Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2012, 06:01 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,520,966 times

Advertisements

If you want to take Naproxen (Aleve) long term you should talk to your doctor about combining it with misoprotol, a synthetic prostaglandin that mimics the ones that are reduced by Aleve in the GI. Combining these two medications can allow you to keep taking Aleve if you really need it while greatly reducing the chances of developing an ulcer.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 10:33 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
No, do not take it. Every time in the past when I have taken aleve, I get a strange tightness on my right side, just under my floating rib.........some sensation in my lower back.

I stick with aspirin.....2 * 500mg will knock out most any pain I have.

Old 12-18-2012, 11:10 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
I love Aleve, took 2 every morning for years, since it came out until I had a gastric bypass in 2010. Now I am limited to Tylenol. I never had any problems with the Aleve and it helped my joint pain better than anything else.

Old 12-18-2012, 11:46 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
I took some store brand Naproxen (Rite Aid) everyday for two weeks about a year ago when I was having back pain. I woke up one morning and ate a bite of breakfast with some coffee, and the next thing I knew I was having severe stomach pain so bad I was on my knees. That happened every morning for about a week. I left the stuff alone after that.

I still take Ibuprofen sometimes, but I usually take a Pepcid (and food) with it to offset the stomach irritation. All NSAIDs can cause ulcers, but it seems like Naproxen is the worst.

Old 12-22-2012, 11:52 AM

1,609 posts, read 4,686,193 times
A doctor told me naproxen can cause liver problems.

Old 04-28-2017, 10:15 AM

1 posts, read 930 times
I recently started taking Aleve for arthritis it's only been about 2 days now 1 in the morning and 1 at nite . Last nite I bent over to pick up something and my nose starting pouring blood no pain but it lasted 3 hrs stop once but I did blow my nose because it felt so stuffy and it started again . So after 3 hrs of ALOT of bleeding it stopped I didn't take the Aleve this morning could Aleve cause this . I get a nose bleed maybe when the weather changes and that's not always either . Hope to hear from someone thank you

Old 04-28-2017, 10:49 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
Yikes on the nose bleed. I never took Aleve but for my aches and pains its ibuprofen for me and so far OK, must take every dose with food in stomach. i even take a dose during some nights and keep crackers on my nightstand. Many of these pain meds up blood pressure...caution. Some have high sodium content.

I also get pretty good reduced pain with Pain RX which I probably talked about on the alternative side. J

Last edited by jaminhealth; 04-28-2017 at 12:19 PM..

Old 04-28-2017, 05:26 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
This medication may increase the risk of bleeding when taken with other drugs that also may cause bleeding. Examples include anti-platelet drugs such as clopidogrel, "blood thinners" such as dabigatran/enoxaparin/warfarin, among others.

Aleve oral : Uses, Side Effects, Interactions, Pictures, Warnings & Dosing - WebMD

Also include things like fish oil, and other herbs/supplements that thin blood (licorice, etc.)
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-29-2017, 06:19 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,246,081 times
Orthopedic MD's advice regarding my knee arthritis and meniscus issues: "Take Aleve, three tabs a day."

Me: "Say what! Even the manufacturer prescribes one every twelve hours. Besides, it has caused stomach issues in the past."

Ortho doc: "Take 'em anyway. Maybe they won't cause stomach issues this time."

And so I did. Good news: No stomach issues after two days. Bad news: Systolic blood pressure zoomed to 160 after two days. Usually in the 120s.

No more Aleve. Instead I devised a self-imposed and very rigorous rehab program featuring Xiser, elliptical, and rebounder. Knees are well enough to do chores and the left one is asymptomatic. Hopefully the next flare up won't occur until fall-winter after the growing season. Knock on wood.

Old 04-30-2017, 02:37 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,221,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Yikes on the nose bleed. I never took Aleve but for my aches and pains its ibuprofen for me and so far OK, must take every dose with food in stomach. i even take a dose during some nights and keep crackers on my nightstand. Many of these pain meds up blood pressure...caution. Some have high sodium content.

I also get pretty good reduced pain with Pain RX which I probably talked about on the alternative side. J
I guess its easy to lose track when one posts so often but you have stated MANY times previously you were OFF all NSAID's due to increase in BP

http://www.city-data.com/forum/healt...l#post46290457

So on or off the Ibuprofen?

Also please list EXACTLY which NSAID's have a high sodium content as I am not aware of ANY that even contain sodium...

If you can't list them don't make baseless, false statements....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness