U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 10:18 AM

193 posts, read 907,598 times

Advertisements

Well I had the test dont this morning. They did not use needles though. thanks goodness. I am confused though. At first he did not think that I had any nerve damage because everything looked ok. He did a shock on my wrist area and said that I did have nerve damage. He said is was like a level 2 or something, I don't remember. Then he did all these pushes and things on my arms and hands and I think he has the imression that I have a very slight case of carpal tunnel. I am so frustrated. My pain is so much worse in the afternoon and at night, so I don't think he is going to have a realistic view of how much pain I am in at 9:00 in the morning, before I have even started working. I don't know what to think. I am going to scream if the report my doctor receives just says to deal with the situation. I do not want to live like this. Any words of wisdom?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2007, 10:28 AM

5,981 posts, read 15,879,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpdsag View Post
Any words of wisdom?
I wish....let me see if I can figure out from an EMG report what a "level 2" might be, that's not a term my docs use.

Many, many surgeons will take into account your pain factor....or they may order an MRI on your hand to see if there is a cyst or something that could be causing pain from another area.

When is your follow up with your surgeon?

Old 08-16-2007, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
I wish....let me see if I can figure out from an EMG report what a "level 2" might be, that's not a term my docs use.

Many, many surgeons will take into account your pain factor....or they may order an MRI on your hand to see if there is a cyst or something that could be causing pain from another area.

When is your follow up with your surgeon?
I don't even have one. I saw a neurologist this morning. He said I have nerve damage in the wrist but I got the impression from him that he is going to send my doctor a report saying it is not that bad. The pain is terrible though. I am just not sure what to do. I won't even say that I want surgery. I just want relief. I can't even clean my house very well right now because my arm and wrist are so painfull.

Old 08-16-2007, 10:39 AM

5,981 posts, read 15,879,485 times
Call your surgeon's office - insist on follow up. Insist on further testing. If you can't get it from him/her, find someone else who is willing to go the distance and find out what is wrong with you. No one should write you off like that....I would have thought you would have had a follow up to discuss the test results.

Sometimes you have to change docs - my personal belief is that you have to take charge of your own medical care, and sometimes that means pursuing the next option on your own - but I'd definitely give your original physician a chance to explain what's going on and why the physician you were referred to did not do an entire test on you since that's what you were under the impression was ordered.

Old 08-16-2007, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
Call your surgeon's office - insist on follow up. Insist on further testing. If you can't get it from him/her, find someone else who is willing to go the distance and find out what is wrong with you. No one should write you off like that....I would have thought you would have had a follow up to discuss the test results.

Sometimes you have to change docs - my personal belief is that you have to take charge of your own medical care, and sometimes that means pursuing the next option on your own - but I'd definitely give your original physician a chance to explain what's going on and why the physician you were referred to did not do an entire test on you since that's what you were under the impression was ordered.
he did an semg which is where they tape probes to your arm and shock the probes with a thing that looks like a taser gun. I got the shock of my life a few times, that is for sure. He said that it is an accurate determination for carpal tunnel. His nurse said that he might have to do the emg (with the needles) but he never did. My question is this, if he found nerve damage in the wrist, what else can it be?

Old 08-16-2007, 01:15 PM

7,099 posts, read 23,858,207 times
It's the borderline situation that I mentioned. If you never used your fingers and hand in a repetitive manner, a few weeks of rest in a splint might be enough to "heal" the impairment.

However, I can't see that you would want to dump your job. The amount of pain medication to stop the pain might not be something you want to deal with either. I think that it's going to end up with your making a decision that you don't like.

Perhaps getting a second opinion might ease your mind. It's possible that there could be a little cyst or bone spur. Both would require a little surgery to remove, but it should be done if that's the problem.

One thing that you MUST keep in mind. Constant irritation of a nerve is not a good thing. Talk to your doctors about the whole situation, not just the pain, but your work too.

Old 08-16-2007, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
It's the borderline situation that I mentioned. If you never used your fingers and hand in a repetitive manner, a few weeks of rest in a splint might be enough to "heal" the impairment.

However, I can't see that you would want to dump your job. The amount of pain medication to stop the pain might not be something you want to deal with either. I think that it's going to end up with your making a decision that you don't like.

Perhaps getting a second opinion might ease your mind. It's possible that there could be a little cyst or bone spur. Both would require a little surgery to remove, but it should be done if that's the problem.

One thing that you MUST keep in mind. Constant irritation of a nerve is not a good thing. Talk to your doctors about the whole situation, not just the pain, but your work too.
Thanks alot, you have been very informative.

Old 08-18-2007, 05:33 AM

217 posts, read 880,892 times
Hi Ipdsag. I have a lady friend who suffered for at 10 years with extreme carpal tunnel in both wrists. When She came over to visit, she would sit with both hands turned upwards because letting them relax in a normal manner was too painful for Her. I finally convinced Her to see a doctor. She had the carpul tunnel band cut in both wrists. The doctor would not even consider doing both wrists at the same time. Wisely he told Her that would completly disable use of Her hands. How would you eat,clean yourself,etc. Anyway the nerves that run through the carpul tunnel band were extremely swollen. It's been about 2 years now, and She has no pain whatsoever, and is still doing the same job She was doing before. Her off work time was minimal. She kicks Herself for suffering all those years. If you need the surgery, do it. Why suffer? It is a very common operation these days. It takes less than 1 hour. You will be completely out when they do it. Tell your doctor how much you are suffering. Don't be afraid to speak up. By the way, it was considered an industrial injury and was paid for by the company. Be brave, good luck,skitow.

Old 08-19-2007, 04:43 PM

10,860 posts, read 41,046,966 times
I'm curious if you've tried any alternative types of medicine for relief.

I had a mild case of carpal tunnel in both wrists and tendinitis, too, from working as a mechanic for many years with repetitive motions.

I found that using arnica oil directly on the skin around the wrist and elbow, twice daily, and taking arnica montana 200C pills (4 ea twice daily, dissolved under the tongue) ... alleviated the symptoms and the irritation/inflamation.

With a few weeks away from the activities that were triggering my symptoms, I started to heal up. There were no side effects to using the arnica, it's inexpensive, and, ... IMO ... preferable to any surgery and the possibilty of scar tissue, adverse outcomes, or long term complications. After 8 years, I'm virtually pain free all the time, although I know from experience if I push myself into a lot of the same movements as triggered the original problems, I can start to trigger an attack. Moderation in my movements and continuing to use the arnica stops the problem then. Generally, I'm feeling so good that there's days I forget to take the arnica.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness