U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2011, 01:25 AM

2,708 posts, read 2,983,980 times

Advertisements

I realise that the rich and powerful dont like their profits being eroded and anything which can provide a cheap and simple resolution to our problems seems to be fought tooth and nail. But... does that mean we will put up with this attitude to rob us of our natural health.

Pinhole glasses are reported to work in many cases, to improve sight for certain types of eyesight problem.

OK, so they dont work for every eyesight problem, but if your eyesight responds favourably to a multi-pinhole occluder (used by the opticians), dont you think that it would be worth trying to find out if a more permanent solution to your eyesight problems is available using pinhole glasses?

After all, they both work on the same principles and eyes have a lot of muscles in them. Why not try to find out if you can exercise and tone your eye muscles, just like any other muscle in your body. To me, that makes sense.

There are downsides to them. You cannot wear them to drive or operate machinery but the theory goes that you only have to wear pinhole glasses for 15-20 minutes at a time once or twice a day to train your eyes to focus better and to improve your eyesight.

Wikipedia says
Quote:
The pinhole occluder, a device used by ophthalmologists and optometrists for diagnosis of refractive errors, works on the same principles, but is not intended for use outside of diagnosis.
Hmmm...I wonder why they are not intended to be used outside of diagnosis? Possibly because if you found that pinhole glasses could improve your eyesight, you would not want to buy expensive prescription glasses perhaps?

And you know why no-one has done any INDEPENDENT research on pinhole glasses? Could it be that the case for prescription glasses would be weakened if it was found that cheapo pinhole glasses could in some cases, work more effectively?

And, no, I am not selling pinhole glasses. I am just suggesting that we all investigate whether our eyesight problems could be cheaply and effectively resolved by using them.

One pair of 20 dollar pinhole glasses could be shared by 5 or 6 families if you are really poor too ! :-)

Old 08-29-2011, 06:05 AM

13,258 posts, read 34,623,814 times
Why go through the trouble of finding specialty glasses that are intended for a specific malady, and not for any other malady, when you can pick up a pair of 1x reading glasses at the Dollar Store for - a dollar? You can get a 10-pack of them at BJ's for $19.00 and they come in a variety of colors and styles. Or if you want less flimsy frames, you can grab a pair from the local pharmacy for $15.99 each. No prescription needed, just walk in and buy them from the eyeglass stand.

That's for longsightedness. It's why those flimsy 1x and 1.5x and 2.x and .5x glasses are available; because most people don't need prescriptions, they only need a little boost when they read.

Old 08-29-2011, 11:05 AM

14,315 posts, read 12,573,110 times
I used "cheaters" for years before I broke down and got prescription glasses.....still use them when using the computer and when doing yard work. I have broken two pair doing yard work, so they saved me some big $$$.

I think the idea of these "pinhole" glasses is to "exercise" your eye muscles so you don't need glasses at all.

I never heard of them before I read this thread either.

I have heard of other systems that are supposed to enable you to "exercise" your way out of needing glasses......never heard of any that actually worked though.

Old 08-30-2011, 05:05 PM

21,498 posts, read 26,102,510 times
Marketers Withdraw False and Unsubstantiated Claims About “Pinhole” Eyeglasses

Yes, through a pinhole can produce a more focused image.

Wearing them will not make the refractive error go away.

Refractive errors occur because of the shape of the eyeball. No exercises can change that. It has nothing to do with the eye muscles.

You should not drive or operate machinery while wearing pinhole glasses because the obscure a large portion of the field of vision.

See here:

Pinhole glasses - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-31-2011, 07:51 AM

2,708 posts, read 2,983,980 times
If you read the original post, I did mention they were not effective in some cases and I also mentioned that you should not wear them whilst driving or operating any kind of machinery.

Eyes do change in shape, but there is no reason to suggest that if they can change towards being worse that they should not also be able to change for the better.

I am not saying that pinhole glasses will achieve that, but like I said, it does make sense that they may be able to help strengthen eye accomodation muscles.

There is probably no substantiated cases because no-one wants to finance the research. There appears to be a fair amount of circumstantial evidence for improvement though.

The authorities and the medical companies are paranoid about unsubstantiated evidence, yet they themselves pay for reports which prove whatever they want.

Even placebo effect gives a high recovery rate, sometimes far higher than actual drugs. Chemotherapy drugs have a very low effectiveness rate - something like 5% I believe. However, placebo has up to 35% or possibly more.

I was only suggesting that people look into alternatives rather than just accept what they are told by experts who have a vested interest in sometimes weakening our eyes by suggesting we wear glasses.

Old 08-31-2011, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
If you read the original post, I did mention they were not effective in some cases and I also mentioned that you should not wear them whilst driving or operating any kind of machinery.
They are not effective at all in changing the underlying eye problem.

Quote:
Eyes do change in shape, but there is no reason to suggest that if they can change towards being worse that they should not also be able to change for the better.
Wearing pinhole glasses will not change the shape of the eye.

Quote:
I am not saying that pinhole glasses will achieve that, but like I said, it does make sense that they may be able to help strengthen eye accomodation muscles.
The glasses only work when you wear them. They do not "strengthen" the muscles that change the shape of the lens.

Quote:
There is probably no substantiated cases because no-one wants to finance the research. There appears to be a fair amount of circumstantial evidence for improvement though.

The authorities and the medical companies are paranoid about unsubstantiated evidence, yet they themselves pay for reports which prove whatever they want.
What "authorities"? What "medical companies"? What "circumstantial evidence"?

Quote:
Even placebo effect gives a high recovery rate, sometimes far higher than actual drugs. Chemotherapy drugs have a very low effectiveness rate - something like 5% I believe. However, placebo has up to 35% or possibly more.
Placebo effectiveness varies, depending on the condition being treated. Taking a placebo for strep throat rather than penicillin would not be a very good idea. And you are way off on the effectiveness of chemo. Again, it depends on the cancer being treated. For some conditions it is near 100%.

Quote:
I was only suggesting that people look into alternatives rather than just accept what they are told by experts who have a vested interest in sometimes weakening our eyes by suggesting we wear glasses.
Do you have any evidence that wearing glasses "weakens" anyone's eyes?

And aren't pinhole glasses --- glasses? Do you get them for free, or does someone actually sell them to you --- to make a profit?

Old 09-01-2011, 10:41 AM

7,754 posts, read 16,452,867 times
I wore pinhole glasses for about an hour a day for a 6 month period prior to catarract surgery, hoping they might offer some improvement. Much to my dismay...they did not, so I went thru with the catarract surgery. I have no regrets about giving them a try. They are very inexpensive and they always make my eyes FEEL better. I still wear them from time to time.

Old 09-01-2011, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
I wore pinhole glasses for about an hour a day for a 6 month period prior to catarract surgery, hoping they might offer some improvement. Much to my dismay...they did not, so I went thru with the catarract surgery. I have no regrets about giving them a try. They are very inexpensive and they always make my eyes FEEL better. I still wear them from time to time.
I really would not expect pinhole glasses to help cataracts, since that is not a focusing problem.

The pinhole glasses only work while you are wearing them. To wear them so you do not have to wear glasses does not work You will still need your glasses.

Old 09-01-2011, 11:54 AM

7,754 posts, read 16,452,867 times
suzy_q2010 wrote:
The pinhole glasses only work while you are wearing them. To wear them so you do not have to wear glasses does not work You will still need your glasses.
The first sentence rings true for me, but the 2nd sentence is only partially true. Ocassionally I wear the pinhole glasses while I'm working. In fact, I'm wearing them now!

Old 09-01-2011, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
suzy_q2010 wrote:
The first sentence rings true for me, but the 2nd sentence is only partially true. Ocassionally I wear the pinhole glasses while I'm working. In fact, I'm wearing them now!
I'm confused. What I mean is that you cannot wear pinhole glasses to correct the underlying abnormalities that make people wear glasses to bring into focus what they see. You have better focus while the pinhole glasses are on, but the effect goes away as soon as you take them off. It does not permanently eliminate the need to use something to correct the refractive error. So you either wear pinhole glasses or you wear traditional glasses. Without either, you have blurry vision. And you cannot wear the pinhole glasses all the time because they sort of give you tunnel vision. You may see clearly, but miss seeing the bozo who is about to run the red light and t-bone your car.

So if you are going to wear glasses, why not just get a prescription that is individualized for you? If all you need is readers, those are really cheap.

Prescription glasses need not be expensive. A lot of the cost is in the frames.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.