Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 06:37 PM

2,222 posts, read 10,649,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
One of my friends had a remedy she swore by...when she had a hot flash, she stuck her head in the freezer for a minute or so....where she kept a bottle of Crown Royal with a straw
I could think of a few things that remedy would work well for. Thanks for the laugh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 06:30 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
One of my friends had a remedy she swore by...when she had a hot flash, she stuck her head in the freezer for a minute or so....where she kept a bottle of Crown Royal with a straw
I've gotta try this ... Do you suppose that bourbon would work just as well??

Old 07-29-2011, 06:43 AM

15,634 posts, read 10,390,278 times
These things work for me:

Dress in layers (sleeveless shirt, vest, sweater) so you can peel clothes off or put them on as your body temp goes up and down.

Keep longer hair off the neck. Wear it up or cut it off.

Avoid caffeine, alcohol (sorry), hot spices.

Keep a cold drink nearby.

Hot flashes suck. If you can figure out the things that trigger them in your body, we're all different, you can help reduce them. Some flashes come hell or high water. They can continue for a decade, unfortunately.

Old 07-29-2011, 10:43 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Avoid caffeine, alcohol (sorry)
Yeah, alcohol is a definite trigger for me, even if I'm in a freezing cold air-conditioned room.

Which is a shame because I'd like to get drunk and forget about my hot flashes! LOL

Old 07-31-2011, 06:13 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,301,087 times
Well, those of you who got relief from Black Cohosh were lucky. It didn't do diddly-squat for me.

My doc has me on lowest-dose Estrogen vaginal creme. Because of my cardiac history he will not prescribe it in pill form at all. I absolutely detest this creme. It's messy and not helping the issues I went to see him about ~ hot flashes wasn't one of them.

But I do think it helps the flashes a little. I used to get flashes that literally gave me chest pain and those are very rare anymore.

I know I shouldn't drink coffee, but . . .

Old 07-31-2011, 10:11 PM

37,103 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
Well, those of you who got relief from Black Cohosh were lucky. It didn't do diddly-squat for me.

My doc has me on lowest-dose Estrogen vaginal creme. Because of my cardiac history he will not prescribe it in pill form at all. I absolutely detest this creme. It's messy and not helping the issues I went to see him about ~ hot flashes wasn't one of them.

But I do think it helps the flashes a little. I used to get flashes that literally gave me chest pain and those are very rare anymore.

I know I shouldn't drink coffee, but . . .

Ask your doctor about Vagifem. It is a tiny vaginal tablet, not a cream. There is also an estrogen ring available, but with Vagifem, you can adjust the dose. Once or twice per week may be enough.

See here about estrogen and deep vein thrombosis. Although all estrogen products, including vaginal creams, will have a warning about the increased risk of DVT, non-oral forms of estrogen probably do not increase the risk. That would include the vaginal products and the estrogen patches. See here:

Risk of venous thrombosis with oral versus transde... [Curr Opin Hematol. 2010] - PubMed result

Hormone Therapy and Venous Thromboembolism Among Postmenopausal Women

Old 08-02-2011, 02:54 PM

2,046 posts, read 5,587,756 times
Thanks everyone! I did not realize there were triggers but I am cutting back on those and things are cooling down.... just a little.

Old 08-05-2011, 10:39 AM

973 posts, read 1,705,342 times
Has this happened to anyone? I got very few hot flashes (that I lovingly called "power surges" to my students when one would occur), when I went through menopause, but now, 8 years later, I am getting them terribly! What is with that??? Why would they come back and last longer?

I take Vagifem 2X week; drink coffee once a day, one 7 oz coke, do not drink really and no spicy foods.

Old 08-05-2011, 08:08 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,319,202 times
Black Cohosh worked wonders for me. I didn't change anything (always been a healthy eater, 3 x week exerciser, 2 glasses/day wine drinker) and only added Black Cohosh, and----- hot flashes GONE!

Old 08-07-2011, 11:35 PM

27 posts, read 65,367 times
Like what i told in one thread a few weeks ago asking about the treatment for Menopause. You may try to research about the supplement MX Menopause Factor. I've read good reviews about it that according to them it good as a relief from night sweats and hot flashes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness