yes, it definitely sounds like things should have been handled more expeditiously. I am glad you are on the mend and hope that you have a speedy recovery. Will you be able to go on vacation?
We are going on vacation but we had to change out plans completely. Now, I'll be recovering on a lounge chair next to a pool in Florida!

Old 07-28-2011, 03:36 PM

Quote:
We are going on vacation but we had to change out plans completely. Now, I'll be recovering on a lounge chair next to a pool in Florida!

That's a pretty nice way to recover. What were your plans before?

Old 07-28-2011, 04:15 PM

Quote:
That's a pretty nice way to recover. What were your plans before?
Driving cross country on a Griswold family type vacation.

Old 07-28-2011, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Driving cross country on a Griswold family type vacation.
HA! The Griswold family and Wally World. I loved that movie.

I think you made a wise decision to change your plans. Chilling out by a pool will be much easier on you as you heal.

I hope you have a fabulous time. Just take it easy and don't push yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness