U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 04:30 PM

2,187 posts, read 6,431,712 times

Advertisements

I wish I loved dark chocolate! I guess I will have to wait until the next article about another super food. I hope it is something I love!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 04:32 PM

29,527 posts, read 30,011,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
The darker the chocolate...the better.....sanspeur...it is possible to create a fabulous pizza loaded with "many things vital to good health".
Yes it is possible, but he was working for a pizza chain and ended up with undeliverable pizzas...The most popular of which is greasy and nasty.

By the way I eat one small Lindt's dark (70% cacao) bar per day, as I have been aware of the health benefits for quite awhile.

Old 08-30-2011, 06:06 PM

2,756 posts, read 5,174,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
The report, published Monday in the British medical journal BMJ, showed that those in the group that consumed the most chocolate had decreases of 37 percent in the risk of any cardiovascular disorder and 29 percent in the risk for stroke.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/30/he...revention.html
Anyone who actually thinks that eating dark chocolate is beneficial to one's health is either very naive or in a state of denial. The problem here with studies like these is that people take the results--like the alleged 37% decrease in cardio problems--to be a "causal" result rather than a "corolary" result.
What that means is, it's not the consumption of the chocolate itself that is causing the healthy benfits; rather, it's because people who eat dark chocolate most likely are of a higher-income bracket and thus more educated on health issues--since they at least know enough to eat dark rather than regular chocolate. This in turn means they probably have better diets overall, are somewhat health conscience, and probably engage in a bit of exercise than persons from a lower socio-economic bracket. For example, very few heavy drinkers or smokers regularly consume chocolate, as their own vices are sufficient for them.
Chocolate eaters, on the other hand, very likely engage only in this vice, which, while admittedly more healthy than heavy drinking or smoking or even eating a lot of fast-food (like poor people do), should not ever be construed as "healthy."
I'ts just not as bad for you as some other junk.

All clear?

Sweet.

No pun intended.

Old 08-30-2011, 06:57 PM

29,527 posts, read 30,011,537 times
Sorry I agree with part of your post, but definitely not the last sentence.
The Top 5 Brain Health Foods | BrainReady | BrainReady.com (http://www.brainready.com/blog/thetop5brainhealthfoods.html - broken link)

Old 08-30-2011, 08:01 PM

12,012 posts, read 14,041,761 times
Scientists announce amazing findings: chocolate offers huge protection from heart disease and stroke one piece a day keeps the doctor away.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:29 PM

20,324 posts, read 24,854,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
The darker the chocolate...the better.....sanspeur...it is possible to create a fabulous pizza loaded with "many things vital to good health".

My goodness! We agree on something!

Old 08-30-2011, 08:41 PM

20,324 posts, read 24,854,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoy View Post
Anyone who actually thinks that eating dark chocolate is beneficial to one's health is either very naive or in a state of denial. The problem here with studies like these is that people take the results--like the alleged 37% decrease in cardio problems--to be a "causal" result rather than a "corolary" result.
What that means is, it's not the consumption of the chocolate itself that is causing the healthy benfits; rather, it's because people who eat dark chocolate most likely are of a higher-income bracket and thus more educated on health issues--since they at least know enough to eat dark rather than regular chocolate. This in turn means they probably have better diets overall, are somewhat health conscience, and probably engage in a bit of exercise than persons from a lower socio-economic bracket. For example, very few heavy drinkers or smokers regularly consume chocolate, as their own vices are sufficient for them.
Chocolate eaters, on the other hand, very likely engage only in this vice, which, while admittedly more healthy than heavy drinking or smoking or even eating a lot of fast-food (like poor people do), should not ever be construed as "healthy."
I'ts just not as bad for you as some other junk.

All clear?

Sweet.

No pun intended.
Actually, the article is a meta-analysis of several studies. All the studies were not done in exactly the same manner, but the various studies did control for such things as education, weight, diet, and smoking.

Chocolate consumption and cardiometabolic disorders: systematic review and meta-analysis -- -- bmj.com

You can read the entire article for free here.

Chocolate consumption and cardiometabolic disorders: systematic review and meta-analysis -- Buitrago-Lopez et al. 343 -- bmj.com

For us chocolate lovers, it is nice to know that just perhaps there is a benefit in chocolate.

And to Lao: the article does say the conclusion should not give folks carte blanche to overeat. Chocolate with less fat and fewer calories, though ...

Old 09-01-2011, 02:19 PM

12,012 posts, read 14,041,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
My goodness! We agree on something!
And we should just agree to disagree on the subject we clash on!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness