Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Honest pharmacies needed, generic substitutions for brand-named drugs, Kevin Trudeau, rude interaction with customer, poor customer service, pharmacy mistakes, language barrier and breakdown

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 03:42 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,425,008 times

Advertisements

I have been trying to find a pharmacy I can deal with where I don't feel compelled to leap across the counter and choke the life out of the lying, stupid, inept morons that they are. So far I have yet to find one. I am curious as to what the criteria these days even is to work in the pharmacy. I usually come across people who can barely communicate in English or are just downright unsavory.

I spoke with a friend at work recently who admitted that when she was being trained to work as a pharmacy tech, that they were instructed to fill generic even when the client asked for brand if the client was insured. Apparently, this saves the HMOs tons of money each year because the generic drugs are cheaper to them. The policy I have for Rx happens to include brand drugs, they just double the co-pay. This apparently is not good enough for the pharmacists, who are looking to get me to take the Rx that will cost the HMOs less money. Why offer a benefit that you cannot avail yourself of?

Nonetheless, I have to vent here because my last pharmacist was contacting the wrong doctor to renew an ongoing prescription I have, and didn't tell me who they called just that I was declined and advised that i need to schedule an appt before they would prescribe. I had just had a physical less than a month before they said this so I called my doc and sure enough the pharmacy never spoke to them. They contacted the OB/GYN with whom I had delivered my daughter last year instead of my general doctor. So I asked my doc to call the prescription in to a different pharmacy. Great - now these new morons tell me on Friday I have to wait until Monday for them to fill the brand prescription for the ointment my daughter's rash requires. OK, get the call today and they tell me it is a discontinued item. WTF??? You couldn't tell me this until Monday afternoon?

And that is why I wish someone could point me in the right direction to find a reliable pharmacist that won't drive me to pull all my hair out from frustration and indignation. I have wasted hours of my life in the last month alone standing around for what seemed like an eternity in these "friendly neighborhood" pharmacies only to realize that I can expect mediocre at best. I can't imagine what folks who have serious illnesses and/or no insurance must have to deal with, since my needs are mild and I have decent ins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2007, 06:47 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,342,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
I have been trying to find a pharmacy I can deal with where I don't feel compelled to leap across the counter and choke the life out of the lying, stupid, inept morons that they are. So far I have yet to find one. I am curious as to what the criteria these days even is to work in the pharmacy. I usually come across people who can barely communicate in English or are just downright unsavory.

I spoke with a friend at work recently who admitted that when she was being trained to work as a pharmacy tech, that they were instructed to fill generic even when the client asked for brand if the client was insured. Apparently, this saves the HMOs tons of money each year because the generic drugs are cheaper to them. The policy I have for Rx happens to include brand drugs, they just double the co-pay. This apparently is not good enough for the pharmacists, who are looking to get me to take the Rx that will cost the HMOs less money. Why offer a benefit that you cannot avail yourself of?

Nonetheless, I have to vent here because my last pharmacist was contacting the wrong doctor to renew an ongoing prescription I have, and didn't tell me who they called just that I was declined and advised that i need to schedule an appt before they would prescribe. I had just had a physical less than a month before they said this so I called my doc and sure enough the pharmacy never spoke to them. They contacted the OB/GYN with whom I had delivered my daughter last year instead of my general doctor. So I asked my doc to call the prescription in to a different pharmacy. Great - now these new morons tell me on Friday I have to wait until Monday for them to fill the brand prescription for the ointment my daughter's rash requires. OK, get the call today and they tell me it is a discontinued item. WTF??? You couldn't tell me this until Monday afternoon?

And that is why I wish someone could point me in the right direction to find a reliable pharmacist that won't drive me to pull all my hair out from frustration and indignation. I have wasted hours of my life in the last month alone standing around for what seemed like an eternity in these "friendly neighborhood" pharmacies only to realize that I can expect mediocre at best. I can't imagine what folks who have serious illnesses and/or no insurance must have to deal with, since my needs are mild and I have decent ins.
If a provider writes for brand only, the pharmacist cannot substitute. End of discussion. If s/he writes "substitution permitted" or any variation there of, the pharmacist can use generic. If you have a problem, talk to your provider about it and s/he'll contact the pharmacy.

Old 08-15-2007, 08:16 AM

7,395 posts, read 19,340,034 times
Read the book, "What "They" Don't Want You to Know" by Kevin Trudeau.
Explains a lot of why things are the way they are.

Old 08-15-2007, 11:49 AM

786 posts, read 1,176,266 times
I have a feeling there's a few pharmacists out there complaining about their customers, too.

Old 08-15-2007, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuke View Post
I have a feeling there's a few pharmacists out there complaining about their customers, too.
Unfortunately, it is the pharmacists' job to provide a service to the customer, and not the other way around. The responsibility put upon the pharmacist is essentially everyone's lives that they fill a prescription for. And what exactly would a pharmacist have to complain about regarding their customers? Do fill me in - I would love to know if I am guilty of whatever missteps you believe customers perpetrate against the pharms.

Old 08-15-2007, 02:38 PM

Quote:
And what exactly would a pharmacist have to complain about regarding their customers? Do fill me in - I would love to know if I am guilty of whatever missteps you believe customers perpetrate against the pharms.
Great - now these new morons tell me on Friday I have to wait until Monday for them to fill the brand prescription for the ointment my daughter's rash requires. OK, get the call today and they tell me it is a discontinued item. WTF??? You couldn't tell me this until Monday afternoon?

I thought "moron" added a nice touch. I'll bet your tone of voice made his/her day.

Old 08-16-2007, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
Great - now these new morons tell me on Friday I have to wait until Monday for them to fill the brand prescription for the ointment my daughter's rash requires. OK, get the call today and they tell me it is a discontinued item. WTF??? You couldn't tell me this until Monday afternoon?

I thought "moron" added a nice touch. I'll bet your tone of voice made his/her day.
Why would you conclude that I was anything short of respectful and decent towards the pharmacist - because I vented on a forum? Thanks for your contribution, I'm sorry you're so short-sighted.

Old 08-16-2007, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Why would you conclude that I was anything short of respectful and decent towards the pharmacist - because I vented on a forum? Thanks for your contribution, I'm sorry you're so short-sighted.
Because of your tone. I have had to act respectful to people who act as you portray yourself acting at the pharmacy 24/7, because it is my job to do so as a human being and as a healthcare worker and provider. It is also my job to teach other healthcare workers that no matter what a patient / customer says that may be uncalled for, rude, ignorant - whatever - or how that patient / customer acts toward them, it is imperative that that s/he does not act the same, because it is primarily unprofessional and they will lose their job.

Old 08-16-2007, 06:46 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,028,777 times
Quote:
Great - now these new morons tell me on Friday I have to wait until Monday for them to fill the brand prescription for the ointment my daughter's rash requires.
I'm sure your daughter loves the fact that you're broadcasting the existence of her "rash" to the entire Internet community. Yuck!

Old 08-17-2007, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpy View Post
I'm sure your daughter loves the fact that you're broadcasting the existence of her "rash" to the entire Internet community. Yuck!
Is everyone who feels the need to chastise me on this thread a pharmacist and taking my post personally, or do you just feel the need to be contrary for the sake of being contrary? My daughter happens to be a year and half old so I really don't think she has an opinion about what I'm writing in the HEALTH & WELLNESS forum, and children her age are prone to rashes especially if they have sensitive skin. I'm sorry if that seems disgusting to you - for babies it is quite common. I read a thread on the pet forum about a woman who vividly described, blow-by-blow, the most vile story involving herself, her pet, and her shower, and I could refrain from trying to attack her or her choices. Did you go tell her 'yuck', and reprimand her for posting that garbage to the entire internet community? Didn't think so.

I hope a Moderator closes this thread - there is obviously no one with information which I was requesting and that was a recommendation of a decent pharmacy. All the responses have been little more than static and personal insults. I hope you all have a happy Friday free from the need to attack people on the internet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness