Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 07:19 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,763,189 times

Advertisements

I have had the proceedure done twice. I was scared nearly to death the first time and didn't know they need a urine sample to check for pregnancy so make sure you don't urinate until they tell you the need it. The both times drinking that putrid disgusting fruit flavored formaldehyde almost made cancel it. Don't pick your favorite flavor or you will never enjoy it again the rest of your life. The second time I threw up because I drank it too fast ....so for your own sake don't drink it up as quick as the instructions tell you too. If you get a little more than halfway that is good enough to clean you out. I know I called the Doctor in a panic thinking I didn't get enough in to clean me out he calmed me down so I stopped for the night when I got more than halfway through but not finishing the whole damn river of it.

I was furious the first time I was told I couldn't drive myself but I soon realized why when the proceedure was done. I was well how do I say this without being ugh. Just believe me you will want to shower immediately and feel icky as far as not feeling clean you won't be able to concentrate on driving with at alone now feeling a little weak. You likely won't want to drive.

I didn't see any reason why I couldn't take a cab but everyone told me no have friends or family take me both ways and don't trust a cabby in the condition I will be in. Well I could have easily taken a cab but if I got sick or dizzy the cabby wouldn't help out like someone who cares would. I wish there were services for younger people to drive us to where need to get for medical proceedures like there are for Senior Citizens. I really think places that do nothing but Colonsocopy's and Endoscopy's should have a service that can be trusted to drive the patients to and from. It's unfortunate that they don't. I was also told not to be alone for a few hours afterwards but that's silly to me. I stayed home alone and was just fine. I ate my breakfast took my meds and rested the rest of the day.

It's nothing at all to fear and I must admit the most important part that I will always look forward to is......I had the most wonderful sleep I ever had in my life and I want to bottle whatever drug/anesthesia they used on me to take home. OMG it was just absolutely wonderful. I didn't feel drugged or sick or anything but refreshed. Yeah a little bit weak but I think that was from not being able to eat.

Last edited by Lolipopbubbles; 08-14-2011 at 07:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2011, 07:22 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,563,320 times
I need to have one of these procedures but am absolutely petrified. I am so afraid that whatever they find will be the end of me! You folks are all so brave.

Old 08-14-2011, 07:22 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,054,460 times
Sprite is fine. The directions are always confusing. No red, well does that mean no purple or orange popsicles, they have red dye, does that count?

Old 08-14-2011, 07:37 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,763,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarragon View Post
I need to have one of these procedures but am absolutely petrified. I am so afraid that whatever they find will be the end of me! You folks are all so brave.

You have nothing to fear. I know people who go more often than most because they found a pollup (not sure of spelling) removing them is the best thing for the patient. It's having them and not removing them that could be dangerous. So honey relax the worst part is the preparation and thats really just a pain the a$$ no pun intended and not literally lol.

Old 08-14-2011, 07:40 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,687,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Wow, good for you that you did it. I'm borderline anemic and my Dr. said good thing I'm getting this done (to rule out any bleeding). Question - did they remove the polyps while you were under?
First time when I did drink the gallon jug, yes he did get 2 out and then
follow-up so I go and he had a real nice nurse which mostly did say
he has done enough of them to know I would be Ok, WOW and he did remove
them with pre cancer which is gone as they are. Why I had this again and
he got 2 small nothing ones and removed them. My big fear was as you the pain etc., however they do this all the time and should have a doctor there
so no pain. I did look my first time I had more of this profol since it did take longer with the polyps to remove. You also did pass the worse of it and
may never need one for ten years. Also if you have these Polyps they remove them which is good and promise it will not hurt! Also I just did think
it is real cold there however they give you in most places a heated cover up and the staff is aware of people being afraid.

Last edited by maggiekate; 08-14-2011 at 07:51 PM..

Old 08-14-2011, 07:42 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,995,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantthinkofaname View Post
I have had the proceedure done twice. I was scared nearly to death the first time and didn't know they need a urine sample to check for pregnancy so make sure you don't urinate until they tell you the need it. The both times drinking that putrid disgusting fruit flavored formaldehyde almost made cancel it. Don't pick your favorite flavor or you will never enjoy it again the rest of your life. The second time I threw up because I drank it too fast ....so for your own sake don't drink it up as quick as the instructions tell you too. If you get a little more than halfway that is good enough to clean you out. I know I called the Doctor in a panic thinking I didn't get enough in to clean me out he calmed me down so I stopped for the night when I got more than halfway through but not finishing the whole damn river of it.

I was furious the first time I was told I couldn't drive myself but I soon realized why when the proceedure was done. I was well how do I say this without being ugh. Just believe me you will want to shower immediately and feel icky as far as not feeling clean you won't be able to concentrate on driving with at alone now feeling a little weak. You likely won't want to drive.

I didn't see any reason why I couldn't take a cab but everyone told me no have friends or family take me both ways and don't trust a cabby in the condition I will be in. Well I could have easily taken a cab but if I got sick or dizzy the cabby wouldn't help out like someone who cares would. I wish there were services for younger people to drive us to where need to get for medical proceedures like there are for Senior Citizens. I really think places that do nothing but Colonsocopy's and Endoscopy's should have a service that can be trusted to drive the patients to and from. It's unfortunate that they don't. I was also told not to be alone for a few hours afterwards but that's silly to me. I stayed home alone and was just fine. I ate my breakfast took my meds and rested the rest of the day.

It's nothing at all to fear and I must admit the most important part that I will always look forward to is......I had the most wonderful sleep I ever had in my life and I want to bottle whatever drug/anesthesia they used on me to take home. OMG it was just absolutely wonderful. I didn't feel drugged or sick or anything but refreshed. Yeah a little bit weak but I think that was from not being able to eat.
Uh oh, now that you mention it general anesthesia makes me sick and I throw up. I hope this is not general anesthesia. I always get nauseated. One tip that I found out from a nurse - if you start feeling nauseous and like you are going to vomit, open up one of those little alcohol prep pads and sniff it. It really does ward off the feeling that you want to vomit.

Oh, and I agree that some sort of driving service should be available to those who aren't yet senior seniors but still need transportation for these sorts of procedures.

Thanks for sharing your experience. BTW, I'm drinking the stuff per the instructions every 15 minutes. One more glass to go and I guess it will have been one hour's worth of drinking it. I am getting a bit sick of it though.

Old 08-14-2011, 07:45 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,995,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
Sprite is fine. The directions are always confusing. No red, well does that mean no purple or orange popsicles, they have red dye, does that count?
Yup, no red, orange or purple anything. They said lemon and lime.

Old 08-14-2011, 08:03 PM

2,289 posts, read 5,771,905 times
Just had my second one. I think the worst part is the prep, the night B/4 Crap. To me,there is nothing to the test.

I could have easily driven myself home, however, I do understand, the doctor needs to protect their practice, they deal with the masses, not the exception.

Old 08-14-2011, 08:18 PM

30,246 posts, read 23,716,365 times
At what age should you do this? I've never had one, never considered having one but seeing all these people have had one...how old would you be getting your first one or is it because of a symptom or referral?

Misty, as for general anesthesia, I'm with you there. When I snapped my ankle in 2004, I was put under, general. It was supposed to be an out patient process but the anesthesia made me so sick, my blood pressure dropped to 88/44 and I had to stay the night. I remember watching a black and white Godzilla movie, falling asleep, being woken up, lots of pain and having to pee really, really bad, getting the bed pan, filling that puppy up and calling for the nurse, waiting, waiting, waiting, would someone PLEASE take this horrid bed pan away from me, GROSS!

Anyway, tell them you get sick from general anesthesia if that is what they are going to do. It's not something to mess with.

I also agree it's a great idea that there be a service for younger people to get to/from the hospital. I know the VA will take care of you, (as they did with my ankle), but what about civilian hospitals? People need that assistance no matter their age.

Maybe someone with the know how, the time and the strength can work on that. I don't even have the first clue how that would be done and changed. Especially right now with so many cuts in budgets, left and right.

Misty, best of luck!

Old 08-14-2011, 08:24 PM

2,358 posts, read 5,980,910 times
Like others have said, the prep is by far the worst part of the experience. Otherwise, it was quite easy. I was nervous, but the nerves were unwarranted. GOod luck tomorrow Misty!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness