Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2011, 03:46 PM

5,893 posts, read 12,811,786 times

Advertisements

I have been through hell this week trying to have a simple one-tube blood test done for a doctor's appointment on Monday.

Had two different people try in the doctor's lab the other day. Neither could find a good vein (Mine are tiny and deep, apparently), and they suggested that maybe I hadn't been drinking enough water. Ended up with a nice navy blue bruise on the one arm.

Started drinking lots and lots of water (Seems like enough to fill a good-size kiddie pool ) over the next few days.

Tried again at the doctor's lab late this morning after tons more water, squeezing a ball and releasing it while in the waiting room, etc. Nada! She was going to try the top of my hand, but I was already in tears and feeling like I was going to pass out, so she suggested I go home, have some lunch, drink even more water, and try the lab at the hospital later before they closed.

The first girl there ended up calling an older woman who tapped around checking the possibilities. She tried one arm again. Nothing againg. Finally she got some out of the top of my hand. It took a while, and I was really getting sweaty, nauseous and feeling like I was going to pass out.

The one girl was fanning me while she finished, and then they put an ice pack on the back of my neck and led me into the back room to lie back in a recliner until I felt like I could walk to my car.

No one has EVER not been able to find a vein and get blood from me. This was one small tube. A while back I had a complete panel of tests and tubes with no problem.

I'm concerned as I'm going to have to be tested more often now than ever before. Do you think it's the heat wave that might be causing the problem, or what? I didn't see any vampire bites on my neck or anywhere.

Any suggestions for something I might be able to do prior to a test in the future, I sure would like to hear them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2011, 04:55 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
Lots of water in the hours before you go and a warm pack on your arm where they will try. The lab should have one, ask.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 07-23-2011, 08:34 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,958,042 times
It also depends on the person taking the blood. My veins stick out of my arms, and it still takes some people 3 or 4 times to stick the needle while others get it the first time. I can handle breaking bones, cuts, bruises, scrapes... but I can't handle someone sticking a needle in my arm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness